The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

My Parrot dilemma

birdseye 2017-04-16 18:26:24 

It’s a beautiful day in New York today, so ---I walked out on my deck this afternoon to enjoy little reading and ------ as I stepped out and close the screen door, a beautiful parrot came and sat down on the deck rail – he then jump down on my leg and start chewing on my pants – he actually put two holes in my pants in about 20 seconds-------I notice the bird has a leg band label ‘DA3’ ---- I call the ASPCA (animal shelter) they tell me I would have to take the bird to them – they are located about 25 miles away ---that’s a bit much ----- I started back inside and the parrot followed – so -

I went out and bought a cage and some bird food ------but now I am having second thoughts – so I let the bird back out on the deck ------he/she is a 'Quaker Monk parrot' --- now it’s on the deck squawking …. It’s a beautiful bird ----- but I am not sure what to do ----- i gave him some bird food which he is eating well

Need some suggestions ----------

bravos 2017-04-16 18:54:35 

In reply to birdseye

He's clearly a domesticated foreign bird,if you can safely trap him and deliver him to the animal agency it may be in his best interest,or even keep him if your'e prepared to take care of him,not too hard a task. Unless there's an invasive population of his species out there his chances of survival out there are very slim.

Go for it!! cool

birdseye 2017-04-16 19:03:46 

In reply to bravos
i go to the screen door and he is all over it wanting to come in - but i had him in ane he just flew all aover the place hitting into the glass doors and mirrors - i did spend $153 to buy a large cage --- but right now he is out on the deck and not going anywhere - as soon as i open the door he rushes for it ---- he is such a beautiful bied - my wife saying he looks cold - its 80 degrees outside - warmer than inside - he is just out there chirping - i am torn

Chrissy 2017-04-16 19:15:33 

In reply to birdseye

Post his pic on Facebook - call an animal/bird shelter- do not cage the poor bird.

Listen to the names he call and add that to your social media message

birdseye 2017-04-16 19:41:41 

In reply to Chrissy

CC.Com is the only social network i am a part of - neve join facebook or any of the others - i did join twitter - made 3 posts - then got flooded with shoit - so ijust abandon

Chrissy 2017-04-16 21:10:04 

In reply to birdseye

Never joined either - where's the bird now?
Put notices at the Post Office and supermarket. Ask someone to post a pic for you on Facebook, etc.

bravos 2017-04-16 22:34:02 

In reply to birdseye

Just catch it..

Kay 2017-04-17 00:26:30 

In reply to birdseye

Once you feed him he will not go away. Just put him in the cage while you do all those other things trying to locate the owner or seek out a shelter because if it goes away it may not be so lucky

StumpCam 2017-04-17 08:09:56 

In reply to birdseye

I call the ASPCA (animal shelter) they tell me I would have to take the bird to them – they are located about 25 miles away

Maybe, a Pet Store is closer! I'm sure they would know what to do with it!

Headley 2017-04-17 10:33:58 

In reply to birdseye

Easy, 1800GOFEDEX. big grin

Shame on you as a birdman. big grin

JohnBull 2017-04-17 10:36:04 

In reply to birdseye

Any chinese restaurants close by ....?

birdseye 2017-04-17 12:14:19 

In reply to JohnBull

Any chinese restaurants close by ....?
interesting - one of my immidate next-door neighbour is a Jamaican chinese family - they took him - i dont hear him squaking anymore big grin

Halliwell 2017-04-17 12:20:39 

No cage, just a perch on the balcony

Feed him till he ( or she) is ready to go

Littlest Hobo etc etc...

Headley 2017-04-17 12:22:02 

In reply to birdseye

i dont hear him squaking anymore big grin

big grin big grin big grin

Runs 2017-04-17 12:22:16 

Give me him, but one question first does she/he screech loudly? razz

carl0002 2017-04-17 12:30:51 

Seriously?
With a handle such as birdseye you really think it hard to drive the 25 miles in your BMW M5 to drop the bird off ASPCA? Seriously birdman the answer staring you right in the face and u on here fronting like this is some big problem. Man this so messed up its not even funny.