The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

W.I top order batsmen and swing bowling

Real-cricket 2017-04-21 22:03:21 

They will always come up short because they do not face swing bowling with pace at regional level. instead they face some paff paff spinners on slow pitches.

londoner 2017-04-21 22:16:55 

In reply to Real-cricketto conter the swing, all you have to do is bat out your crease.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-04-22 00:33:19 

In reply to Real-cricket

or the freshness of the wicket makes it difficult for the openers but when it settles down the middle order copes

NYCGURU 2017-04-22 07:50:28 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

You are spot on.The challenge was always going to be getting through the first session without much dammage. I got to Sabina right after lunch, and batting was much easier. The lads applied themselves and carved out a much needed centuary partnership. Unfortunate dismissal by Chase,at a time when the bowlers were tiring. Its the first time in recent memory,that i can recall a team only using four bowlers an entire day.

Real-cricket 2017-04-22 16:58:40 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

You need to have the technique to survive the early onslaught. So you are telling me that our top order can only bat when conditions are easy? Well they need to wheel and come again

Runs 2017-04-22 17:24:07 

In reply to londoner

Yep cool

Baje 2017-04-22 18:06:01 

Most batsmen cant handle swing at pace. A year ago Pakistan was the number 1 test team in the world.
I think Hetmyer needs to be moved further down the order at this stage of his career. I am not sure who can handle the # 3 position. Maybe Lewis with his aggression ..

spider 2017-04-22 18:13:29 

In reply to Baje

Exactly. There is no batsman that is comfortable against swing at high pace. Batting out of your crease might help because the ball will have less time to swing but how far outside your crease can you bat without it bringing other problems against quick bowling? It might not be as simple as that

Gun_Play 2017-04-22 18:41:42 

This is where the experience of playing swing comes into play.

The WestIndian batsman needs to learn that when the ball is swinging at pace they should play to survive until it stops swinging.

That means sensible batting.

Avoid cross batted shots.

Avoid trying to drive on the up.

Some players put away the cover drive completely.

XDFIX 2017-04-22 18:52:02 

In reply to Baje

Dow should bat at three best technique bar none

Runs 2017-04-22 19:23:20 

In reply to Gun_Play

wink
Practice with tape ball pun wet concrete

Oilah 2017-04-22 19:39:11 

Get some play in the English leagues and it doesn't have to be at the highest level. Heavy doses of swing will help.

Play it late like Shiv and don't play unnecessary shots...master the leave alone until you master the conditions.

Baje 2017-04-22 19:54:03 

In reply to XDFIX
Barbados does no one a service by batting him at #7. I think he would need lots of FC practice opening. He loves to hook and he is not really good at it. He also loves to drive without moving his feet.

Real-cricket 2017-04-22 22:35:16 

In reply to spider

pace or no pace our top order batsmen keep falling to swing bowling. We are not accustomed to that in the Windies. Moreover when it bounces too much we look like deers in headlights. Our first class cricket is not helping especially with these slow low wickets.Our batsmen look comfortable when the pitch is docile. Just add some swing and bounce and we head back to the pavillion.

Real-cricket 2017-04-22 22:41:10 

I expect lower order batsmen to be undone by swing everytime. Not our top order.