The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: WICB 'frustrated' by Bravo damages claim

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-04-21 07:12:14 

Bravo, who has not played for West Indies since he was sent home from Zimbabwe in November 2016 following his criticism of board president, Dave Cameron, is claiming lost earnings of around USD120,000 based upon what he could have made from ODIs against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, BPL and PSL contracts, and regional Caribbean competitions.

The claim has come as a surprise to officials at WICB who believed they were on the verge of a reconciliation with Bravo. They are also surprised at the suggestion he was prevented from playing in the BPL or PSL as no application for an NOC (no objection certificate) was made ahead of either tournament and, when Bravo did apply for such a certificate ahead of the IPL, it was granted immediately.

"It is true that Darren has initiated legal action against us," WICB chief executive Johnny Grave told ESPNcricinfo. "It has come as a surprise as I was under the impression we had agreed a way back for him. I'm very disappointed and yes, a bit frustrated."

Full Story

Walco 2017-04-21 07:28:19 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

shock shock shock

NewsJunkie 2017-04-21 08:05:00 

All the players should be thanking Darren for making a stand and setting a precedent on this. No longer can the WICB goons just toy with a player's career based on their whims and egos, without tangible consequences.

Don't give in Bravo. Make them pay - at least a token amount.

silver 2017-04-21 08:13:43 

In reply to NewsJunkie

When you go around suing people, other people will be reluctant to hire you. I would not pop the champagne bottle yet

kingie 2017-04-21 08:15:49 

In reply to silver

Lil Bravo has decided to burn all the bridges to become a Franchise T20 gun for hire.......

CricketLuva4 2017-04-21 08:21:20 

In reply to kingie

But he doesn't even get game.

NewsJunkie 2017-04-21 08:38:46 

In reply to silver

When an organization goes around denigrating its main asset - and then suspends them for rightly taking issue with it - they will find that it becomes very difficult to maintain a proper working relationship with those assets. The 'massa' attitude that the WICB has with its players is 110% wrong. And needs to called out and corrected.

As an Indian fan, I'm mystified how the caribbean fans find the behavior of their board defensible. Bravo is 100% right in taking a stand. Players are not serfs that board suits can insult them on twitter and expect them to salute and maintain decorum. In what world is it acceptable for a Board official to cut Bravo's salary and publicly insult him? Sure, Bravo lost his temper and went a bit too far. But why should he be harshly punished, while the initiator of the idiocy gets away scot-free?

If Dave Cameron was a man, he would publicly retract his comments and take ownership of his mistake. Not try to bury the issue and move on as if nothing happened. But Cameron is a 2-bit gangster in a suit - he thinks he's the star of the show - the great "CEO" who is setting up Caribbean cricket, and "He" can do no wrong. Bullshit. Where is the accountability?

All you crabs and lemmings are too quick to blame your players - and maybe a bit of blame is deserved - but the board is the villain for West Indies cricket - and the sooner the board is reformed, or at least purged, the better it is for you guys.

As a kid, I grew up fearing the West Indies Cricket team. As an adult, I still enjoy their flair and innate talent - the once in a blue moon it shows up on a cricket field anyway. But I'm just tired of waiting for this team to become competitive and be one of the top 4 teams in the world. There is something very glitchy with the matrix when Bangladesh is a better side than the West Indies.

positiveg 2017-04-21 08:59:32 

In reply to NewsJunkie

The thing is did bravo sue while they were offering him a way back?
A judge will have to decide this. Plus he'll have to prove that they cost him loss of revenues for those T20 leagues he mentioned, which most likely will mean having to state if they held back from granting him an NOC.
If he loses he could be out of cricket for a longer time, cause his ego might still not make him want to play for the team having lose against the admin of the team
If he wins doubt he'll get $120k, cause he really has to show that 1 even if he was selected for WI would he be in the playing XI, most likely, but still would he have gotten his asking price and played in the matches of the T20 leagues.
Still though can't blame him for the move he made, I just think it's funny especially seeing that from since Graves been hired that he said he and bravo was in discussion on a way back.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 09:08:39 

Dats it lil B the big Ediot could have easily said he made an error in reporting your retainers but oh nooooo typical stupidity of this Administration dem wrang and strong.

