The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Coming Barbados next week for the Cricket, tips?

RemainsUnknown 2017-02-28 13:34:56 

Nick2020, XDFIX, Fuzzy, Cherri, etc....

This will be my 2nd trip to B'dos (1st time was a day trip via Cruise and I toured the Mount Gay distillery, then) and I'm coming for a week, now.

Besides already having my cricket-ticket for next Thursday, if there is anything you all think is noteworthy for me to checkout/tour, then I would appreciate the recommendation.

So far I made note of these:
Fish fry @ Oistins
The boat yard @ brown's beach
Harrison cave
The cliff restaurant.

Any thoughts / ideas/ tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ALL.

pelon 2017-02-28 13:48:33 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

Fish fry @ Oistins
- must do
The boat yard
- SKIP - not the same as it was 10, 15 years ago.
Harrison cave - yeah, no issue there
The cliff restaurant.
- SKIP, over-rated, ok ok ok ... well not overrated, but a high level of pretentious plumes go there just to say they go there... so unless you want to impress someone about pocket potential and not your actual gastronomy, you can skip.

Frankly: [And I know I will get cuss] You need to check out hard core local food, in that vane: Mustors in Bridgetown is a time capsule of authentic Bajan food. (warning: very down to earth)

What are you looking for? Fete/night life. Sightseeing? A rum tour?

Other little knowns you can consider:
Martins Bay. authentic fresh seafood, off the path of most tourist, a hidden gem - nothing but a small bar and the East Coast in view.
Visit: Pico Teneriffe Beautiful landscape, also not part of the standard tourist fare.
Visit St. Nicholas Abbey, and come out with quality rum, and a tour of rum history (the good, the bad and the ugly).

And yes the beaches on the West and South coast .... for all things documented and undocumented.
lol lol lol

RemainsUnknown 2017-02-28 14:34:53 

In reply to pelon

Duly noted. Thank you very much, sir.

Fete and night life not too much. 1 night is good enough.

Sightseeing and rum tour.... yeah so St. Nicholas Abbey sounds like a good deal.

I'll be up north in Speightstown and I read the beaches (as you said) on the west side are better than on the east side so i'm happy about that.

Thanks again, Pelon.

tc1 2017-02-28 15:47:59 

In reply to pelon

u work fuh the tourist board

lol lol

ayub 2017-02-28 19:55:31 

Sightseeing
around the coastline
clockwise starting north west coast

Batts Rock
Moontown for food
Archers bay
North Point/ Animal Flower cave
Little Bay
Cove Bay
Cheery tree Hill(st.nicholas abbey)
Farley Hill
Long Pond
East Coast Road
Bathsheba
Codrington College
Martins Bay
Culpepper island
Ragged point
Bottom Bay
Harrismith Bay
Sam lords Castle
Shark Hole (hidden gem)
Crane
Foul Bay
Long Beach
Silver Sands
Oistins

ayub 2017-02-28 19:59:40 

Beaches

1 Brownes Beach
- Fri. Sat. Evening try Harolds Fish Fry
2 Pebbles Beach
- try Cuz fish cutters on the beach
3 Accra Beach
4 Hot Pot
5 Folkestone
6 Heywoods
7 Dover
8 Crane
9 Miami Beach
10 Shark Hole

nick2020 2017-02-28 22:02:58 

They always looking to deport me lol

It really depends on what you are into. Would make no sense suggesting something beachy if you are not into that. But here are some suggestions:

Catamaran Cruise - Jammin', Cool Running, Tiami. You may end up at Browns beach / Carlisle bay anyway.
Martin's Bay - Thursday Night version to Oistins.
Oistins - Friday Night or Sat Night
Harrison's Cave

You will see Mecca, you can also check out Cricket Legends around the corner.

Saturday Morning - Hastings Rock, Hastings Farmers Market, walk along the board walk.

Pity it is next week as the Barbados Gold Cup is this Saturday at the Garrison Savannah. Would have seen a bunch of people taller than powen skillful racing horses at the historic track. But you can still go check out the area along with the museum and the fort.

For fine dining I would need to hear what you are looking for before I can make a recommendation. I cannot afford The Cliff but I heard it is very nice. A chef also told me it is the best in Bim. It is pricey tho. Some other options are Champers, or a more relaxed environment like Shakers in Browns Gap near Rockley, Lemon Arbor in St John or Just Grilling in Rockley and in Holetown.

sgtdjones 2017-03-01 10:18:29 

che wants to take to his favourite beach

be careful don't bend down forward.

