The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

5 Things Not To Do In Barbados

ProWI 2017-03-29 04:52:11 

A tourist primer.

See the pic in the article, I grew up on that beach. It was once considered one of the greatest in the world. That was before climate change and sea erosion reduced it sand surface area by about a third of its original size, as when I growing as a young boy and playing cricket on that beach.

Last year I stayed at the resort overlooking the beach, to rekindle my spirit and in essence to recapture some of those boyhood memories, but was devastated by the on-going erosion and the invasion of an unwelcome nuisance - Sargassum seaweed.

So when, yesterday, President Trump signed regulations top nullify Obama's climate change efforts, someone should have alerted him to the immediacy of negative impact on the economy of some countries due to climate changes on ocean temperatures and the growth of Sargassun seaweed.

According to scientists interviewed by the AP, warming ocean temperatures and changes in ocean currents linked to climate change are fueling what sargassum expert Brian Lapointe said are “harmful algal blooms.”

“These seaweeds have been around for a long time,” Lapointe told Public Radio International. “They were first encountered by Columbus but really since 2011, we’ve been seeing an extreme amount of biomass of this seaweed coming ashore the beaches all around the North Atlantic region and the Caribbean. And 2015 was a particularly bad year.”

Some researchers believe that the blooms are being by fueled bt sewage waste, nitrogen-heavy fertilizers or other pollutants and land-based nutrients washing into the ocean. “The nutrients may be increasing to a point where they’re fertilizing this seaweed, allowing them to grow faster and reach a greater amount of biomass,” Lapointe told PRI.

Curtis 2017-03-29 07:33:25 

In reply to ProWI

is that Batts Rock?

Sheik 2017-03-29 09:16:51 

ProWI,

ALL THE BLAME FOR WHAT IS CURRENTLY HAPPENING HERE AND NOW, AND MORE THAT IS SURELY COMING OUR WAY (I.E. CLIMATE CHANGE, RESOURCE DEPLETION, ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION .....), MUST BE LAID AT THE DOORSTEP OF CAPITALISM MATE!!

CAPITALISM IS GUILTY AS CHARGED AND SHOULD BE PUT TO DEATH IMMEDIATELY!!!

GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

Tryangle 2017-03-29 10:19:12 

But seriously, what is up with that camouflage ban? And the extent of how seriously it's taken?

bravos 2017-03-29 12:17:49 

In reply to Tryangle

So serious I had to buy a T-Shirt for Soca on the hill and surrender offending garment at entrance..and it was a fitted sleeveless camo vest,totally un-military..same here in T&T but only incident I had they took couple pairs of my kids' nice new shorts etc at the airport after a shopping trip after we declared our shopping ffs!! redface

Lady smiled and took all camo, about 6 items....I mean it' s an offence after all...steups...she also wanted to take some bamboo print stuff too,I protested and pointed out that's not military camo despite similarity...

Backward law.. evil

And I want to buy a surplus REAL 'demilitarized' Hummer from the US Army ffs!!

POINT 2017-03-29 12:25:17 

In reply to Tryangle

SVG has the same Rule also , in
SVG , that is the uniform worn by
the rapid Response Teams .

I have no idea whether that may also be the case in Barbados . perhaps someone from BIM will
enlighten US regarding this matter .

BeachBum 2017-03-29 18:29:36 

In reply to POINT
It is still against the law to wear camouflage garments in public in Barbados. I even got word a few months ago that if customs sees such garments in your suitcase when you arrive, they can be confiscated. Not sure if that last part is true though.

nick2020 2017-03-29 19:50:12 

In reply to BeachBum

Yes it can and will be.
Same goes to realistic looking toy guns.

sgtdjones 2017-03-30 10:34:29 

Dem say if CHE invites ya to go to a beach

run like rass lol lol lol

bravos 2017-03-30 11:32:32 

In reply to sgtdjones

Che/she has a camo batty rider..

Tryangle 2017-03-30 12:32:57 

In reply to BeachBum

A few years ago, we flew in to Barbados on the late JetBlue from New York. I had totally forgotten about that law, so my then-4-year-old boy, at 2:30am or whatever time it was, the customs guy was sternly pointing out my child's camo pants. He suggested I changes his clothes right then and there.

I was all "we'll take our chances" and cut a trail.

My wife, who hadn't ever been to Barbados, was giving the customs guy and me WTF looks throughout.

