3-2 Kyrgios

Chrissy 2017-03-31 22:16:49 

3-3 lol

Chrissy 2017-03-31 22:19:01 

5-4 Kyrgios

Chrissy 2017-03-31 22:19:40 

5-5 lol

Chrissy 2017-03-31 22:21:39 

Oh no - a really double fault saves the Fed AGAIN.

Hard loss kid

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-03-31 22:28:13 

In reply to Chrissy

Crowd interference. They called a ball out and distracted Nick.

Hard luck Nick

Chrissy 2017-03-31 22:30:44 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy
The crowd behaviour was awful - the future awaits the kid.

Oilah 2017-03-31 22:38:28 

Only Kyrgios can stop kyrgios...great match

Dukes 2017-04-01 05:49:44 

As Yogi Berra said DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

WIMBLEDON 2001 SAMPRAS VS FEDERER= MIAMI 2017 FEDERER VS KYRGIOS

Devin 2017-04-01 06:10:05 

In reply to Chrissy

Double fault saves Fed? Again? When was the first time? Even if Kyrgios won that point, he would've had match point, but on Federer's serve.

Maybe you should have a look at the match stats. Federer won 140 points, Kyrgios 130. Federer, who had to return bombs and missiles all night when Kyrgios served, did a far better job of returning serve than Kyrgios.

Fed produced seven break point opportunities, Kyrgios only managed two.

Federer won 25% of the points on Kyrgios' first serve, Kyrgios could only muster 15% on Federer's first serve.

Double faults at crucial stages of a match are a sign of succumbing to pressure. If you can't stand the heat, then get the fu#k out of the kitchen.

You all only like Kyrgios because he looks black. If he were a white boy, you'd be calling him all kind of names and attacking the fact that he comes from the land of convicts.

Devin 2017-04-01 06:25:15 

Now I'll discuss Kyrgios, briefly.

Right now, this is his game:

Monster first serve
Great second serve
Has the balls to consistently hit 120+ MPH second serves
Showboating/tweeners

His baseline game is unimpressive. Every so often he'll unleash a big forehand, but generally his baseline strokes lack any sting or pace. Reminds me of that blowhard Murray.

His return game is piss poor, as is evidenced by the fact that he plays many tiebreakers.

His defensive skills are improving, but he lacks the ability to consistently hit good/great shots when being asked to move laterally.

He appears to have a decent volley, and be relatively comfortable up at net, but he doesn't move forward nearly enough. He's too content staying behind the baseline and simply getting the ball back in play.

Federer controlled the baseline rallies all night long, and dictated play all night long. It's Kyrgios' serve that made it a tight affair. Federer always looked like the one who was going to get a break throughout the match.

Kyrgios' serve is enough to enable him to make a deep run at Wimbledon, maybe even more.

There's one thing you all are conveniently overlooking, or just choosing to casually mention; he's a nutjob. I've been convinced for a long time that he's either bipolar, or just a very angry young man.

His work ethic and attitude seems to have improved, and he hasn't tanked any matches in recent tournaments, but he's extremely temperamental and volatile. He's also going to have a very hard time winning over fans, despite his obvious flair and his penchant for hitting circus shots.

Tennis fans and the tennis fraternity don't generally like foul-mouthed bad boys who behave like hooligans on the court.

I'll never forget what this lunatic said to Wawrinka during their match in Montreal a few years ago.

If he doesn't get his head completely straight, he'll only be slightly better than a Monfils, and may only win a grand slam or two, perhaps none. Remember a guy by the name of Marat Safin?

Devin 2017-04-01 06:26:49 

In reply to Dukes

How so? Federer won that match. It was a grand slam. It was their first and only meeting. It was Wimbledon. It was Sampras' court. It was a best-of-five that went the distance.

Federer and Kyrgios played before in Madrid. The scoreline was the same, except that Kyrgios won.

Oilah 2017-04-01 09:50:29 

In reply to Devin

He has an excellent backhand...with a short almost stabbing like motion he sends the backhand cross court or down the line flat and with pace...the disguise is great. This man has the tools it is now all about the head.

Chrissy 2017-04-01 10:23:57 

In reply to Devin

Clearly you did not watch the Fed v Berdych on Thursday

Devin 2017-04-01 10:37:11 

In reply to Oilah

The short/curtailed swing on the backhand side is effective, but not necessarily a weapon. Definitely useful because you can't always pick where he's going with the shot.

I expect a guy that size to bully his opponents, especially Federer, who despite his greatness, does allow himself to be bullied at times.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 10:39:12 

In reply to Devin

welcome back outta hiding. you must be over Kohli's form.

You are being quite unfair in your assessment of Nick. you comparing the young tempermental guy with a mature Federer completely ignoring Federee was a brat too when he was young. Give Nick time he too might grow up to be a great champion. The crow support or lack of it is not about Nick. The crowd is pro Federer vs anybody.

Devin 2017-04-01 10:40:18 

In reply to Chrissy

When Berdych served a double fault on Federer's match point? A serve that sailed a million miles wide?

You don't seem to realize that tiebreakers are usually won by the player who isn't overwhelmed by the pressure.

