The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Browne praises Powell’s high level of maturity.

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-02-24 06:47:08 

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Chief selector Courtney Browne has praised the form which has led to the return of Kieran Powell to West Indies colours and says he hopes the left-hander’s exemplary attitude can be an inspiration to other players across the region.Powell returned from a self-imposed two-year break to plunder 513 runs in the recently concluded Regional Super50, and force his way into the 15-man squad selected for England’s three-match One-Day International tour of the Caribbean.
In particular, Browne pointed to Powell’s high level of maturity which he said had been long in coming but welcomed at this stage.
“We had lots of opportunities for players to put up their hands and young Powell has displayed a level of maturity that was expected for a long, long time from him,” Browne said in an interview on CBC Radio’s Mid-Wicket show here.
This is the Powell we were expecting to see and I’m sure people right across the Caribbean who know the young man were expecting to see this level of maturity a few years back. But he is here now, has really put up his hand, he’s said ‘look, I’m ready for international cricket again’.

Full Story

Veracity 2017-02-24 17:49:01 

I was thrilled to see Powell applying himself, and raising the standard of play in the recently concluded Super 50. I think he played beautifully and maturely, and I hope his maturity and current form transcends to the next level.
Sometimes being humbled causes us to reaccess our values - baseball is a lot harder to play than cricket especially by a person that has not been trained on the intricacies of the sport.

silver 2017-02-24 17:52:10 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

We will soon find out. Don't pop the champagne bottle yet

jen 2017-02-24 21:05:26 

In reply to silver

lets hope they don't throw him away after the england series if it isn't a good one, once players showing this level of play, they should be given a fair run.