Sue dem rass

WICB gats a procedure to discipline players and a system to do so.They did not comply to such .Pybus is gorne now the rest must face legal action.

Go after the T&TCB also they prevented you from being selected.

cool cool cool

DIEHARD 2017-04-21 09:09:58 

Bravo has a case.

And is doing the right thing.

This was handled poorly by the WICB

Baje 2017-04-21 09:14:49 

In reply to positiveg
Well if they were making a way back for him, and he did not want a way back, then he had to hurry up and sue before the way could be found.
Anyway good luck to him

mikesiva 2017-04-21 09:16:21 

In reply to NewsJunkie

I don't find the behaviour of the wicb defensible. I think you will find a lot of Caribbean fans support bravo in his battle against the wicb. The problem is did bravo and the wicb follow the proper procedure.

A court of law will decide that.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 09:19:54 

"It is true that Darren has initiated legal action against us," WICB chief executive Johnny Grave told ESPNcricinfo. "It has come as a surprise as I was under the impression we had agreed a way back for him. I'm very disappointed and yes, a bit frustrated."

I was hoping this newbie Grave had a bit of grey matter.Lil B is suspended and he frustrated..say what ???

Who agreed to a way back for lil B?
If he is taking the CWI to court obviously he didnt.!!!!!

How long has lil B been suspended?
You mean it takes this long to solve this problem where the President made errors in his statement.

You mean Cameron hasn't got the guts to say oh Geeezee I made an error.

The T&TCB noted that he will not be selected since he is under suspension.

Who suspended him? Was it Pybus?

Is Pybus on the disciplinary committee?
If such occurred was lil B allowed to defend himself before such clowns?

Sue dem ras lil B, show Cameron you gats balls.

Dinas will be running the T&TCB soon, you will have support.

cool cool cool

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 09:37:13 

"I just want what is best for West Indies cricket," Grave said. "And having the best players available is part of that. Of course a player of Darren's experience would be an asset.

"I thought everything was agreed with his legal advisors. We didn't want this to play out publicly but yes, it is true, his attorney is asking for damages and West Indies supporters deserve an explanation as to why he is not in the squad in Jamaica.

West Indies supporters deserve an explanation as to why he is not in the squad in Jamaica

Hello Grave, some idiot at the WICB suspended lil B, dats why he not in the squad?
Ya gats dat !!!

Then get the big Ediot to shut his mouth or get facts before speaking .

positiveg 2017-04-21 09:42:26 

In reply to sgtdjones

Grave seems to be handling things in the most professional way, in front the camera behind the camera I hope it's the same.
It's a pity he has to deal with this so early in his tenure, but DC stubborn so, a so it goes.

NewsJunkie 2017-04-21 09:43:08 

In reply to sgtdjones

This is an unsubtle way of blaming Darren Bravo for his non-selection in the current Test series. The WICB keep proving that they will keep on throwing players under the bus by using any and all means at their disposal. No wonder the players don't trust the WICB. The board is supposed to protect the interests of the fans, the sport and the players. Not attack them and then blame them.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 09:51:58 

In reply to NewsJunkie

Have you ever seen where the WICB supports or protect them.

Ask Lara, Shiv, and Sars

WICB prefers to crucify its players.

Star 2017-04-21 09:57:26 

In reply to mikesiva
The WICB did not follow the proper procedure plain and simple.

The other problem for the WICB is that they cannot draw inference from a vague expression.

Tweeting "Big Idiot" is not sufficient cause for draconian action against the tweeter.

If Mr.Bravo had tweeted "Dave Cameron is a big idiot" or "the President of the WICB is a big idiot", then he would be on shaky ground.

The problem with the WICB is that the people sailing that ship react foolishly to trivial issues and seek legal advice after the damage is done.

nick2020 2017-04-21 10:04:44 

In reply to Star

Well then what? Sue and win $120K. Retire from West Indies cricket?

