The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Starting eleven for Friday's test match

solidrock 2017-04-18 08:59:53 

The eleven that will start on Friday in batting order will be...

1. K. Brathwaite
2. K. Powell
3. S. Hope
4. V. Singh (deserving debutant. I wish him great success)
5. J. Blackwood (it is a very bold move to stick with him after his continued failures in FC this season...being the only Jamaican in the squad and playing at Sabina helps him to be in the starting X1)
6. R. Chase (bold move too knowing that he has generally had a below standard FC season)
7. S. Downrich (hoping he will remember how to bat)
8. J. Holder
9. D. Bishoo (does not deserve to play over Cornwall or Jacobs who are better wicket taking bowlers at this time)
10. A. Joseph
11. S. Gabriel

Carrying water for the first test will be Hetmyer (excellent to give an open door to a classy youth) and Cummins (I do not see why the selectors stick with him. He is a hot and cold player who is mostly cold)

Players who have been wrongly left out of the squad (J. Mohammed, R. Cornwall and R. Reifer)

Slipfeeler 2017-04-18 09:08:20 

In reply to solidrock

I concur with you on your starting line up and rationality of selection.

Narper 2017-04-18 09:29:28 

In reply to solidrock

9. D. Bishoo (does not deserve to play over Cornwall or Jacobs who are better wicket taking bowlers at this time)

Bishoo took 8 wickets in the last test match WI played...which they WON....and in that series he took 8/49 in the 1st test for a series haul of 19 wickets in the 3 test series

Nuff said

Narper 2017-04-18 09:30:47 

In reply to Slipfeeler

I concur with you on your starting line up and rationality of selection.

ALL you see is Blackwood in the side and you didn't see anything else big grin

solidrock 2017-04-18 10:09:37 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Good.
big grin

bobby 2017-04-18 10:45:50 

In reply to solidrock
And who in this line up will take 20 wickets to win a game?

natty_forever 2017-04-18 10:57:39 

In reply to Narper... well Blacks inning today will say whether he should be in that starting eleven.

Seechy 2017-04-18 12:07:33 

In reply to natty_forever

Blackwood sucks! He should be nowhere near the West Indies Test team

solidrock 2017-04-18 12:07:35 

Blackwood was just out for 44. But, it was not well made runs and his dismissal has probably given the match to Barbados.
He will start in the test match on Friday, but is presently in no form with the bat to add real value to the run scoring effort by the WI

solidrock 2017-04-18 12:37:51 

But, playing Hetmyer instead of Blackwood will not solve the batting problem for this coming match. The X factor in favor of Hetmyer is his youthful and fearless enthusiasm which may go well. What is true is Pakistan bowlers will not feed him with balls that he likes to score from as they did in the President X1 match.

Blackwood is a better fielder than Hetmyer at present at any place on the field. Therefore, Blackwood plays in this match, but may not in Barbados.

My bigger problem/headache is Bishoo probably will not take the 6-8 wickets minimum from the 20 for us to win. He is not the best wicket taking spinner at present in the WI. It will be hard to take 20 wickets. Bishoo, please prove me wrong.
big grin

WICFan 2017-04-18 13:27:50 

K. Brathwaite
K. Powell
S. Hope
J. Blackwood
V. Singh
R. Chase
S. Dowrich
J. Holder
D. Bishoo
S. Gabriel
A. Joseph

Time for Blackwood to move up the order, he doesn't bat at 5 for Jamaica and he's an attacking player who should come in before Singh & Chase.

Kay 2017-04-18 13:46:31 

In reply to solidrock

But, playing Hetmyer instead of Blackwood will not solve the batting problem for this coming match. The X factor in favor of Hetmyer is his youthful and fearless enthusiasm which may go well. What is true is Pakistan bowlers will not feed him with balls that he likes to score from as they did in the President X1 match.

Really? The Pak bowlers really did that? Well they managed to fool the WI selectors bigly.... smile

azadtnt 2017-04-18 14:08:53 

In reply to solidrock

Agree with some Blackwood, Holder, Bishoo, Cummings, Chase?????
Mohammed, Reifer, Cornwall, Jacobs, Holder (as a batsman/bowler NOT bowler/batsman) Cariah.

natty_forever 2017-04-18 16:27:24 

In reply to WICFan... well as far as I am concerned he missing at bat this season. He should sit.

Seechy 2017-04-19 06:39:56 

Brathwaite
Powell
Hetmyer
Hope
Singh
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Joseph
Gabriel

solidrock 2017-04-20 10:14:13 

Whatever combination of players we use starting Friday, it is just hard for me to believe we have 4-5 bowlers to get 20 wickets in the match. That is frustrating as I opine. When we were on top in cricket there would always be 1-2 bowlers who could be told go get a few wickets and the job would get done no matter how much our opposing batsmen were in form.

