The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Even after all this Bajan criticism ...

Ray123 2017-03-19 12:06:36 

If they decide go at it alone don't think the rest would last as long as a snowcone.
Trinidad and Jamaica could field decent teams but I'm not so sure anyone else can.

doosra 2017-03-19 12:18:48 

In reply to Ray123

yes indeed. they are about to 3peat as regional 4 day champs

imusic 2017-03-19 12:22:31 

Jamaica did a 5 peat. This is nothing new.

Dung heap 4 day cricket STILL SUCKS and all the franchise this and that hasn't changed a Forkane thing regarding developing quality international players

The ONLYreal progress that has been made is in the shortest form of the game. And that remains the ONLY ARENA where, aside from the odd exception, we produce quality international class cricketers.

doosra 2017-03-19 12:34:28 

In reply to imusic

u miss the point

doosra 2017-03-19 12:35:52 

In reply to imusic

if they are only good at 20-20 are they still intl quality

dont rush to a conclusion. read that again

NYCGURU 2017-03-19 12:36:14 

In reply to imusic

My sentiments exactly. Am only interested in the ability to produce quality test players. Folks can beat their chest about Island pride,the fact remains we have not produced test quality players and that is why we are at the bottom of the rankings.

doosra 2017-03-19 12:37:24 

In reply to NYCGURU

but imusic still thinks about the 20-20 stars as intl quality

9/10 of them cannot play anything beyond 20-20 for any decent intl team...in fact can they even make another intl team outside of 20-20 and so how intl quality are they?

Ray123 2017-03-19 12:40:16 

In reply to doosra

Guyana was not included because their main players are an ageing Shiv ChanderPaul and a Barbadian.. otherwise they don't inspire much confidence for the future.

Timpy 2017-03-19 12:42:18 

In reply to doosra

Gayle and Narine can make any team in the world in both of the shorter versions of cricket.

Timpy 2017-03-19 12:43:22 

In reply to imusic

Dont we have to give the franchise thing some more time before we come to such conclusion?

Gun_Play 2017-03-19 12:54:41 

Cuss the bajans and can't get them beat.

Yet to lose a 4 day game this season.

A case of the best of the worst.

Ray123 2017-03-19 13:01:50 

In reply to Gun_Play

That is exactly my point. I can't make calls for a player to make the team when they can't out perform the same players we want dropped in regional cricket.
This is when they should prove the selectors wrong.

tc1 2017-03-19 14:34:22 

In reply to imusic

And you really think that Bim will not rise up as a T20 powerhouse.

hawk 2017-03-19 14:34:58 

In reply to Gun_Play

Cuss the bajans and can't get them beat.

oh how they are missing this point, Barbados pride is the best side in the league notwithstanding Guyana Jaguars has won the title last two years, they also proved they are the best List A side recently, yet all the complaining about the quantity of bajans on the West Indies side, i am still not seeing worthy replacements, no one is doing enough to unseat the incumbents

hawk 2017-03-19 14:37:41 

In reply to Timpy

Gayle and Narine can make any team in the world in both of the shorter versions of cricket.

you can't be serious

Veracity 2017-03-19 15:03:50 

In reply to imusic

No island(players) can think that their superior because in the context of the big-picture WI cricket is in the lower quarter of world cricket. Sure the current level is below par but it is what we currently have, and if players are consistently performing then they should be rewarded.
I hear all comments about who should be picked for the ODI and 20/20 teams, and most of the players identified can't bat 25 overs or even for 2-sessions.
Players need to consistent (couple years of good contributions) before anyone should be thinking of them graduating to the highest level.
We have several tools at our disposal - look at other cricket playing nations and see what they are doing as it relates to players transiting to highest level, as well as the infrastructure.

Norm 2017-03-19 15:15:22 

Despite being seriously mismanaged by ambitious non-cricketers, the Guyana team is currently leading the first class competition points table. A match between the Guyana and Barbados teams in the next round should indicate which is the better team currently in first class cricket.

Any suggestions for improving West Indies cricket? There is an over-abundance of condemnation already.

Fans wanted a franchise system and they got it. This seems to have at least arrested the decline in the short term.

Fans complained that Cameron was the problem. Yet he got re-elected - again - this time unopposed.

Seems like those criticizing for the sake of criticizing are just a bunch of whiners to me.

doosra 2017-03-19 15:23:24 

In reply to Norm

if there's any hope it's that we have a group of 20-25s around that needs some nurturing but hey we have always had plenty

Hety
Shepherd
Lil Shiv
Paul
----------
etc

sunfish 2017-03-19 15:45:40 

The standards were higher in first half of the 4 day competition. Looks like a struggle after the break. Dunno maybe men became mentally jaded.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-03-19 15:47:17 

In reply to sunfish

... if that the case then they are not ready for international cricket

Timpy 2017-03-19 15:49:47 

In reply to hawk

Maybe you need to tell me a team in the world that they both would not be able to make and I am talking about the two shorter versions.

tc1 2017-03-19 16:01:11 

In reply to Norm

If you look at the last 3 years, u see that Bim had a higher percentage of rainout matches.
Let see how the direct mstch up play out this round .

Timpy 2017-03-19 16:08:41 

In reply to hawk

Looking on Warner last night, it seems like Gayle can make their test team as well. Zampa will play for them in the shorter version. Is Zampa better than Narine?

Anyway, I am waiting on the two opening bats them in lets say the top 4 international teams that Gayle wouldnt be able to replace.I have seen Gayle made International bowlers cry eye water big grin

hawk 2017-03-19 16:12:05 

In reply to Timpy

Narine is only effective in T20 as a batsmen don' have time to waste ball, they must go after the bowling this is how he thrives in ODI and even more in test you have time to be patient hence if you look at his stats, they get worse in the longer formats, plus all other teams have equally or better equipped spinners across formats

Gayle...which team will invest in a player who is constantly injured and unavailable for one reason or the next, a player who with all his success still lacks consistency, Gayle will make any T20 side, but that is as far as it goes for him

Timpy 2017-03-19 17:14:14 

In reply to hawk

Gayle play a great amount of successive games in all format. In the shorter version is stats are not far off from every great Windies opener in the past.

A lot of good players get injury often and they still invest in them. Starc comes to mind.

hawk 2017-03-19 18:00:26 

In reply to Timpy

Starc is much younger than Gayle, who is clearly late in the afternoon of his cricketing career, tender back, tender hamstring, i would not risk him in anything other than T20.

mikesiva 2017-03-24 15:47:05 

In reply to Ray123

Barbados are the best of a bad bunch. Bravo and Samuels are unlikely to play Tests against Pakistan so we could see a top seven like this in the first test...

Kraigg Braithwaite
Anthony alleyne or Kyle hope
Shai Hope
Jermaine Blackwood
Shamar Brooks
Roston chase
Shane dowrich

And we will still lose. ...

John Campbell and yannick cariah need to up their game if they want to challenge for a position. Jahmar Hamilton is in with a shot. The selectors might just take a chance with kieran Powell. But there's not much else to shout about.

Brandon king and shimron Hetmyer need another season at the very least.