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-01 11:00:53 

In reply to ayub

Sightseeing
around the coastline
clockwise starting north west coast

Beaches
Quite the comprehensive lists. Thank you, thank you.

SnoopDog 2017-03-01 11:08:26 

Dude, are they going to let you back into Murica? lol

Leave at your own risk. lol

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-01 11:08:57 

In reply to nick2020

They always looking to deport me lol
Why? And to where? lol

It really depends on what you are into. Would make no sense suggesting something beachy if you are not into that. But here are some suggestions:
Beaches. YES.

Catamaran Cruise - Jammin', Cool Running, Tiami. You may end up at Browns beach / Carlisle bay anyway.
Martin's Bay - Thursday Night version to Oistins.
Oistins - Friday Night or Sat Night
Harrison's Cave
Cool. These look awesome.

You will see Mecca, you can also check out Cricket Legends around the corner.
Can't wait to go into the Mecca. Last time I was in B'dos for the day, on the way back to the Cruise ship, I asked the minibus driver how far a way the cricket-ground was and he said, better than telling you, I'll pass by for you to see it.

Saturday Morning - Hastings Rock, Hastings Farmers Market, walk along the board walk.
Will keep this in mind. I'm making a list for each day.

Pity it is next week as the Barbados Gold Cup is this Saturday at the Garrison Savannah. Would have seen a bunch of people taller than powen skillful racing horses at the historic track. But you can still go check out the area along with the museum and the fort.
Hahah. yesh, won't make that.

For fine dining I would need to hear what you are looking for before I can make a recommendation. I cannot afford The Cliff but I heard it is very nice. A chef also told me it is the best in Bim. It is pricey tho. Some other options are Champers, or a more relaxed environment like Shakers in Browns Gap near Rockley, Lemon Arbor in St John or Just Grilling in Rockley and in Holetown.
I don't really care for "fine dining" on vacation. I always rather eat the local food and quench my thirst with the local beer. In this case, eat some flying fish and drink some Banks for example. But I'll note the other spots you mentioned other than The Cliff.

Thanks for all the info tho. I truly appreciate it. Will you be at the game next thursday?

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-01 11:09:53 

In reply to sgtdjones

che wants to take to his favourite beach

be careful don't bend down forward.
Only if he promises to take me to see Rhi-Rhi. lol

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-01 11:13:18 

In reply to SnoopDog

Dude, are they going to let you back into Murica? lol

Leave at your own risk. lol
Good question. Last month I was approved and got my Global Entry Card for even quicker access in and out of the airports. But hey... you never know. lol If anything, I come stay by you in Buxton till I figure out what to do next. lol lol lol lol

Kay 2017-03-01 11:18:21 

Snoops deh in Melanie ... not Buxton smile

SnoopDog 2017-03-01 11:36:06 

Good question. Last month I was approved and got my Global Entry Card for even quicker access in and out of the airports. But hey... you never know. lol If anything, I come stay by you in Buxton till I figure out what to do next.

Will you be deported back to Barbados and claim refugee status there? lol

Tryangle 2017-03-01 12:19:17 

Any racing happening at Bushy Park that week?

tc1 2017-03-01 12:46:23 

In reply to ayub

all second class beaches with the exception of Folkestone and Haywood. the strip from Sandy Lane to Haywood.
lol lol lol lol

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-02 10:20:58 

nick2020 / ayub / pelon --

Any thoughts on a round of golf?

I looked into Sandy Lane (preferably a course for its water-views).

Any others I should look into? Thank you.

pelon 2017-03-02 10:48:48 

Our golf courses are 7/10 except for Westmooreland and Sandy Lane, personally I would skip golf for a couple days and complete the wonderful list by nick above...

Of the two, I prefer Sandy Lane [see bias below]. However, they are BOTH ridiculously expensive. It falls into the same category of The Cliff restaurant: bajan over-priced product. (nothing to do with real quality)
If it is Vistas you seek while golfing: Westmooreland does have beautiful vistas of the coast, as you stated "water views" - then that would be the recommendation. Club house is 10/10 also. [Book in advance though]

Disclaimer: before Sudden comes for me and piss parade, I lived/golfed in Sandy Lane in the 80's

RemainsUnknown 2017-03-02 11:25:40 

In reply to pelon

Thank you, again.

I lived/golfed in Sandy Lane in the 80's
wow. That's pretty cool. cool