The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

K Powell

TheTrail 2017-04-11 10:43:23 

A fifty here today will cement your spot at the top with Kraigg.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 11:10:49 

In reply to TheTrail

Almost gave away his wicket there. Needs to cash in as that was the simplest of chances.

I do not think he has done enough to warrant a test pick.

Drapsey 2017-04-11 11:17:58 

In reply to TheTrail

Powell's the new Twinkle-toes now?

runout 2017-04-11 11:18:08 

In reply to voiceofreason

Almost?????

Where is he running to????
Probably he thinks that 23 is good enough for next game selection.

thomasthomas 2017-04-11 11:22:09 

He is included in the President's 11 match to be played.

cricketmygame 2017-04-11 11:25:21 

powell cant bat

this banna is not an international cricketer

when things tight he does just down the pitch and swing

Yadi 2017-04-11 11:35:44 

In reply to TheTrail

What about a 23? rolleyes

aliaskid13 2017-04-11 11:42:04 

In reply to cricketmygame

He can bat. But he always seem a little too overconfident to the spinners, especially early in his innings. Somebody just need to tell him to stay in his crease at least till he see what else the bowler have to offer.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 11:45:24 

In reply to thomasthomas

He will have to do better than this as i have seen him get out regularly like this.

aliaskid13 2017-04-11 11:52:35 

He will have to do better than this as i have seen him get out regularly like this.

And that right there is my issue. Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results

powen001 2017-04-11 14:11:44 

In reply to Drapsey

Powell's the new Twinkle-toes now?

pretty much.

But I hope you are wrong.

seaegg99 2017-04-11 14:25:24 

In reply to powen001

He like Blackwood hits the ball in the air too much.

powen001 2017-04-11 14:27:46 

In reply to seaegg99

yup and you have to wonder...WHO is coaching them??

cricketmygame 2017-04-11 14:36:48 

In reply to aliaskid13

He can bat. But he always seem a little too overconfident to the spinners, especially early in his innings. Somebody just need to tell him to stay in his crease at least till he see what else the bowler have to offer.

playing stokes don't make you a batsman
it's the ability to build a long innings

powell from what I've seen recently need to work more on his game

powen001 2017-04-11 14:39:57 

In reply to cricketmygame

its about Maturity and learning to respect the bowlers...

Plays as though he has over 5000 runs in ODIs and is world ranked in the top ten batsmen.

and he is not alone in this mentality

granite 2017-04-11 15:30:31 

In reply to powen001
I always wonder about the coaching as you mentioned.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 16:26:21 

In reply to granite
Powell wants to get on top of the bowling so he uses his feet. It is about picking the right delivery to use his feet to and also not showing your intentions too early. Check some Brian Lara videos or get some lessons from the master himself.

TheTrail 2017-04-11 16:40:00 

In reply to seaegg99

In reply to powen001

He like Blackwood hits the ball in the air too much.

Also, Lewis and Mohammed.

Powell is the best opener for the test series to partner Kraig.

My test top order batting:

1. Kraigg

2. Powell

3. Hope

4. Blackwood

powen001 2017-04-11 17:00:04 

In reply to TheTrail

thats fair...but my real concern is how unpredictable the others are...its why I support Kraigg...he is reliable.

All of them are talented no doubt but I really wonder if they are matching the batting coaches instructions and as VOR says picking the right balls to dominate?

It doesnt look that way...Its like all of them are stuck in one gear OR they have a running competition among them to show boat and out score each other with flashy shots.

It does not give me any confidence at all...

seaegg99 2017-04-11 17:01:00 

In reply to TheTrail

I like Mohammed. He adjusted his game for the shorter versions. He has been consistent for a number of years now. Blackwood is very talented but he too goes in the air too much.

powen001 2017-04-11 17:03:02 

In reply to seaegg99

Best of the bad lot...and yes actually applied himself in that ONE match..