Our bowlers of the past had a killer instinct. I always felt that no matter how in form our opposing batsmen were they knew that our bowlers were not there to keep them quiet. But, by hook or crook, opposing batsmen knew you either get hurt and run to the pavilion or it was just a period of time before they got outsmarted.

Which of our present bowlers come anywhere to having "bad intentions and mean it" to our opposing batsmen? redface

sunfish 2017-04-20 11:12:48 

Cummins should play ahead of Joseph because he is the senior player. And, I would slot in Blackwood at 3 for the same reason and the extra responsibility may cause him to be more measured in his shot selection.

NewsJunkie 2017-04-20 11:34:30 

In reply to solidrock

Your bowlers of the past had quality, and batsmen with less protective gear. And no bouncer restrictions. And weak over-rate rules. That's like 50 years ago. Catch up to modern times already. Takes more than "bad intentions" to get quality batsmen out now. Bowl well. And consistently. Not just a few random good balls. I have hope for young Alzarri. But bowlers need to hunt in packs, and the Windies pack lack teeth. Waxing nostalgic about bygone eras will get you nothing.

NewsJunkie 2017-04-20 11:36:19 

In reply to sunfish

What's this "senior player" nonsense? That crap only works in Pakistan. If Joseph can bowl better and more consistently, he should play. Young man looks like he's going to be quality in a season or two. Let him loose and let him learn.

TheTrail 2017-04-20 11:54:19 

In reply to solidrock

Blackwood is a better fielder than Hetmyer at present at any place on the field. Therefore, Blackwood plays in this match, but may not in Barbados.

Why not in Barbados?

tc1 2017-04-20 12:03:30 

In reply to TheTrail

Blackie stays if Hetemyer is in the team TOP 6 order is:
KB
KP
SH
SH
JB
RC

TheTrail 2017-04-20 12:38:25 

In reply to tc1

I am confident Blackwood and Powell will play in all three test.

How they handle Shadab is the million dollar question.

DIEHARD 2017-04-20 12:39:38 

In reply to sunfish

Agree re Blackwood..Not re Cummins.. He's innocuous

Kay 2017-04-20 12:48:07 

I don't know why Shai Hope is in everyone's team and there is doubt over Blackwood. Hope already shows he does not belong at the higher level with that 17 average (top score 41) while Blackwood at least average over 30 and shows more upside.

What should be debated is how long a run should Hope get if he continues to fail....

Outswinger 2017-04-20 13:03:01 

In reply to solidrock

I am sitting Cummins and Blackwood.

Cummins does not have a compelling case and does not look currently like is ready to bowl out a team.

Blackwood gets starts and then plays an IPL type shot to get back to de hut. He's averaging 31 after 22 tests. Averaging 22 in his last 10 tests. Did not convince in the R4Day. People would say his experience, but most o dat is experience in giving away your wicket. Let Hetty and Vis do dey ting. They have earned it with performances. Stop rewarding mediocrity.

With these youngsters, if they produce: Hetty, Vis, Shai and Roston - de Windies could develop a solid middle potentially.

De boling is what it is: Gabriel and Joseph to open, Holder first change; Bish and Roston to bowl leg and off spin respectively. It's fairly obvious dat Kraigg and Powell will open. I'd be shocked if this did not happen.

solidrock 2017-04-20 13:08:55 

In reply to TheTrail

Because their is a good chance that Blackwood not only fails to make runs, but also bats in an awful way in Jamaica. As such, he may convince that he should not play in the Barbados test.

Outswinger 2017-04-20 13:15:23 

In reply to solidrock

Solid,
Yuh right. uBt you know, what Windies need is someone to work with Bish on one issue and only one issue: developing his googly. Is Dhanraj working with him on dis?

If Bish could develop the Googly, the top-spinner would be a natural bi-product. His variety would improve significantly and he would be a top World spinner again. This has been neglected for too long.

googley 2017-04-20 14:27:15 

1. Kraigg Brathwaite
2. Powell
3. Shai Hope
4. Hetmyer
5. Singh
6. Dowrich
7. Chase
8. Holder
9. Bishoo
10.Joseph
11. Gabriel

Scar 2017-04-20 21:28:00 

In reply to googley

Doubt 2 debutants would play at once in a First Test.

solidrock 2017-04-21 07:38:55 

In reply to Scar

I also believe there will NOT be 2 debutants.

googley 2017-04-21 10:45:23 

Official team:

Brathwaite, Powell, Hetmyer, Hope, Singh, Dowrich (wk), Chase, Holder (capt), Bishoo, Joseph, Gabriel

Seechy 2017-04-21 12:01:59 

In reply to Scar

Well they did...