Devin 2017-04-01 10:47:07 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

The crowd was a typically stupid American crowd. You get them all the time during the US Open. They cheer faults, double faults, and deliberately make noise during a point or a player's ball toss. In the late stages of that match, some jackass whistled just as Kyrgios was about to hit his serve.

These stupid chair umpires don't do anything and are scared to make bold decisions out there in the heat of the battle.

None of this changes the fact that Kyrgios is never a fan favourite, and is generally viewed as a complete tool. As long as he continues to curse, shout at his own players box, break racquets, and engage in arguments with the crowd, he will continue to be heckled and jeered, rather than cheered.

Djokovic still can't win over the crowds after all these years. Why? 1.) Because he used to annoy the shit out of everyone with his million bounces of the ball before every serve. 2.) Because he was known as a tanker

Devin 2017-04-01 10:51:30 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Yes, Federer was a brat. But he wasn't a nuisance, he wasn't a madman, he didn't claim that "he really doesn't like tennis and would rather play basketball," he wasn't forced by the ATP to see a psychologist, he wasn't hated by players and fans alike.

Tennis is mental, and Kyrgios is as well.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 10:55:16 

In reply to Devin

understood. but crowd support has no bearing on how great a player is

In addition the crowd is sweet on federer so no one else can break through....nothing to do with their level of play.

Sampras was no. 1 but Agassi was better liked

Devin 2017-04-01 11:04:03 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

It could have some effect, especially if you're crazy and like to pick fights with the crowd.

Djoker has done a great job of embracing the role of the villain, eventhough he so desperately wants to be loved by the crowd. So much so that he often pleads with them for their support.

Kyrgios and the 19-year old Zverev definitely look like future Grand Slam Champions.

Ah well, these days I just enjoy Federer as much as possible. His time is coming to an end, and when it does, I'll be very surprised if I have any interest in following the men's game.

Thank heavens for youtube and the millions of Federer videos.

Devin 2017-04-01 11:06:22 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I don't think it had much to do with Fed. The crowds don't behave that way when Fed plays, despite the match situation or opponent.

You have to acknowledge that Kyrgios will infuriate and rile up most tennis crowds. He is not liked, at all.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 11:06:55 

In reply to Devin

howcome u can admire Federer's tweeners and SABR but scoff at Nick's?

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 11:08:13 

In reply to Devin

But he has shown that he can control it as he been doing the last 2 tournaments

Devin 2017-04-01 11:16:54 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Do you understand that when Federer hits a tweener, it's often a last resort or the best shot possible? The few times he's hit a front-facing tweener, it's because he's been caught out of position.

Meanwhile, Kyrgios is going out of his way to hit tweeners when they are completely unnecessary. It's clearly showboating, Monfils does the same. It's clearly practiced and premeditated, whereas it's more instinctive for other guys on the tour(Federer).

I didn't scoff at his tweeners either.

Devin 2017-04-01 11:20:17 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Wow. Well congratulations to him for controlling himself for two whole tournaments.

A couple of months ago he was being referred to as a black eye for the sport, and various tennis personalities were suggesting that he should be banned/suspended.

You all are downplaying his psychological issues. This isn't just a case of someone with a bad temper who smashes racquets.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 11:20:34 

In reply to Devin

Well celebrate the man for his shot making. I agree it's showboating but if he wins the points who's to complain?

Devin 2017-04-01 11:22:41 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I'm not complaining. It's hard to pull those shots off during a match. I have no problem with it. Federer said he's good for the game, I agree to some extent. You need characters in sport, but there's a line as well.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 11:23:26 

In reply to Devin

You like YouTube. I am sure you'll find some badtempered Federer footage. He grew up....let's give Nick the chance to grow up too.

Bratty McEnroe is now a respected tennis celebrity! Give Nick a break.

Chrissy 2017-04-01 11:55:28 

In reply to Devin

Kyrgios demonstrated last night that he can handle a nasty crowd. That was a very close match.

Can't wait for five sets next month Go Rafa

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 11:56:47 

In reply to Chrissy

Rafa cannot beat Federer

Devin 2017-04-01 12:53:47 

In reply to Chrissy

The crowd got nasty during the final set tiebreak. Kyrgios cursed at the crowd(F bombs), served a double fault, smashed his racquet when he lost the match, then smashed the racquet some more just before he shook Federer's hand.

Try to take those blinders off. Like I said, if he were a white boy this thread wouldn't exist, and if it did, you'd be calling him all sorts of unsavory names.

Devin 2017-04-01 13:03:27 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

How you mean Rafa cannot beat Federer? You're aware of their head to head record?

I can't believe this powder puff cupcake draw Nadal was handed. Uncle Tony must be pulling some strings.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 13:12:47 

In reply to Devin

nevermind the head to head. Federer said at the interview "first time i've beaten Rafa 3 straight times in a row... might as well make it four"

Devin 2017-04-01 13:32:47 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Lol I know. Fu#king cheeky bastard.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-01 13:35:42 

In reply to Devin

if any other had said that, or laughed at Stan last final, he would be berated. But not the Fed

Devin 2017-04-01 15:01:06 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

He wasn't laughing the way people think, he did it to show Stan a good face, rather than a serious or sad face. He wanted to change Stan's mood, and he did.

Why would Fed laugh at him when Fed himself is a crybaby?