The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

They all hoping Hope fails.

Logic 2017-04-22 12:52:29 

Bowled by a brilliant inswinger form Amir at a challenging time in the match and in probably only his 3rd or so innings not opening Shai Hope suddenly becomes the target for accusations of unwarranted selection....just days after the targets were Chase and Dowrich, the eventual first innings heroes.

I dont know for sure whether Hope will make it as a test cricketer but i am certain that, those of you who have seen Shai bat at other levels of the game, by your premature excitement about seeing his demise, are exposing yourselves as mere flag wavers and not lovers of cricket.

As a Bajan I can at least take some pride in the fact that Barbadians generally still love the game and its aesthetics, sometimes to a fault....so much so that that flawed individuals like Carl Hooper and Lawrence Rowe still ride high in the esteem of Bajans because of the grace and poise of their batsmanship.

Yes Hope may fail, but it would be a loss for cricket, not just for a few nationalist flag wavers.

tc1 2017-04-22 13:02:49 

In reply to Logic

Logic, just have faith, Hope is real, his regional career started in the same manner, he is the real one.

Logic 2017-04-22 13:36:40 

In reply to tc1 So true about his regional start.

As Carl Hooper proved, success has as much to do with temperament as talent, but it amazes me that nationalism can so warp people's judgement that they are eager for a gifted young player to fail.

Courtesy 2017-04-22 13:39:10 

In reply to Logic

Brother, trust me, it's not only nationalism at play here. There is more that meets the ears and eyes.

Pressure, pressure...

big grin

SirGarny 2017-04-22 13:43:38 

In reply to Logic

Shai Hope suddenly becomes the target for accusations of unwarranted selection.

He's picked in favor of someone who's twice as productive on test level than he is. It's not personal..believe me...

Hope seems to be a nice fella who works hard at his craft...but he's the benefit of the same insularity and personal favoritism that has bedeviled Windies cricket for decades.

I'm a proud Jamaican..yet I'm not offended that Blackwood was dropped[/b]. We believe he's a much more capable batsman than his mediocre returns suggest. I'm sure Bajans are equally confident in Hope's abilities.

Maybe many are angry that the same standards of merit and value don't apply ....but...what else is new.

NYCGURU 2017-04-22 13:48:22 

In reply to Logic

Dont let the noise mongers kill your joy. The people who genuinely love windies cricket and hoping to see talented youngsters come through that can help to change our fortunes, are not involved in the petty name calling and Island bashing. At the end of the day, it speaks more about their shortcomings than anything else.

mikesiva 2017-04-22 13:49:52 

In reply to Logic

On the contrary, a lot of us want to see West Indies batsmen succeed, including Shai Hope...but you can only carry a Test batting average of 17.15 for so long before you become the focus of attention.

It happened to Devon Smith, remember?

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander...does Shai have the mental strength to turn his fortunes around. I "hope" so....
big grin

Logic 2017-04-22 14:21:12 

In reply to mikesiva
Now you are being intellectually dishonest. The guy has only played a few innings. Most of them were out of position as an opener. Averages are meaningless in this context and for such a small sample. Otherwise Carlos Brathwaite should be the first batsman named on the team sheet. Calling Devon Smith's name only makes your arguments even more daft.

With regard to Blackwood, you need to honestly consider not just Blackwoods mediocre stats but the nature of his innings to ask whether even his 31 average is sustainable.

Logic 2017-04-22 14:36:21 

In reply to mikesiva
As to mental strength how can you judge that if he is not given a fair run. Certainly he has proven his temperament at regional level after an aborted start as a 21 yr old. I promise you if Jamaica produces a batsman with Shai's talent and attitude i will back him for a decent run. But Blackwood is certainly not that guy.

Doesnt mean that i am writing Blackwood off as a WI batsman. Just means that I have seen enough of Hope to expect that he will ultimately be a top international cricketer and seen enough of Blackwood to doubt that he can reach those heights.

natty_forever 2017-04-22 14:45:38 

In reply to Logic... stuck in the past. Name one batsman of the modern era not Bajan, you have the same sentiment for as those two you mentioned. Sorry your logic still says you bias. However, I would not have played Hety and played an additional Bajan, just kidding another bowler.

Kay 2017-04-22 17:08:00 

In reply to Logic

This is a numbers game and regardless of what you may think about your favourite player the default criteria will always be the stats.....

Scar 2017-04-22 19:01:34 

In reply to Logic

Out similar to Hetmyer. I am still on.the Hope anility wagon. However please dont try to ssy Hope is similar to Rowe. Secondly Devon Smith comparisons aoply to sll batsmen who yop FC but struggle at Tests. Smith did score 60 in his 1st didnt he? Lets hope Shai isnt another Dwayne Smith though. The Dowich issue is only 2 guys here being idiotic.

The fact remains that Blackwood with all his faults has 10 scores 50 or above in 22 innings and has played saving innings twice. So considering how run scoring batsmen starved WI is why is he left off?

Pretty or technically correct does not a successful batsman nake at Test level. Runs does!

Maispwi 2017-04-22 19:13:24 

Why all dis song and dance about Hope? Ganga was dropped after scoring back to back centuries against Australia. Of more concern should be his manner of dismissals.

Bowled and lbw account for 50% of his dismissals in his fledging career. He must reduce this to be successful

imusic 2017-04-22 21:35:05 

Funny thread cool

SirGarny 2017-04-22 23:49:51 

In reply to Logic

Doesnt mean that i am writing Blackwood off as a WI batsman. Just means that I have seen enough of Hope to expect that he will ultimately be a top international cricketer and seen enough of Blackwood to doubt that he can reach those heights.

Wow!!

Well Blackwood once averaged 50 at test cricket and at the stage in his career that Hope's is currently, Blackwood's average was 39...

Now I'm sure your explanation of Hope's overall test average of 17 has some merit...

I wonder if the rest of us can use the same justification to defend our favorite batsmen? Seems like Courtney Browne agrees with you.

SirGarny 2017-04-22 23:56:49 

In reply to mikesiva

LOGIC said this..

The guy has only played a few innings. Most of them were out of position as an opener. Averages are meaningless in this context and for such a small sample.

and this..

Just means that I have seen enough of Hope to expect that he will ultimately be a top international cricketer and seen enough of Blackwood to doubt that he can reach those heights.

Obviously Courtney Brown agrees with him...

wink confused

Kay 2017-04-23 01:45:28 

In reply to Logic

They all hoping Hope fails.

Really??? I think Hope is doing it all by himself....

Courtesy 2017-04-23 06:04:40 

Fellas so desperate and badminded they are comparing "a hard back has been" to a yute who has just started his test career and batted in a position in which he was unprepared to fit in the role.

Give de facting yute a chance to at least play 11 test matches...and this is only half the number played by the hard back.

Is it asking too much of the evil minded to assess Shai's performanbce after he has played only half of what the hard back player has played? Cho man!!!!

Allyuh bandminded disingenuous skunts are comparing 22 to 7.

doosra 2017-05-01 18:35:21 

courtesy mad dem big grin

Courtesy 2017-05-01 19:02:36 

Guyneez Mad ants on the go boy.

Dey seriously riled up. Allyuh aint see nutten yet.

De shithound Bishoo has to go.

lol lol lol