DIEHARD 2017-04-21 10:07:12 

In reply to nick2020

Will he be any worse off if he does.

Which of the players that have retired are?

DIEHARD 2017-04-21 10:07:13 

In reply to nick2020

Will he be any worse off if he does.

Which of the players that have retired are?

NewsJunkie 2017-04-21 10:07:24 

In reply to Star

Every chance of a Judge declaring that "big idiot" is an appropriate response to Cameron's idiocy in tweeting about Bravo's contract downgrade, as well as the hasty, illegal suspension that followed. WICB's lawyers know that Bravo has a very strong case - hence the conciliatory sounds. If the WICB had 5% of a brain, they would settle this quickly with Bravo - issue a public apology and a private settlement with the amount not being announced, and move on from this shameful episode.

But then that would go against the Big Ego and suits before sport ethos of the current pack of goons running the WICB.

NewsJunkie 2017-04-21 10:09:18 

In reply to nick2020

Sue them. Win damages. And if they keep this foolhardy attitude of not selecting him, sue them again. Bravo's eligibility and worthiness for selection in the test team is clear-cut.

Only way forward is for the WICB to make amends with Bravo - make a public apology, settle the suit. Its the right thing to do. $120k is peanuts, he should be suing for a lot more than that.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 10:12:24 

In reply to NewsJunkie

Your comments show you are using ur grey matter and common sense

Now WICB gats none of such attributes.

This is why lil B is in India and not jamaica.

Kay 2017-04-21 10:15:42 

Man hold alyuh collective horses. De man sue which is his prerogative, the matter is in the hands of a court of law now ... let's await the outcome.

In the interim I am wagering that he will get nothing. Any takers can contact me with the amount they are willing and can afford to part with.... $US only please smile

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 10:17:27 

In reply to Kay

OK ah gats $100.00 US to bet he wins

The problem will be a secret agreement Then what ???

Do WE go to arbitration? razz razz razz

Star 2017-04-21 10:25:40 

In reply to NewsJunkie

And if they keep this foolhardy attitude of not selecting him, sue them again.

Cannot sue for that as an employer is not obligated to keep a person employed.

The 120k indicates that they are looking at compensatory damages.

Nothing to stop them asking for punitive damages. Could be a consideration.

Domic 2017-04-21 10:33:56 

In reply to NewsJunkie

And as a supporter i say pay him and say goodbye. enough is enough

DIEHARD 2017-04-21 10:35:17 

In reply to Star

U think the court will have that view?

It can be proven that he was only not being considered for selection as a result of his remarks.

Based on his contract with WICB.. Both verbal and written and implied and his past performances.

Bravo could and should have been expected to be selected.

WICB losing easy easy

Star 2017-04-21 12:41:58 

In reply to DIEHARD

U think the court will have that view?

It is the law.

Your employer for instance can come to you today and fire you even if you are the best worker. If you are under contract, they will pay out the remainder of the contract.

If you are salaried, they will pay you severance pay.

There is no obligation for your employer to keep you employed no matter how good a worker you are.

Narper 2017-04-21 13:31:30 

In reply to NewsJunkie

All the players should be thanking Darren for making a stand and setting a precedent on this

No precedence being set here.

Sarwan, Deonarine and Simmons all collected hefty compensation in the past for similar WICB fcukeries

earthkain 2017-04-21 13:49:07 

[b]In reply to Star[/

I'm not sure which country's law you are quoting.

There have been instances in Trinidad where the Industrial Court has ordered reinstatement of employees who have been found to have been wrongly terminated.

The link below is one instance I found, judgement on the last page.

Link Text

Wally-1 2017-04-21 15:01:28 

Bravo was frigging wrong,period..The prez was frigging wrong, period,so where is the compromise? WICB is an admin. with poor people skills.

Khaga 2017-04-21 15:04:03 

What is WICB? How is it related to CWI?

johnjo 2017-04-21 15:20:06 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Well done Bravo.

So just cause theyare offering him a way back means he shouldn't sue? It's a matter of principle.