The funny thing is that they'd probably be just as hard line if it was hot pink or bright orange "camo" wear, but wouldn't blink if it was striped or checker-patterned green/brown/black. Strange law, nevertheless.

defeyeant 2017-03-30 15:25:00 

If I remember correctly (and I was a child at the point) back in the late 70s or early 80s there were some bandits going around in camouflage and military type attire similar to the Bajan defense force and robbing people in the island. That triggered the banning of everything with camouflage or military related. So this ban been in effect a good thirty something years now

defeyeant 2017-03-30 15:25:58 

In reply to Tryangle

my wife once arrived in Bim with a camouflage rag she picked up at some soca fete up here. They took it away from her

bravos 2017-03-30 16:44:10 

In reply to defeyeant

Yeah man ,she coulda camouflage a big Rambo rat or she elbow with that and reek havoc in Bim! Lol even modern military camo is different nowadays..most of the times they're in solid green or other solid colours anyway,so best dey ban green too?

In T&T you cannot paint your vehicle army green or Coast Guard blue.I don;t know how the local red Ferraris make out because I also heard about fire engine red being in the same category..lol

Outswinger 2017-03-30 20:48:47 

In reply to ProWI

See the pic in the article, I grew up on that beach.

Wait, wait, wait, Pro!!!!! I grew up on dat beach! "Dah beach is mine!"

OK, I know dat beach very well, and just so you know that I am fuh real, we used to come down de steps and through de little tunnel by Little Bay, pass by de rock and swim out to de boats. Den run some waves wid de boys, even with Judge Hanshell boys. Sometimes swim from Beachyhead around de cliff to dat beach! Yuh know wuh Ah talking bout? If you grew up on dat beach you probably know about diving seaegg in de Marlehole or off Shark Hole. You know Pa Grey, Lerksweet, Pupa, de Doughty boys, parky, Major? If so we gotta talk dude.

che 2017-03-30 21:00:27 

In reply to nick2020

Yow Nick a Bigdog camouflage pon mb all of a sudden lol
...a sgt jess sudden so camouflage as a fucking tit newbie lol

ISIS camouflage in Larvatille...

Kedal Grantt, also known as ISIS of Enterprise, was forced by a gunman to run for his life yesterday.
He was cornered in a resident’s yard and shot in the head. He used to always get lock up for selling cocaine in Chaguanas.
The murder toll in T&T stands at 130 for the year.Escalating crime, the inability of the police to handle the sheer volume of murders and a downturn in the economy combine to make the perfect storm of fear that has gripped the country

shock

ProWI 2017-03-31 00:42:05 

In reply to Outswinger

Used to grab a long thin coconut tree trunk with a group of your friends and swim out as far as the reef too?

Dived to the bottom of the sea without any of the modern fancy gear, with bells ringing in your ears?

Played cricket all day long on the beach?

Checked out all those girls who came from all over the island to the "best beach in the world" to have all-day picnics? The days before sea erosion, when the buses could come right down to the beach?

If so, then that was your beach home.

Tryangle 2017-03-31 09:14:58 

In reply to bravos

In T&T you cannot paint your vehicle army green or Coast Guard blue.I don;t know how the local red Ferraris make out because I also heard about fire engine red being in the same category..lol

Sounds like every car in T&T is either black or white smile

Wonder if there are similar bans on dressing up in 'cop uniforms'.

Outswinger 2017-03-31 17:45:43 

In reply to ProWI

Yeah. You are right on those. I even tried to dive conch wid Pa Grey and dem, but let me tell yuh. Conch ground water was too darn deep fuh me yuh hear? Couple of guys buss dem ear drum doing dat. Deep, deep, deep.

Dat reef was far too, like de one by Sam Lord's.

Outswinger 2017-03-31 17:46:20 

In reply to ProWI

So weh you from exactly?

powen001 2017-03-31 19:07:46 

In reply to bravos

yup..

It is a law from the Tom Adams era about stifling public protests and over throwing of governments.

based on ill founded fears of course and it still remains in force to this day in Bimshire...

I too think its backwards but no one has been willing to remove it due to how even more stupid the society has become..

guess its here to stay...

bravos 2017-03-31 19:26:09 

In reply to Tryangle

I'm sure impersonating a cop is a crime EVERYWHERE though! lol

bravos 2017-03-31 19:28:15 

In reply to powen001

Yeah but it's the same here in T&T,de blasted nice and polite customs officer lady take all my kids lil harmless cool looking pants,and they does last looooong and make good hand downs too evil

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-03-31 21:58:37 

Forget to wear pants...