The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Fortunes of the West Indies team will be turned around- Conde Riley

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-03-22 08:04:57 

The West Indies might not be winning Tests and One-Day International matches regularly, but several measures have been implemented by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) over the past three years that should halt the team’s decline in international cricket, says WICB director Conde Riley.

In an interview with Barbados TODAY Riley was adamant that the fortunes of the West Indies team will be turned around as the policies implemented start to take root. He suggested that there have already been a few signs of things to come in the future.

“About three years ago the board took the decision to employ Richard Pybus (former director of cricket) to look at the rebuilding of West Indies first-class cricket. One of his first initiatives was the expansion of the first-class season from five to ten matches. The regional one-day tournament was also expanded. We also professionalised regional cricket by contracting 15 players in each of the six territories,” Riley stated.

He added: “The contracting of these players in my view was a revolutionary development in our cricket. It allowed 90 cricketers from throughout the region to go to work on a daily basis with cricket as their main focus. They could train, get fit and prepare themselves fully for the task of playing cricket. I think that this will lead to the better development of our young cricketers in the future.”

read more at Barbados Today

Full Story

Sheik 2017-03-22 08:22:53 

Conde,

REHASHED TRASH!!!!

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

Courtesy 2017-03-22 08:32:54 

Let's examine Mr. Riley's main indices in the article for achieving the success in West Indies cricket thus far:

* Being fit.

* Being given a professional contract.

* Discipline.

Sadly, Mr. Riley's measurement of success failed to include a yardstick for the main indices below:

+ Batting.

+ Bowling

+ Fielding.

+ International standard pitches.

When the bar for evaluation is set so low, this significantly increases the chances of achieving your strategic objectives (fake success) and it is tantamount to burying your head in the sand and will definitely not achieve your overall strategic goal.

The immediate srategic imperative for the WICB should be to get players exposed to professional coaching setup (academy type) at the soonest.

No amount of fitness training, dollars in the pockets of unqualified players and discipline will achieve the strategic goal of developing world class players without the concomitant investments in training facilities and world class coaching with emphasis placed at the junior level.

Mr. Riley and his colleagues in the merry WICB band will do well to set the bar for success much higher or continue to wallow in the mud as we have been doing for the past 20 years. Alternatively, the WICB may invest in buying runs and wickets for our international cricketers.

Sheik 2017-03-22 10:32:17 

Courtesy,

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE VERY RARE OCCASIONS WHERE I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

Courtesy 2017-03-22 10:44:00 

In reply to Sheik

Courtesy,

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE VERY RARE OCCASIONS WHERE I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

It was my wish that you would have dissented. I am now in the midst of the lowest of the low...definitely not a place I want to be. Please, I beg of you,...take back your viewpoint.

big grin

Kay 2017-03-22 10:44:08 

Is Conde Bajan?

Sheik 2017-03-22 10:48:53 

Courtesy,

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

bobby 2017-03-22 13:43:25 

In reply to Courtesy
Fortunes can be turned around when we jail Riley, Cameron and the rest of the Bandits. That would be a start.

Pacy 2017-03-22 13:48:31 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

One of the constant names who comes around defending WICB through the Since early 2000's in media is this Conde Riley... If only half of what he said since then WI cricket would be much better off today. Joker

POINT 2017-03-22 16:38:53 

His failure to mention the fact that
the WICBC bears a hell of a lot of the blame regarding the State of Cricket in the Region ; the PISS POOR Standard in the Region speaks volumes in my opinion .

Conde Riley is simply another one
of the APOLOGISTS secreted in the
WICBC . I am waiting for ANY Member of the Worst International
Cricket Board in the Commonwealth
, aka the WICBC & Members of the
Regional Cricket Boards to lament
the fact that the WICBC has bluntly
refused to change is structure since its founding in 1909 .

NOW THIS IS DESPITE THE FACT

THAT THE WICBC HAS FOR YEARS

COMMISSIONED SEVERAL

REPORTS AND ADAMANTLY

REFUSED TO PUT IN PLACE THE

CHANGES THESE VARIOUS

REPORTS RECOMMENDED .

Let me again state the fact that
the WICBC is aided & abetted by
most of the sports Personalities &
sports Journalists in the Region .

This unholy alliance has destroyed
& is still destroying not onlyCricket in the Region , but also the Standard & Competitiveness of
Our Players & Teams .