Sue them rass yes. Easiest case to win

DIEHARD 2017-04-21 15:46:49 

In reply to Star

There is such a thing as wrongful termination.

And this is not the classic employer employee relationship at work here.

People love to act like these guys are bank tellers.

They're professional sportsmen

POINT 2017-04-21 16:45:15 

The Freaking Point is this People .

WAS BRAVO GIVEN A HEARING BY

THE WORST INTERNATIONAL

CRICKET BOARD IN THE

COMMONWEALTH ; AKA THE

WICBC BEFORE THE EMPERORS

DECIDED TO FIRE HIM ??????????

Intrestingly , many seem oblivious
of this freaking Fact .

BRAVO'S OUTBURST WAS

PROMPTED BY CAMERON

STATING A LIE REGARDING WHAT

LEVEL CONTRACT BRAVO HAD .

Now it is quite possible that Cameron deliberately decided to
do this , in a Machiavellian Tactic
to goad Bravo into making an intemperate remark , in order to
anger Bravo .

In this Forum I have stated , that
the ONUS was on Cameron to know
what level Contract Bravo had . before making his Public Statement
regarding Bravo's Contract .

I do not believe that Cameron is
a Stupid man , hence my belief that
he deliberately decided to goad
Bravo into responding in anger .

Quite frankly the Emperors in the
Worst International Cricket Board
in the Commonwealth , aka the WICBC for years have been the Masters of Deception .

They have commissioned Reports
and then summarily dismissed them . It is very important for People to understand this freaking
fact :

THE WICBC HAS NEVER EVER

CHANGED ITS STRUCTURE SINCE

ITS FORMATION IN THE 20TH .

CENTURY .BTW , WE ARE NOW

LIVING IN THE 21ST. CENTURY .

It has never ever been Transparent ;
Accountable ; or adherred to the
Principles of Good Governance in
its capacity of being the Stewards
of West Indies Cricket .

Star 2017-04-21 17:00:56 

In reply to earthkain

I'm not sure which country's law you are quoting.

Let's deal with Trinidad law.

Union workers and Government workers have statutory protection against unjust dismissal.

Under Trinidad law, employers are allowed to terminate without cause.

Star 2017-04-21 17:11:04 

In reply to DIEHARD

There is such a thing as wrongful termination

Of course there is.

Wrongful dismissal applies if an employer violates an employees's human rights or violated certain parts of the Employment Standards Act.

Employment Law whether in the Cayman Islands or Trinidad allows employers to terminate employment without just cause.

Darren Bravo being a professional athlete is immaterial to the issue. His contract will be paid out.

The courts cannot order the WICB's selectors to include him in the team.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 17:22:48 

In reply to Star

But if it is shown that he was denied the right to employment by WICB rules

A court can give compensation. Isn't that what lil B wants.

Where did he ask for them to put him back on the team.

POINT 2017-04-21 17:36:56 

In reply to Star

Let me remind YOU that there is a
little semingly unimportant thing
called :

DUE PROCESS

Darren Bravo in my opinion was not
accorded Due Process , in this matter . Bravo should have had
an opportunity to explain what prompted his outburst against
Emperor Cameron .

Now my perspective is that it is
totally asinine to simply hone in
on Bravo calling Cameron a " Big Idiot " .

As I have repeatedly stated in this
Forum , Cameron had an obligation
to be factual when he made the statement regardig the Level of Contract Bravo had .

I seriously doubt that ANYONE can
dispute this . My take is that Cameron deliberately decided to
goad Bravo .

It was after all this Lie that Cameron
stated that prompted Bravo to call
Cameron a Big Idiot . I , like Bravo
concluded that Cameron had an obligation to be factual in his Statement .

The fact is that Cameron stated a Big Fat Lie regarding the level of
Contract Bravo had . My disgust
is that many are solely focusing on
what Bravo Tweeted , completely
ignoring the fact that Bravo remarks were prompted by the Lie that Cameron stated .

It is very likely that had Cameron
stated correctly the level contract
Bravo had ,this Bruhaha would not
have occurred .

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 17:46:23 

In reply to POINT

Point

If lil B didn't violate rules

CWI gats a disciplinary Committee to handle such.

