The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Vishaul Singh century highlights second day

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-04-17 07:08:36 

FLORENCE HALL, Jamaica — Vishaul Singh’s beautifully crafted unbeaten 135 for the West Indies President’s XI will probably earn him a place in the senior regional side for the first Test against Pakistan at Sabina Park starting Friday.

But he and his teammates had more to celebrate by the close of yesterday’s second day of their three-day game against the tourists at the Trelawny Stadium here, taking four top-order wickets for 129 runs in 47 overs.

Left-arm medium pacer Raymon Reifer led the way with 2-17 in 12 overs, troubling the vaunted Pakistani batsmen with his controlled swing.

The impressive 25-year-old Pakistani opener Ahmed Shehzad, not out on 53, and the established 31-year-old middle-order batsman Asad Shafiq, on 23, will resume today, having so far shared a fifth-wicket stand of 45 runs.

Scores in a game disrupted by a 57-minute rain break on the second day: West Indies President’s XI 419 all out; Pakistan 129-4.

Full Story

Raggs 2017-04-17 07:57:33 

Is his bowling good enough to replace Chase?

DIEHARD 2017-04-17 09:02:54 

In reply to Raggs

Its good enough to replace Holder lol

sandisha 2017-04-18 09:14:17 

What has Shimron Hetmyer done to be in the test squad? Because he scored 97 in a practice game again Pakistan? I am not saying he might not be a player for the future but as of now he has not earned his selection. After 18 first class games he is yet to score a century, though he has 6 half centuries. Do we have one rule for those we like and another for those we just flat out don't like especially if they from the small islands? What do they say to Sunil Ambris, who scored a century on debut in 2014, later followed it up with another century and this year a double century? Didn't chief selector say that players must be consistent to be called? I guess he meant to say small islanders must be consistent but if you are from Barbados or Guyana that rule does not apply

sandisha 2017-04-18 09:30:48 

They rewarded Kieran Powell with a recall because of his two half centuries, and rewarded new comers Shimron Hetmyer for his 97, and finally called Vashaul Singh, who should have been there long time. But what about leg spin bowler Damion Jacobs, who had 4 /45 against Pakistan and has been consistently taking wickets ever since he made his debut in 2014? To me he is more of a match winner than Bishoo

Runs 2017-04-18 09:55:40 

Reifer is knocking loudly fellas must be scared lol

Dukes 2017-04-18 10:22:35 

In reply to sandisha

What has Shimron Hetmyer done to be in the test squad?

He is at age 20,shown the kind of star quality with an average of 35 and a strike rate of 77.Now I ask you to tell me about players with strike rates of over 70 and averages of over 30 in first class cricket, much less at that age.

After 18 first class games he is yet to score a century

FALSE. Please look it up. I suspect you know better since you know he played 18 first class matches.

Please stop this small island/big island/territory nonsense. It is not applicable here.

BTW check out the day Hetmyer was born and tell me what day the Greatest Batsman from Berbice and Guyana was born!!!!!

natty_forever 2017-04-18 10:26:14 

In reply to Dukes... and here I was thinking you no longer followed this game.

big grin

sandisha 2017-04-18 21:30:41 

In reply to Dukes
@ Dukes let me make it clear to you that I AM NOT against the selection of Hetmyer because he is just 20 and common sense tells me that the selectors DO NOT have confidence in the captaincy of Holder and Hetmyer, who won a world cup title for west Indies under 19 is the best one to start looking at. My problem is with inconsistency of selectors, as seen with both Sunil Ambris and Theophil from the Windwards. Theo two years ago got two centuries and over 600 runs at a time when we needed an opener. Instead Hope, who got a lot of runs batting # 3 and the other young star from Guyana who had never gotten a first class century got selected over Theo. Both he and Hope failed miserably in test. Ambres and Hetmyer started around the same time and Ambris has 3 centuries, including a double and he goes unnoticed while Hetmyer has already been included in the windies team. To tell me small island / big island does not exist is same as saying black/white is not a factor.

kingdom 2017-04-18 21:42:19 

In reply to sandisha

Link Hetmyer stats
He has 1 century

tc1 2017-04-18 21:48:30 

In reply to sandisha

BigIsland/ small Island is not a factor since Powell was able to walk in the team after 3 years without dominate the game and Joseph after u19 series.

Have you seen Hope bat, he has not delivered as yet, but he will.

openning 2017-04-18 21:54:36 

In reply to Dukes

From following cricket for over four decades, this youngster would have had to be dominating cricket at every level, to be selected after one season with this regional average.
ICB Professional Cricket League Regional 4 Day Tournament, 2016/17 / Records / Batting averages

anandgb 2017-04-18 22:41:44 

In reply to Dukes

BTW check out the day Hetmyer was born and tell me what day the Greatest Batsman from Berbice and Guyana was born!!!!!

And he was also born in the same city that I was born in. lol

Narper 2017-04-18 23:24:35 

In reply to anandgb

Cumberland, Berbice, big grin