The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

All who laughing now, wouldn't be laughing

methodic 2017-04-24 19:25:02 

in two years time, despite how poor the board is. This batting will come good. In Powell, Hetmyer, Carty, Dowrich,Chase,Blackwood, Mohamed, Cariah, Ambris, Devon Thomas and a couple others there is enough talent to build a very good test line up. The person that called for Hetmyer knows basmanship and we have to be bold. Hope is also going to be good but Hope is the type of player that needs to be properly oriented. He is only 20 so if he is not ready now, that doesn't mean he is not going to a good international player.

Chrissy 2017-04-24 19:28:59 

In reply to methodic

How many of them average 40 or above at regional first class?

Runs 2017-04-24 19:29:44 

In reply to Chrissy

And a poor FC standard at that lol

methodic 2017-04-24 19:35:45 

In reply to Chrissy

when I coach I look for those with talent first then I look at stats.If you have the talent and I get you in the right environment then your chance of you succeeding is much greater than those with high averages and average talent.

methodic 2017-04-24 19:40:23 

In reply to Chrissy

If everything was based on average then sports team will not have so many scouts and pay them highly. What we need to do is improve the thinking around the game both on and off the field. Hopefully Jimmy and Law can help tremendously in that regard.

Narper 2017-04-24 19:44:18 

In reply to methodic

when I coach I look for those with talent first then I look at stats
good enough at the school boy level...for test cricket you have to put dong the runs and attain a healthy avaerge....at the FC level

Check out them 20 year olds from other countries and see their averages/tons and 5 wicket hauls etc

Chrissy 2017-04-24 19:45:03 

In reply to methodic

If you do not have an average of 40 or above at regional first class, you will not make it in test cricket.
We can allow a few persons with 35 and above but this 30sinting, 20sinting and now teensinting experiment has been an abysmal failure.

JahJah 2017-04-24 19:45:24 

In reply to Chrissy

Shai-te Hope

Chrissy 2017-04-24 19:46:17 

In reply to JahJah

Nah he's a teensinting.

Chrissy 2017-04-24 19:47:04 

In reply to Runs

Dung heap as mi brethren RB used to say

Runs 2017-04-24 19:52:31 

In reply to Chrissy

The facilities, pitches, coaches, players etc are all mediocre, time and time again when they are matched against International teams they are found wanting. My friend Point is on point with his constant criticism of the entire structure.

imusic 2017-04-24 19:57:08 

In reply to Chrissy

methodic related to Hope cool

methodic 2017-04-24 20:00:27 

In reply to Chrissy

Sis, the reason most of our top young players don't average 40 is because the environment around them is not conducive to getting the best out of our players. The board made a serious mistake by trying to bring a professional league before they professionalized the systems around the cricket. At all cost the teams that must be fully professionalized are our international teams. Then it is in that environment our most talented players will be groomed until we have a professional system in place in the region. This is the same scenario where a footballer in Africa will be very talented but not proficient in his game. The scout sees the talent and brings him to a professional club and in a due time, he becomes an outstanding player.

imusic 2017-04-24 20:32:07 

In reply to methodic

The board made a serious mistake by trying to bring a professional league before they professionalized the systems around the cricket.

Interesting

Curious to know what systems around the cricket should be professionalized

methodic 2017-04-24 21:34:11 

In reply to imusic

High level professionalism is based on standardization, education, execution and resolution.
Before there is standardization there must be proper training or education. So in every department that is related to the league off-field, there must must be highly trained associates. so then the league could set standards for travel arrangements, pitches,equipment management, fields, facilities etc. There must be proper assessment through report and reviews.
People working in the actual teaching,coaching and management of the players must be continually exposed to the newest developments in the game and in sports management in general. Each team must have sufficient staff in all areas. Umpires must be trained and tested.
Then of course the league must be sold to the public. So there must be interaction and agreements with the media, corporations, schools etc. Press conferences before and after games are a must. The history of your region must be represented in your league and West Indies have a very rich cricket history. And of course when things are not executed as planned there must be regulations in place that swiftly resolves things.

imusic 2017-04-24 22:07:47 

In reply to methodic

All of that interferes with first class air fare for management, suites in top hotels for management, luxury car allowances for management, salary for management and union executive, per diems, meals and beverages at top restaurants for management etc

methodic 2017-04-24 22:25:49 

In reply to imusic

big grin

anandgb 2017-04-24 22:39:29 

In reply to imusic

lol

POINT 2017-04-24 23:07:49 

In reply to methodic

With all due resect , your nom de plume does not fit what you have written very well .