Did Pybus suspend him or Cameron, are they on such committee?

Who came up with he must apologize or be suspended.

Did CWI do due diligence and give lil B an opportunity to defend himself?

Is there a clause that states a player will not be given the opportunity to defend himself ?

POINT 2017-04-21 20:04:46 

In reply to sgtdjones

My perspective remains the same
I do not believe that Darren Bravo
was accorded DUE PROCESS .

In essence Darren Bravo should have been called before the Disciplinary Committee , to explain
what prompted him to call Cameron
a Big Idiot .

Now if that had happened , in his defense , Bravo could have claimed
that Cameron publicly lied ; regarding the level of contract that
Bravo had .

I do not believe that Bravo is demented ; so calling Cameron a
Big Idiot was Bravo simply venting
his frustration regarding the manner in which he was being treated .

Cameron in my opinion , was & is
fully aware of this fact ; and realized
that in a Hearing , Bravo could rightly claim that his outburst was
prompted by the Lie regarding the
level contract that Cameron stated
he had .

I believe that it was then decided to
skip giving Bravo a hearing , and
just ban him outright . My disgust
is that many people in the Region
have bluntly refused to focus on the fact that Cameron also bears some
responsibility in this matter, because whether wittingly or unwittingly Cameron had a responsibility to factually ascertain
what level Contract had before stating what He said .

This matter could have been easily
solved by having both Cameron &
Bravo issue Apologise to each other
However I do not believe that any
of the Emperors in the Worst International Cricket Board in the
Commonwealth , aka the WICBC ,
would ever apologise to a Player .

rubberd 2017-04-21 20:36:37 

In reply to sgtdjones

Big idiot.

Phrase denoting someone who engages in an activity which they regret majorly later on, and affects either themselves or others in a negative way.
How by its definition you can suspend a person for saying big idiot.

This is all about hurt feeling and you cant suspend a person for that.

It would help if all of you google the phrase and usage. It describes exactly what Cameron and WICB did, react now they regret.

rubberd 2017-04-21 20:40:59 

I said from the outset that DB will sue for loss of earnings and win.

sgtdjones 2017-04-21 20:41:01 

In reply to POINT

This matter could have been easily
solved by having both Cameron &
Bravo issue Apologise to each other

I agree and it could have been done privately months ago.
Do you recall any player being brought before this disciplinary committee?

I am clueless about who is on such a committee?

rubberd 2017-04-21 20:48:10 

In reply to Star

Look up unfair dismissal. Employee have rights. Commerce could not exist if employers could terminate employment without cause, that is why financial institutions accepts letters from your employer as a form of security for loans.

openning 2017-04-21 20:59:00 

Are these guys not private contractors?
If they are, why are fans comparing them to regular employees?
Can a player sue the board for non selection?

Star 2017-04-21 21:00:01 

In reply to sgtdjones

A court can give compensation. Isn't that what lil B wants.

It appears as if you are reading but not understanding anything. I am on Darren Bravo's side re this issue.

The report states he is asking for 120k to which "NewsJunkie" inferred was peanuts.

I pointed out that 120k indicated they were most likely seeking "compensatory damages" due to the small amount but that "punitive damages" could also be considered.

Where did he ask for them to put him back on the team.

Once again you are reading and not understanding. I never said he asked to be put back on the team.

I was responding to Eearthkain's post re a case in Trinidad where the Industrial Court ordered the employees be re-instated.

Not a good reference for Bravo's situation because the two are dissamilar and as I pointed out to Earthkain in my post, the Courts cannot order the WICB or its selectors to include Mr.Bravo in the team.

Try to read and understand what is written.

Star 2017-04-21 21:10:13 

In reply to POINT

Let me remind YOU that there is a
little semingly unimportant thing
called :

DUE PROCESS

What are you going on about? Did you not read my post where I stated the following? Sometimes I wonder if you guys just post without understanding what is being conveyed.