I actually understood why Imusic did nt have much faith in him...

too many of our players have that M.O- Talent for days but fail to be consistent and convert good starts or at least score runs when needed

TheTrail 2017-04-11 18:20:33 

In reply to seaegg99 and Powen001

I am not saying these guys are not good batsmen, but the way they are going about batting is not the correct way.

Lewis played ten ODI and five of his outs are caught on deep long on and mid wicket.

Some here do not see it as a problem but Pak saw it that way and they worked on him.

It is true as you all said: Blackwood is the best of the lot.

An old timer once told me that this guy called Camacho played 22 innings and was caught fifteen times. That was a lot.I looked it up. He also told me that he was a very good batsman but that was his weakness, the hook shot.

Judgement 2017-04-11 18:25:55 

In reply to powen001

All of them are talented no doubt but I really wonder if they are matching the batting coaches instructions and as VOR says picking the right balls to dominate?

WI batting coach, Toby Radford, has been a mentor of Powell's for a long time and i know for a fact Powell is one of his "favourites" for talent and commitment. Powell will do big things once he settles down and exercises shot selection, he is a special talent that is why they pick him over and over. Players mature, for those that follow these players careers, if you recall Powell at 16 was a hard hitting T20 type and his game has evolved since.

Same with Evin, he is a big talent but he will hopefully not continue to hit at anything and everything without thinking, as his career progresses.

Judgement 2017-04-11 18:28:30 

In reply to TheTrail

I totally agree with you, they will have him open or at #3

powen001 2017-04-11 18:48:21 

In reply to Judgement & Trail

We are all in agreement...and even with the extra info....its simply proves my suspicions...

Talent was never an issue for us.

B Lara said eons ago.. that the WI have more talented players ratio wise than all the rest of the cricket world..but its our infrastructure and systems that needed urgent attention..and this was like since 2004....

Why are we such slow learners or worse...turning deaf ears to good advice...is it because Lara said so?

We should have won this match...and a few others...almost does not count in the stats books.

Judgement 2017-04-11 18:53:45 

In reply to powen001

B Lara said eons ago.. that the WI have more talented players ratio wise than all the rest of the cricket world..but its our infrastructure and systems that needed urgent attention

Excellent observation and so true.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 18:59:55 

In reply to TheTrail

1. Kraigg

2. Powell

3. Hope

4. Blackwood

You all setting Powell up to fail as he has done nothing to warrant a spot in the test team. Now if he scores heavily in the Pres XI match then you can say give him a shot but as it is now he has done nothing to warrant selection. Neither has Blackwood. Ambris should be ahead of Blackwood and Smith ahead of Powell.

Judgement 2017-04-11 19:04:46 

No one is setting him upto fail, why would anyone want that for our team? He will be in the Test team just like Dowrich will be. Devon is never playing international cricket again (he is too old to be brought back for just one or two series and he consistently fails against Pakistan, in particular) and Ambris is not even up for consideration.

powen001 2017-04-11 19:29:14 

In reply to Judgement

returning the compliment... good observation and co signed.

VOR is not shy about showing his insecurity masked under the flag of insulation...notice I said Insulation lolololol big grin

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 19:39:54 

In reply to Judgement

You will be setting him up to fail after 2 years out of the international test arena and no FC centuries to show for it since his return. Oh btw he averages 28.79 this regional series and you want him to open vs Riaz and Amir? You are a class act.

Let him get some more FC play under his belt but he is not ready for the TEST arena. Continue to rush him and make him feel he is special. STEWWPS!

BTW Devon Smith is only 35 so it says a lot that he is still outscoring all contenders for the opening position and if they were smart(WICB selectors are not) they would have selected him as a stop gap and spare the younger players. As soon as Kieran fails...Drop him...Allyuh real cunnu oui...No wonder we are where we are. # 9 and dropping.

Oh Ridley was too old too. Katich was too old.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 19:40:18 

In reply to powen001

Man STFU and go sit on a barbed wired fence.

powen001 2017-04-11 19:44:11 

you aint tired ?

should be by now..

grow up man.

who the heck wants any of these boys to fail?