Allow me to once again repeat what
I have consistently stated in this Forum ; that can never ever be disputed .

1. THE STANDARD OF CRICKET IN

REGION IS PISS POOR , WHEN

COMPARED TO THE STANDARD

INTERNATIONALLY. THIS IS A

FACT ; IT SURELY AINT FICTION

My take is that those in the Governance of Cricket in the Region
ultimately Must be held responsible
for this Mess . It surely aint the
Players .

2. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR

ENSURING THE PLAYERS

HAVE PROPER CAMPS & ARE

FULLY FIT ; & READY TO PLAY

My take is that this also is the
Responsibility of the Stewards of
Cricket in the Region .

3. WHY IS IT THAT IN PREVIOUS

YEARS OUR PLAYERS HAD

A FITNESS TRAINER , AND

CURRENTLY THEY DO NOT

HAVE ANY ???????????????

Are the Players responsible for
getting a Fitness Trainer ??????
When I consider the above , I have
to conclude that the Worst International Cricket Board in the
Commonwealth , aka the WICBC
has been and is Derelict in its Responsibilities .

POINT 2017-04-24 23:27:41 

In reply to methodic

When compared to other INternational Teams , OUR Players
are not playing enough Cricket , and
this is precisely why they are not
as competitive as they can & should be in the International Cricket Arena

You & others who think like you
need to refresh your Memories
regarding the former Great Players
Strategy in their approach to preparing their Players in the famous or infamous 20 million dollars match vs England .

My recollection is that those former Great Players had a Camp :

THAT CAMP HAD A DURATION OF

6 FREAKING WEEKS .

I cite this so that YOU & Others
who think like you , this freaking
Fact :

IF WE WANT OUR PLAYERS TO BE

FULLY COMPETITIVE IN THE

INTERNATIONAL CRICKET ARENA

MONEY MUST BE SPENT IN

PROPER PREPARATION . IF THE

GOAL IS TO MAKE OUR PLAYERS

COMPETITIVE IN INTERNATIONAL

CRICKET .

In essence money must be spent to
ultimately make money , obviously
the money spent would easily be
recouped when our Players start
climbing the ladder in International
Cricket in the longer versions of the
game .

BTW in these versions of the game
Internationally OUR Players are
wallowing at or near the bottom .
I am not laughing ; I am just extremely Sad that those in the Governance of Cricket in the Region
are CLUELESS regarding what MUST BE DONE to make our Players in the longer versions of the game fully competitive .

THE TRUTH IS THAT OUR PLAYERS

COMPETITIVENESS IN THE

SHORTEST VERSION OF THE GAME

HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO

DO WITH THE WICBC , IT WAS NOT

IN CONTROL OF THIS VERSION OF

THE GAME FROM ITS INCEPTION .

THE ACCOLADES FOR THEIR FEATS

IS DUE TO THE STEWARDSHIP OF

OUR FORMER GREAT PLAYERS

NOT THE WICBC ; WHO RELISH

BASKING IN THE GLORY THAT IT

HAD VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH

SINCE THE WICBC FARMED OUT

THIS VERSION OF THE GAME .

The gist of what I am saying is that
Improvement can only come if & when those in the governance of
West Indies Cricket follow the Template of those Former Great
Players .

I seriously however do not think that the WICBC will ever do that ;
because of its exaulted position
of being the Steward of West Indies
Cricket .Doing that is anathema to
the Emperors in the WICBC .

rubberd 2017-04-25 09:11:17 

In reply to methodic

Strategic intent is important and past actions of the board indicate political expediency.
The board finds it easier to deal with emerging players who once they become established and no longer malleable are discarded for varying reasons.
Talent management is woefully absent at CWI.

methodic 2017-04-25 09:47:49 

In reply to rubberd

The board finds it easier to deal with emerging players who once they become established and no longer malleable are discarded for varying reasons.

yes, but this policy is only good for one or two generations. The group that will change the operation of West Indies cricket is the same group that were tagged the "Dons". The Gayles, the Pollards, the Narines and the Bravos. They have something the former, former past players don't have. They have money and powerful connections that will be willing to support them. This group will eventually threaten the operation of the board more than Caricom.

POINT 2017-04-25 10:15:05 

In reply to rubberd

You are a very perceptive & inciteful
Person . You have stated what few
in this Forum are still in the Dark .

Star 2017-04-25 11:21:54 

In reply to methodic
You have a serious problem.

You are putting forward ideas that embodies rational thought, logic and common sense.

Hopefully with Jimmy at the helm we may see some of that but don't hold your breath, he was already sanctioned for his rational thought, logic and common sense outlook going forward.