The WICB did not follow the proper procedure plain and simple.
The other problem for the WICB is that they cannot draw inference from a vague expression.
Tweeting "Big Idiot" is not sufficient cause for draconian action against the tweeter.

rubberd 2017-04-21 21:23:50 

In reply to Star

Based on the evidence the court can decide that the treatment is unfair or unreasonable and prescribe a remedy.

The board is required to follow its own rules and if a player performs there is a reasonable expectation that he will be selected ahead of someone who performs at a lower level providing other considerations like fitness etc are met.

POINT 2017-04-21 21:53:37 

In reply to sgtdjones

I hear you ; I am assuming that
the WICBC does have a Disciplinary Committee . I believe that most
Organizations have Disciplinary
Committees .

In the Region , most if not all of the
persons who call themselves Sports Journalists are afraid of the
Emperors in the Worst International Cricket Board in the Commonweath
; so they rarely if ever criticize the
Emperors .

The Regional Governments also
are afraid of the Emperors in the
WICBC . I mistakenly believed that
the fact that the BCCI in India was
verbally slapped around by the India Supreme Court , regarding the
BCCI's reluctance to implement the
changes recommended by the
Lodha Committee ; would have
given the Regional Governments
courage to take the WICBC to court
regarding the latter's Stewardship
of cricket in the Region .

THERE EXISTS A NUMBER OF

REASONS WHY THE WICBC MUST

BE REMOVED FROM THE

STEWARDSHIP OF CRICKET IN THE

REGION .

My take is that when an entity commissions several Reports ; and then fails to implement the salient
features of those Reports , that is
tantamount to deliberately perpetating a Hoax on the people
of the Region .

Let me again state the fact that since its inception the 20th.Century the WICBC has refused to change its archaic Structure , despite the fact that WE are now in the 21st. Century .

Currently the WICBC is accountable
to No One . It is not Transparent ;
nor is it Accountable ; worst yet it
has been & is an abysmal Steward
of Cricket in the Region .

The truth is that the Regional Boards as just as bad as the Worst
International Cricket Board in the
Commonwealth , the WICBC .

dayne 2017-04-22 08:19:06 

Since Cameron became President of the Board he has elevated the trend by the WICB of mishandling issues. He seem to be more interested on how he is viewed than the betterment of WI cricket.

Star 2017-04-22 10:31:24 

In reply to rubberd

Based on the evidence the court can decide that the treatment is unfair or unreasonable and prescribe a remedy

A remedy is only applied if the plaintiff ask for it in the Statement of Claim. It is called "punitive damages" and it is usually awarded to stop the defendant from doing the same thing again. The courts do not arbitrarily award punitive damages.

Reading between the lines in the article, Bravo is seeking 120k in "compensatory damages" for lost earnings.

With regards to employment law, as an employer, I can fire you whenever I want to as long as I do not violate your Human Rights. If you are under contract, I will have to pay out your contract and if you are salaried, I will have to pay you severance which is usually peanuts.

If you work for the government or if you are unionized, you fall under a different set of rules and regulations, in which case the ability to terminate is a more drawn out process.

POINT 2017-04-22 11:53:52 

In reply to dayne

YOU are a very perceptive person ;
You are absolutely Right in your
assessment .

POINT 2017-04-22 12:12:03 

Rather than claiming to being frustrated by Bravo ; Cameron & the WICBC can call his Lawyer , who
more than likely will talk to them .

Iinterestingly , it seems that Bravo
has heeded the advice of his Lawyer , by remaining silent .

Evidently that is precisely what is
frustrating Cameron & Co. My hope & expectation is that , when
this matter is settled , the People in the WICBC will come to the realization that they are not as powerful as they believe .

The fact that the WICBC is a Private
Entity , does not exempt it from adherring to Basic Human Rights .
hopefully also the Regional Boards
will also understand that .

It is high time that Cameron & cO , and the Regional Boards fully understand that their Power has limits .

I salute Bravo & his Lawyer for
putting the Spotlight on the blatant
Excesses of the Worst International
Cricket Board in the Commonwealth
aka the WICBC .

POINT 2017-04-22 12:15:26 

In reply to Star

WE are both on the same page .