...well maybe you and your badminded pea brain...but you are wrong on this...

go in the corner and relax yuh puffed up self.

Judgement 2017-04-11 19:46:15 

In reply to powen001

I didn't notice AT ALL lol lol lol lol lol

Judgement 2017-04-11 19:47:13 

If you think selectors are going to select a soon to be 36 year old to REBUILD a young team you are more of a comedian than i originally thought.

Btw, I am telling you a fact. If you can't handle the fact Powell will be in the Test team, do not bother responding, that is your own issue to deal with.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:06:59 

In reply to Judgement

If you think selectors are going to select a soon to be 36 year old to REBUILD a young team you are more of a comedian than i originally thought.

You need experience with youth rolleyes rolleyes When we fail to learn from our past mistakes we are doomed to fail time and time again.

Fact it may well be but that does not mean that you are not setting him up to fail. You do understand the difference? Please think before you post jackassery.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:08:40 

In reply to powen001

Kerry you Cunu munu Bajan skunt!

You are a big joke. Run around bawling the team is listless then in the same breath calling for a player who has not EARNED his spot.

Insular and I am calling for Powell to not be picked? Insular as I wanna be! Thank you. I am unapologetic of who I am... I don't sit pon a fence and wonder which side to pick. Jump Poopen...Jump...
smile

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-11 20:12:54 

What international experience Devon has over Powell? Lol. 35 years? I'll bet Powell's record is better

powen001 2017-04-11 20:17:51 

there were literally no facts in that post...

So I will just let the cameras fade to black on you....

smh

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:17:53 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzybrain

The issue here is a stop gap option until Powell who has been away for 2 years and who is clearly not ready as his 28.79 ave this season suggests. Devon Smith has outperformed him this season and if we are going to select players on merit then Devon should be selected.

You know what it does not make a difference what I say/think as according to Judgement the team done select. If Kieran fails, Judgement will disappear like he always does.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:19:13 

In reply to powen001
Fact: You are a fence sitter.
Evidence: Check the fence print pon your derriere.

I rest my case.

smile

Judgement 2017-04-11 20:21:33 

Like i said, it is your issue to deal with and luckily for you, the selectors decide the Test team.

Speaking of jackassery, I think the jackass here would be the one calling for a soon to be 36 year old to be added to a young team that is actively rebuilding and expects an international team to be chopped and changed at every series - that is not going to happen. The same jackass also calling numerous times for an overweight, impending failure in Rahkeem Cornwall to be elevated to an international embarrassment. If you are talking about earning spots, Jason Holder and most of the senior team do not warrant spots so quit singling people out and chatting utter trash behind your computer.

Judgement 2017-04-11 20:22:31 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Thank you Fuzzy smh.

Judgement 2017-04-11 20:24:13 

If you have the time to be watching my posts, i am sure you will quite easily ascertain that i am on here defending the youth time and again because i see what goes on behind the scenes. Instead of banging on that Powell has been away from cricket 2 years you should consider who in the team IS doing any better after having been in this setup the past two years. No one. Nada. Zero. So what's your issue with Powell?

As i said, keep talking trash behind your computer, yawn.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:39:50 

In reply to Judgement

The same jackass also calling numerous times for an overweight, impending failure in Rahkeem Cornwall to be elevated to an international embarrassment.

Again proving that you are not only a jackass but a dishonest one too. When have I called for Conrwall to be elevated to international cricket? Please post...I wait with bated breath.

i am sure you will quite easily ascertain that i am on here defending the youth time and again because i see what goes on behind the scenes.

Yes and you talk too facting much about the personal team chemistry. You need to check yourself.

I think the jackass here would be the one calling for a soon to be 36 year old to be added to a young team that is actively rebuilding an

You don't rebuild with youth alone. Oh yeah Jackass.

expects an international team to be chopped and changed at every series - that is not going to happen

You are the one wanting me to single out Jason Holder. Chop and change? How is Kieran Powell chop and change when he has not been in the TEST team for two years? Lol.