Fivestar 2017-03-22 23:45:00 

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!

birdseye 2017-03-23 06:45:21 

Conde Riley….. it is heartwarming to see you are finally returning to the infrastructural environment that produced WI cricketers, the likes of Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Rohan Kanhai, Lance Gibbs, Michael Holding, Clive Lloyd …..great to see you bringing back the era of players on retainer contracts, players no longer have to work 9 to 5 jobs to support themselves …..damn, I wonder how Brian Lara, Courtney Walsh, and Curtly Ambrose ever became a great cricketers –they must have fallen thru the cracks ….. did anyone mention talent and love and dedication to the craft

Walco 2017-03-23 06:45:41 

Earth to Conde and the other WICB/CWI spin doctors - The fortunes of West Indies will never turn around until the WICB stops alienating and sidelining our best players. Until then, the WICB will remain a mere feeder program for the IPL, Big Bash, etc.

Emir 2017-03-23 07:18:13 

“About three years ago the board took the decision to employ Richard Pybus (former director of cricket) to look at the rebuilding of West Indies first-class cricket. One of his first initiatives was the expansion of the first-class season from five to ten matches

Every time these idiots speak, it exposes how they are woefully unfit to lead.

Imagine, this idiot is boasting about hiring an Englishman for millions of dollars earned by the sweat and blood of the players, to implement the expansion of the first class season and contracting domestic players as full time.

These "radical" ideas have been known and promoted and fans for ages now.

Wow.

natty_forever 2017-03-23 10:32:33 

In reply to Courtesy

The immediate srategic imperative for the WICB should be to get players exposed to professional coaching setup (academy type) at the soonest.

No amount of fitness training, dollars in the pockets of unqualified players and discipline will achieve the strategic goal of developing world class players without the concomitant investments in training facilities and world class coaching with emphasis placed at the junior level.
... agree!

natty_forever 2017-03-23 10:35:18 

In reply to Emir.. and here I am calling courtesy "Don Quixote", when the CWI fighting windmills to death!

Pacy 2017-03-23 10:40:10 

In reply to natty_forever

I remember the idea of satellite academies across all cricketing regions was said during Ken Gordon's time... Interesting that we are still talking about the same after a decade as to be done item.

Cleg 2017-03-23 11:46:22 

In reply to natty_forever

. agree!

You notice the Lucian peeps now quoting `Onry!

natty_forever 2017-03-23 12:27:06 

In reply to Cleg... a that a gwaan.

lol lol lol

natty_forever 2017-03-23 12:28:03 

In reply to Pacy... WI cricket stuck in 1995 mud.

POINT 2017-03-23 13:45:42 

In reply to Emir

YOU are absolutely correct in your assessment Conde Riley is just another APOLOGIST for the

WORST INTERNATIONAL CRICKET

BOARD IN THE COMMONWEALTH

AKA THE WICBC .

The more People like Condie Riley
speak , the more Out of Touch the
WICBC & its Sycophants are regarding their utter Incompetence
of the REAL CAUSES for the Demise
of West Indies Cricket in the Region .
Quite frankly , ignoring the recommendations of the several
Reports THEY Commissioned , is
precisely why Cricket in the Region
is in an absolutel mess.

THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN FOR

THE REGIONAL BOARDS & THE

MEMBERS OF THE WICBC IS SELF

PRESERVATION .

Not a blasted thing else matters to
these People . For years they have
been conning the People in the
Region .

Every few years , they change Managers, Coaches ; Players etc
in a crdue effort to Bamboozle the
Public .

It is high time that people come to the realization that all these cosmetic changes has not and will
never ever change the fortunes of
West Indies Cricket especially in the
longer versions of the game .

They all relish being MIMIC MEN ,
totally oblivious to the fact that they
are leading a doomed Entity , simply
because , THEY refuse to heed the
calls from the several Reports they
themselves commissioned , and then deep sixed .

POINT 2017-03-24 12:21:04 

I find it interesting that none of the
Bajans have come here to defend
th great Condie Riely .

Riely has been & is a staunch supporter of the Worst International
Cricket Board in the Commonwealth ,aka the WICBC .

Frankly it aint about Managers ; Coaches; Captains or Players ; because THEY HAVE ALL BEEN CHANGED .

Yet despite this , the fortunes of our
Teams in the International Cricket Arena particularly in the longer versions of the game has not changed .

Obviously then WE need to turn the
spotight on ALL who are involved
in the governance of Cricket in the
Region . That in my opinion is precisely where the problems lie.

What does it say of an Entity that
commissioned several Reports and
swiftly dismissed them , because
those Reports call for Restructuring
Transparency ; Accountability &
Good Governance .

The sad thing is that those in the WICBC bluntly refuse to be brought into the 21st Century , or change
its Free wheeling governance .

The Truth is that the WICBC is a reflection of the Regional Cricket Boards , that like the WICBC lack
Transparency ; Accountability & Good Governance .

The above facts are obfuscated by
the WICBC's charade of firing Managers; Coaches ; Players , while
still adhering to its 1909 Structure .

camos 2017-03-24 12:35:40 

and you guys expected some other assessment from a person who is part of the policy team? rolleyes