The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Dangerous criminals

black 2017-03-17 08:26:16 

Can they be rehabilitated?

I am not talking about petty criminals, I'm talking about brutal murderers, rapists and child molesters.

There was a 19 year old guy that brutally murdered a college student in Austin last year, can this person be safely allowed back on the streets again, after serving his time?

Should they (people like him) be locked up for life?

Drapsey 2017-03-17 08:39:12 

In reply to black

Bring back the death penalty.

Oops, they still have the death penalty in Texas.

Apply the death penalty regardless of the subject's race.

ray 2017-03-17 09:09:04 

In reply to black

I don't think so....some things are innate

black 2017-03-17 09:35:15 

In reply to ray

Some people might argue that they themselves (criminals) were abused. Some might have developed a hatred for women because they were abused by their mothers. They might have been sexually abused as children and are repeating the same behaviors.

Should we give them a second chance, based on that?

What about the abusive person that created this monster?

granite 2017-03-17 10:56:06 

In reply to black
While I lived in TT I got beten up many time,sometimes I did the beating up,all that stopped when I was in my early teens.I didn't go on to become a bad boy,I also got very bad beatings from my mother and father,that didn't make me an abuser of any kind.That argument is bull,some people just grow up with a nasty and warped character.

black 2017-03-17 11:10:21 

In reply to granite

I think it's important to make a distinction between discipline and abuse. I am leaning on the side of stiff punishment but I am not an expert.

Tryangle 2017-03-17 11:30:12 

Murder is such a heinous crime, it really should mean one's life is forfeit. Whether that takes the form of capital punishment or permanent removal from society, that's another matter. Things like eligibility for parole should be struck off the books in those cases.

black 2017-03-17 11:40:19 

In reply to Tryangle

Murder is such a heinous crime, it really should mean one's life is forfeit. Whether that takes the form of capital punishment or permanent removal from society, that's another matter. Things like eligibility for parole should be struck off the books in those cases.

Yes, for premeditated murderers.

There are cases where people act out of passion (cheating spouses) and came to regret it. Those people might be able to be rehabilitated.