The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

WINDIES: NEW SELECTION POLICY COMING!

XDFIX 2017-02-25 00:20:39 

Link Text

positiveg 2017-02-25 06:54:11 

In reply to XDFIX

Kind of finding this so called new policy telling players to play the entire season or else kind of strangling

WICFan 2017-02-25 12:11:11 

In reply to XDFIX

The WICB cannot expect players to make themselves available for all rounds and competitions, at the same time Samuels cannot expect to play one domestic game, go globetrotting and then throw the toys out of the pram because he wasn't selected for ODI duty.

Retainer contracts need looked at as well.

cricketmad 2017-02-26 03:34:12 

In reply to WICFan

The WICB cannot expect players to make themselves available for all rounds and competitions, at the same time Samuels cannot expect to play one domestic game, go globetrotting and then throw the toys out of the pram because he wasn't selected for ODI duty.

CWI chose to send Samuels to England to work on his bowling while the Super 50 was on .Had he not gone to England he would have been available for more domestic games.

timeless99 2017-02-26 06:02:04 

What I can't understand why invest in a guy and no pick him but hopefully this new selection policy will see the best 11 on the park

Maispwi 2017-02-28 17:49:45 

In reply to positiveg

The new policy Adams hopes to introduce

Currently, only those players who have made themselves available for Caribbean regional tournaments are considered for West Indies' international sides. However, overseas domestic leagues such as the BBL, the PSL and the IPL - all of which overlap in some way with the Caribbean regional competitions - are proving irresistible to many of the most talented players, leading to a situation in Test and ODI cricket, in particular, where their best players are often deemed ineligible for selection.

"The outstanding issue now is player eligibility," Adams told ESPNcricinfo. "I'm encouraged by the fact that most, if not all parties are in agreement that what is in place now is not sustainable and might not be helping our cricket in the short or long term".

Veracity 2017-02-28 18:27:23 

In reply to Maispwi

I hope that this change in policy only relates to 20/20. This pool are primarily older players that have very little interest in representing WI.
For all the other formats the WIBC has to reward the players that are playing locally and that are under contract.
I know everyone wants to see WI back at top but that only happens with an increase in the amount of games thereby allowing the players to build their confidence to go along with their skills/talent.

timeless99 2017-02-28 18:31:25 

Welcome change to Wi cricket my eyes burns me looking at those bajan that call them self international cricketers

jballer84 2017-02-28 18:49:19 

In reply to Veracity

Really? Narine is an older player? The circle will continue and any young player that gets to a standard and is then marketable will have the same issues. Rovman Powell and all these young guys are next. We need common sense to prevail

Maispwi 2017-02-28 18:51:24 

In reply to jballer84

Exactly

jen 2017-02-28 19:05:26 

Some people have to be mad to think people will refuse US$700,000 for a 2 months job for what, unsurely over your future??? They themselves wouldn't even follow them own policy.

jballer84 2017-02-28 19:25:51 

In reply to jen

It's ridiculous. I can't understand why they have these expectations. ALL they need to do is put themselves in the same position of have to choose 700K for a 6 week competition and region tournament.. LOL.. LOL.. Wow how stupid can they be

positiveg 2017-03-01 07:23:32 

In reply to jen

What needs to happen is a balance or as close to a balnce be struck

No way those guys can get $700k for 6 weeks of work of they never step foot playing in a Wi tourney, no way. cause they had to bee seen either in Super50 or even the CPL, which actually gets the guys from the same WICB Super 50 tourney
So how all these guys come stars, cause no recruiter from the IPL fly down JA and saw Rovman playing in St. Catherine. No he was seen playing at a WICB sanctioned event.
But the thing is the WICB is more to blame for these guys having very little loyalty to them. So I hope Jimmy, with his calm demeanor and seems to be common sense, help these guys have some balance, also Mr. Grave seem to be a people person.
Or it will be a circle, guys in guys out and WI only making 20% off the players back and the team still rank in the trenches of World Cricket.

Maispwi 2017-03-01 07:34:02 

In reply to positiveg

The players also have to be willing to sacrifice something as well. They cannot expect to not feature in any regional matches and still make the team, cause without them sponsorship of our tournaments is hard to sell.

They cannot expect to prop up every foreign league in their entirety and not support their own so a balance needs to be reached.

Lets see what Adams comes up with

timeless99 2017-03-01 07:55:41 

I think every players should make them self available for 25% of the regional tournament and availabLe for every international match once selected