The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Pssssssssssssst Danville Walker guilty

Chrissy 2017-04-21 20:08:13 

of breaching Contractor General's Act

Former Commissioner of Customs Danville Walker has been found guilty of breaching the Contractor General Act and has been sentenced to the maximum fine of $5,000 or 14 days in prison.

The verdict and sentence was handed down by Senior Parish Judge Tara Carr in the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court a short while ago.

Prosecutors charged that during his tenure at the Jamaica Customs Agency in 2011, Walker breached the Contractor General Act by not providing, in a timely manner, information requested by the Office of the Contractor General (OCG).

The OCG had investigated allegations that the customs department under Walker's leadership, allowed the export of 97 containers of scrap metal despite a ban on the industry at the time and without the requisite licenses.

Walker, now the managing director of the Jamaica Observer, through his attorneys, he questioned whether the OCG had the lawful authority to make the request of him.

He also indicated that at the time he was a candidate in the General Election and was out campaigning day and night.

Don't look fi dis at di Observer

nitro 2017-04-21 20:18:53 

In reply to Chrissy

Just read it online at the Observer. A $5000 fine.

Courtesy 2017-04-21 20:33:18 

In reply to nitro

How much is that in US currency?

If it's less than 50 tell he I'll write him a cheque.

big grin

nitro 2017-04-21 21:48:43 

In reply to Courtesy

US$38. Why would the system waste all that time with a fine that is less than Chrissy's beauty salon bill?

Chrissy 2017-04-22 07:12:04 

The fine is stupid.

Courtesy 2017-04-22 07:43:20 

In reply to nitro

Doesn't look like a deterrent to me. Anyway my cheque has already been wire transferred.

big grin

camos 2017-04-22 08:22:58 

There is a big problem with those outdated fines, last week the gangster that used forged documents to get a passport was charged $100. I think the problem is that these charges have to be adjusted by Parliament, instead of at the agency level.

cricketmad 2017-04-22 12:59:56 

In reply to camos

Outdated laws are everywhere !