The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

IN THE ENGLISH SPEAKING CARIBBEAN

POINT 2017-03-22 14:41:09 

St. Lucia is the only Country
that can boast of having Persons who have won the
Noble Prize , Arthur Lewis
for economics & Derek Wallcott for Literature .

They have both not only brought honour to St. Lucia
but also the Region as a whole .

I am always amused when I
hear persons in this Forum
reciting about how Big their
Country is , and their mineral Resources .

openning 2017-03-22 15:00:45 

In reply to POINT

Dude are you comparing a country national resources which can employ thousands or millions of people, to individuals accomplishments?
We are all proud of the two Noble Laureates

TheTrail 2017-03-22 15:42:04 

I am always amused when I
hear persons in this Forum
reciting about how Big their
Country is , and their mineral Resources .

Watch it, the ATM guys coming for you soon. smile

camos 2017-03-22 15:54:33 

In reply to POINT

didn't a Trini also won !

nitro 2017-03-22 17:44:04 

In reply to POINT

That is sensational. How did that help their economy?

bravos 2017-03-22 20:36:07 

In reply to POINT

We see Derek Walcott as all of ours,you think it's only his St.Lucia experiences that inspired him to greatness? Do you think he could've achieved it without being part of a wider Caribbean culture which his work was recognized for in the first place? I'm willing to give up T&T's own Nobel Prize any day for just one more day of collective Caribbean culture and it has nothing to do with economics.

Thanks for educating us all today because many of us had no clue of Lucia's Nobel Prize dominance and prowess,now we know St.Lucia has not one but 2 Nobel laureates,one for literature and one for economics!! Should we stop at the Nobel Prizes? We all have things others don't,but if you wanna ridicule successes of others because 2 of your countrymen have won a prize sanctioned by one private old boy's organization or another well sir your work has just begun ,which I'm certain Mr.Walcott could've succinctly and eloquently surmised in a paragraph or two.

By all means celebrating and cheering them on for excellence in their respective fields is one thing,but coming here and ranting down about Nobel Prize quantities compared to others says a lot and it's very un-'nobel.

Find out if there's a prize for insularity,arrogance and shallowness,if so you're in for a third,congrats and your dominance will be well secured because chances are Lara may break the world record for a third time,RhiRhi may win 8 more Grammys,Bob Marley may release a new album,David Rudder may release 'Caribbean man to the skin' and Jerk chicken,beef patty,roti,doubles may all become illegal before anyone else in the region comes close to 3 Nobel Prizes.

Congrats.

What's the first winner's name again? And he won for whaaaat?? rolleyes

sgtdjones 2017-03-22 22:26:06 

In reply to camos

Listen nah POINT is pointless.

Yes, Naipaul and recently another Trini shared the prize,
I don't remember his name

POINT 2017-03-22 22:54:08 

In reply to bravos

Derek Walcott lived in Trinidad for some time , and was influential in the Little Carib Theatre , where he staged Plays .

BTW , V S Naipaul also won the Nobel Prize for Literature . I however am not a fan of Naipaul ,
I am of the opinion that he wrote very disparagingly about Trinidadians.

Emir 2017-03-23 07:23:09 

In reply to POINT

I see no reason to make such claim.

We are all very proud of our peole who maade it big in the global stage, be it poetry, writing, medicine or sports.

The Caribbean people hold Derek as their own.

Remember Black Stalin, "The Caribbean Man.

Enjoy this

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 10:35:31 

bravos

Ya hear POINTless hexplanation

he doh like Naipaul so he Nobel Prize doh count.

He wrote nasty stuff about us Trini's

the majority of his writing had to do with an hindian upbringing in T&T , n his family.

insular or whot?

POINT 2017-03-23 10:43:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

Dummy , i stated that Naipaul won the Noble Prize for Literature .
In another Paragraph I also stated
that I did not like Naipaul because he was very disparaging to the people of Trinidad & Tobago .

Frankly I got the impression that
Naipaul was & is a very pompous
person . I believe that I am entitled
to my opinion .

Now if you take objection to that
then you are stripped of your rank
to being a Private . Now GET LOST .

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 10:45:55 

In reply to POINT

The above is your opening paragraph on this thread.Show me where is Naipaul name here nah.

when ya not sure , it's wise not to comment.

I am of the POINT dat when ever ya calling people names ya frustrated and lost
the debate carry on .

lol lol lol lol

granite 2017-03-23 12:07:22 

In reply to POINT
He was a pompous man but that doesn't take away his brilliance,he is well noted and famous and doesn't need Caribbean people to sing his praises,he has won many accolades.You are not the only person who dislikes him,ask any body form India,they hate him.

granite 2017-03-23 12:23:32 

In reply to sgtdjones
You are wrong ,I say that because I have seen quite a bit of his books and just browsed,my brother who studied Drama had the books.One of his books as far as I can remember was about an Indo Trini.I didn't see a load a books about Hindians.

POINT 2017-03-23 12:49:18 

In reply to sgtdjones

THe point that I was & am making is the fact that St. Lucia is the only English speakig Caribbean that has had the honour of having 2 Noble Prize Winners .