Judgement 2017-04-11 20:43:05 

Gosh just reading the foolishness in that post and the sheer lack of understanding, gives me a headache once i get past the amusement. Keep wishing though because that is all you can do. Bad minded old fool lol lol

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 20:46:26 

In reply to Judgement

Good response when you are simply exposed for the fool you are. Run along. My conquest is done. The smiley faces are indication of your embarrassment.

Keep chatting about personal team issues like the true Macumere man you are.

Judgement 2017-04-11 20:57:53 

Exposed? Personal issues? Personal team chemistry? What are you smoking this time? Because Jason Holder's "leadership" hasn't just cost us automatic World Cup qualification and forced us down to number irrelevant in the rankings right?

You speak out of your ass so much that you fail at basic comprehension. The team is going to be chopped and changed not because of Powell (read properly if you possess the mental capacity to do anything but whinge) it would be chopped and changed because a 36 YEAR OLD OPENING BATSMAN IS NOT THE ANSWER TO OUR LONG TERM SOLUTIONS or they could bring in a Samuels or Gayle for any of our formats also.

And speaking of dishonest, apparently you are friends with Richard Berridge's (non existent) brother right? Lol. I wonder what your next idiotic post will be when the team is picked. We all await with much anticipation. NOT.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 21:29:31 

In reply to Judgement

You speak out of your ass so much that you fail at basic comprehension. The team is going to be chopped and changed not because of Powell (read properly if you possess the mental capacity to do anything but whinge) it would be chopped and changed because a 36 YEAR OLD OPENING BATSMAN IS NOT THE ANSWER TO OUR LONG TERM SOLUTIONS or they could bring in a Samuels or Gayle for any of our formats also

Shifting goalposts. I did say stop gap option until the long termers are ready? Boy your head hard.

. And speaking of dishonest, apparently you are friends with Richard Berridge's (non existent) brother right? Lol.

You are a big dumbo. I made a mistake as apparently it his cousin... So facting what?

It was not disingenuous as you saying I want Cornwall to play international cricket when I clearly said no such thing. You called him lazy I guess you got that from your inside source. Macumere Man.

Baje 2017-04-11 21:31:27 

Didnt you say a little while ago that Devon had lost it, that was in our local super 50s. You think he regained it? We have very few choices at opener. If not Powell then who? Lewis?
Powell and Hope have similar problems, they just think they can stroll to the crease and dominate international bowling.
I rather fail with a talented overconfident Kieran/Lewis than with a stop gap measure. I think Law will agree with me.

Judgement 2017-04-11 21:34:06 

What do you call a captain that doesn't always show up at practise? Lazy. What do you call a player who's on a diet but eats buckets of KFC? Undisciplined.

And you implied Richard had a brother that you know well, not knowing that some of us actually know Richard's family well, not pretend to.

Judgement 2017-04-11 21:35:26 

In reply to Baje

He contradicts himself all the time Baje. And his way of diffusing attention from himself is to hurl insults and hope we forget the nonsense he speaks.

WerlBoss 2017-04-11 21:35:35 

VOR I think by now you should have guessed that Judgement is Powell's people. Judgement only surfaces to defend Powell and offer his knowledge of Powell and the personal chemistry within the camp. His opinion is obviously biased. Powell this and Powell that. Powell might be on the team but he doesn't deserve to be there and he'll fail as he usually does because he's inconsistent. If he can't understand that well that's just too bad.

Judgement 2017-04-11 21:39:58 

In reply to WerlBoss

And i think you are one who goes out of your way to discredit Powell. Is that a tactic? Didn't you say he was having women troubles in one of your earlier posts? How would you know that? Google? Why would you even print that on a cricket forum? I actually know most of the players and administrators and when i see rubbish printed, i respond. You don't like that do you? Too bad big grin big grin

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 21:47:49 

In reply to Baje

I also came back and said that he is having a good comeback 2nd round of the season. This is why we have a 2 round season. I prefer a stop gap measure because Powell averaged 5.33 vs England and 31.33 vs Pakistan, 28.79 this FC season. He is not ready. I am trying to protect the youth because I am his fan as well.