[Private djones , please meditate on that freaking fact that has apparently escaped your Puny Brain .

POINT 2017-03-23 12:54:08 

In reply to granite

I apologize if you thought that I was
disparaging his writings , that was & is not my intention .

I have seen interviews with him , and I still believe that he is a Pompous person , who I believe
dislikes the people in the country
where he was born .That I find
exceedingly Sad .

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 13:07:56 

In reply to POINT

POINTY head

THe point that I was & am making i the fact that St. Lucia is the only English speakig Caribbean that has had the honour of having 2 Noble Prize Winners .

[Private djones , please editate on that freaking fact that has apparently escaped your Puny Brain .

If you check you would see T&T gats two also

One in science

when you no nutting keep quiet .

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 13:14:07 

In reply to granite

Most of his books relate to experiences he had when growing up in a small village
in T&T.

He in writing eloquently and subtly give hints, his metaphors can relate to his
father and grandfather in his writings.

He has spoken about such during the few lectures, he has given.

Naipaul gets bored owing to a hormone imbalance and thus he becomes agitated
easily, thus giving the arrogance that he is portrayed as.

His brother whom Naipaul on occasions refer to, was a better writer than the Nobel winner.
Unfortunately he died early.

I am familiar with his relatives who live quietly in St James, Port Of Spain.

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 13:20:18 

This is for POINTY Head who knows nutting about Caribbean Nobel prize winners.

Trinis share Nobel prize
Tuesday 16th October, 2007

John Agard senior lecturer, life sciences, faculty of science and agriculture, at UWI’s St Augustine campus joint winner of the Nobel Peace prize for Climate Change.
Roger Pulwarty testifies on the work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change before the United States Congress.

WHEN UWI professor John Agard went to his computer on Friday morning, little did the country’s leading environmental scientist know he was a Nobel laureate.

Within minutes he got word that he would be sharing the Nobel Peace Prize with former United States Vice President Al Gore.

“It’s amazing,” Agard said yesterday, making sure to note that the prize is actually being shared with the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) of which he is “only a member.”

Agard—senior lecturer, life sciences, faculty of science and agriculture, at UWI’s St Augustine campus and chairman on the Environmental Management Authority—is not the only Trinidadian to be sharing in the glory of international recognition for scientific work.

So too is Roger Pulwarty, a senior physical scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in Colorado, USA, and the director for the US National Integrated Drought Information System.Contacted on campus yesterday afternoon, Agard said he got the news about the prestigious prize early Friday morning, some five hours before the official announcement by the Norwegian Nobel Committee.

He said: “I was up at 6 am doing e-mail. I got an e-mail at 6.02 saying that the (Nobel) Peace Prize was awarded to Al Gore and the IPCC.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 13:22:41 

In reply to POINT

Again to show how much you know .

It's, It's NOBEL not Noble as you noted in your thread .

bravos 2017-03-23 13:48:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

And he should run far from that word..Noble. lol

bravos 2017-03-23 13:55:24 

In reply to POINT

"and the winner is"!!??

We don't need a nobel prize for national validation...but hey I have no problem with you milking the subject as much as possible,I mean you really don't have much else to talk about that's unique to Lucia on the international stage or even the Caribbean for that matter

Beautiful St.Lucia is as generic a Caribbean experience as can be and it is that same Caribbean influence that has inspired Walcott.

Pal it is clear to me that 'Dottie' is a state of mind,lol,open up your mind like your 2 esteemed and internationally recognized laureates.

It would be a sad day indeed if our national pride and success were based on how many Nobel and other prizes we got.

If Walcott hadn't won would his work been worth any less to you? Or is he great because some committee of old farts says so?

bravos 2017-03-23 14:18:47 

In reply to POINT

IN THE ENGLISH SPEAKING CARIBBEAN

Is 'English' allyuh does call dat twang? lol

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 14:28:29 

In reply to bravos

you just chased Pointy off he own thread.

It's vexing to have people post false facts

If I don't know anything about the topic I stay away and read.

Kay 2017-03-23 14:29:57 

In reply to POINT

You deserve a Nobel prize all by yourself. Just when one thought you will soon run out of enough shyte to spew here you always come up with a new flavour!!!

sgtdjones 2017-03-23 20:38:21 

In reply to Kay

Ouch

big grin big grin big grin big grin

bravos 2017-03-24 19:33:51 

In reply to sgtdjones

'Noble' prize..

POINT 2017-03-24 20:49:59 

I apologise for misspelling Alfred
Nobel's name , and also not knowing other Persons who have won the Nobel Prize .

Interestngly while at Baruch College
attending a Modern Literature class
the Professor praised the writings of Gabriel Garcia Marquez , who wrote " ONE THOUSAND DAYS OF
SOLITUDE " .

About 5 years later , it was announced that Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize for
Literature .

bravos 2017-03-24 21:10:07 

In reply to POINT

Wow so this thing coulda been called the Alfred Prize just the same...hmmm.