We have nothing to lose by playing Devon.

voiceofreason 2017-04-11 21:49:22 

In reply to WerlBoss

Based on his FC performance he does not deserve to be on the Test team and again I am a big fan but also realistic enough to understand that to protect his career it would be best if he gets some more runs at the FC level.

Add to that he has averaged 18.50 in 6 ODI innings since his return.

Play him. He ready.
rolleyes

WerlBoss 2017-04-11 23:25:26 

In reply to Judgement
His woman troubles is what took him away from cricket in the first place. And no Google didnt tell me that. When he solves those problems then he can get back to playing real cricket.

Furthermore I don't go out my way to discredit Powell I just don't see what the hype is over his very average scores. He has yet to impress me. But I see you are bowled over pun intended.

Judgement 2017-04-12 00:31:03 

In reply to WerlBoss

His woman troubles is what took him away from cricket in the first place. And no Google didnt tell me that. When he solves those problems then he can get back to playing real cricket.

It would be you that is bowled over by him to be discussing his personal life on here? What sort of cricket critic does that? How do you know that is what took him from cricket? I know for sure you don't know the reason he left because (unlike you) i know all these youths for years and that was not the reason he left same as i know there is more to the Darren Bravo saga than the public knows. You are obviously hearing and repeating things from somewhere or someone and that is suspicious to me because that indicates it is YOU that is in the youth's business like some woman and going out of your way to discredit him. Just remember spreading rumours is why Geoff Lawson is now paying Marlon Samuels substantial damages so don't print things if you are not prepared to take the consequences.

Lol oh and i think even President Cameron and the selectors are bowled over (pun very much intended) so yes he does have real fans in us that recognise his talent and frankly, who cares if he impresses you or not?

WerlBoss 2017-04-12 07:46:41 

In reply to Judgement

did I say I was not a woman? All this back and forth over one player. One average player. You keep singing his praises and trying to tell us how good he is with the coach or the selectors or president Cameron yada yada. It's either your related to the man or sleeping with the man. Go back and read your posts. Everybody is awful except your precious Powell. But the stats say otherwise. Everybody agrees that the man can play. VOR is his biggest supporter. But if the man not ready he not ready. If he has woman issues he has woman issues. Personal issues do affect a players performance. Don't act like Powell is immune. Or maybe he is cos you sing his praises like he's a god or something.

But you're annoying and it boring every minute hearing you comment and ridicule everybody on here. Looking down on West Indian people and snubbing your nose at everybody on here. If it's so bad why are you still here? Go run noses with your own kind. Whatever we talk about here you make sure people know how close you are with the players. It's getting old chap. And look at that! You just couldn't finish your silly rant without letting us know just how great Powell is (for the billionth time) rolleyes rolleyes

TheTrail 2017-04-17 21:04:57 

Kieran Powell will cement his place at the top with Kraigg.

Tek that VOR. lol

tc1 2017-04-17 21:09:43 

In reply to WerlBoss

u like u ran the Judgement

voiceofreason 2017-04-17 21:25:17 

In reply to TheTrail

Look Bro. I based my judgement( pun intended) on his worrisome form in R4D. 28.79 average is indeed worrisome but the selectors had faith in him and picked him to play the Pres XI and he delivered. I hope Pakistan not setting him up but he deserves the shot based on his performance for the Pres XI. Again, I was looking out for his best interest.

cool

TheTrail 2017-04-17 21:38:11 

In reply to powen001

Man STFU and go sit on a barbed wired fence.

That is cruel - you need a good spanking by Courtesy.

Disrespecting your elders!

BTW, Powell is the best opener to open with Kraigg,IMHO.