Mate, this is the WICB you are talking about.

rubberd 2017-04-25 11:36:00 

In reply to Star

The great thing about Jimmy is that he has credibility, WICB needs Jimmy to stick around to help ppl take them seriously. So Jimmy and Law can make a difference but will they stand their ground or "draw a paycheck".

The first item on the agenda has to be, fix WIPA. Without support of senior players cricket in the region is doomed, the very good players will opt out, did Taylor and Chanders need a NOC to play in England.

googley 2017-04-25 12:19:12 

In reply to methodic

2 years? I have been hearing this same song for the last 20 years!

Where are they going to develop in 2 years? Using the same approach as the last 20 years?

Has something changed that we dont know about?

DIEHARD 2017-04-25 12:28:12 

In reply to googley

Conde say de man dem a eat a food now.

That was the great plan to improve the standard of cricket..pay dem..jus sit back now and watch dem beat up de world!!!!!! lol

TheTrail 2017-04-25 14:45:12 

Those stats below are from Doosra's take on another thread.

The only person who had an over forty average was Chanderpaul yet...

Shiv just before debut (19 3/4ish)

25 innings, 5 not out, 944 runs, 7 50s, 2 100s, avg 47.2

Hety - 20 1/2 years old

32 innings 2 not out, 1059 runs, 1 100s, 6 50s avg 35.30

Sarwan - just short of 20th bday)

63 innings 5 not out 1696 runs 10 50s 3 100s avg 29.25

disclaimer --- I may be off by a few here and there but i think i've captured all

Tryangle 2017-04-25 15:30:08 

In reply to TheTrail

... and at that point Shiv was a useful leg spinner as well?

POINT 2017-04-25 15:30:58 

In reply to googley

Very good Questions ; I also am awaiting thoughtful responses regardingthe Questions You have asked .

googley 2017-04-25 15:44:53 

In reply to POINT

WI has been doing the same thing expecting different results for the last 20 years. Just wondering whats changing in the next 2 years. lol

SirGarny 2017-04-25 16:22:46 

In reply to Chrissy

None I don't think..
wink cry sad

WerlBoss 2017-04-25 16:45:46 

In reply to methodic

I agree . We got a good team as is but whose to say the team will still be here in the next 2 years. Selectors doing shite and our players looking can only do so much without a strong board behind them. I feel we need to work on the players we have now, Powell, Hetmeyer even Blackwood. Can't be switching and changing up the team ever so often. We need them to be consistent if we want to compete as a world class team. My 2 cents

WerlBoss 2017-04-25 16:47:01 

In reply to Chrissy

None I think but do we have any who do?

POINT 2017-04-25 17:42:02 

In reply to googley

Regarding the WICBC , the answer
is Absolutely nothing . As I have stated elsewhere in this Forum .

The onus is on the Regional Governments to summon up their Testicular Fortitude & take the
Worst International Cricket Board
in the Commonwealth , aka the WICBC to Court .

FOR MANY YEARS THE WICBC HAS

NOT BEEN TRANSPARENT ;

ACCOUNTABLE ; & HAS FAILED

TO EXERCISE GOOD GOVERNANCE

IN ITS STEWARDSHIP OF WEST

INDIES CRICKET .

My take is that by commissioning
several Reports , regarding the
Structure of the WICBC ; and then swiftly dismissed the findings of
those Reports tangibly demonstrates that the WICBC has
for years perpetrated a hoax on the
People in the Region .

IT DEMONSTRATES THAT THE

WICBC HAD & HAS ABSOLUTELY

NO INTENTION OF CHANGING ITS

1928 STRUCTURE .

The only sensible solution to this
Intransigence is to remove the WICBC from the stewardship of
West Indies Cricket .

I do not believe that the governments of Antigua & Barbuda
also Jamaica will be in favour of this . BUT IT MUST BE DONE .

The REgional Boards must also be
compelled to be Transparent ; Accountable & Exercise Good Governance .

Failure to do the above will mean that the REgional Boards will have to answer to a higher Authority . I aint kidding .

IF GROWN PEOPLE PERSIST IN

BEHAVING LIKE LITTLE CHILDREN

THEN THEY MUST BE SUPERVISED.

imusic 2017-04-25 18:21:28 

In reply to rubberd

The great thing about Jimmy is that he has credibility, WICB needs Jimmy to stick around to help ppl take them seriously.

Credibility eh?

As soon as Jimmy flap 'im beak bout compromise in selection policies with regards to senior players.....the HAMMER came down from management.

Since then....not a forkane peep from Jimmy. Not a sound. He went from credible to inaudible in a single bound.

Time will tell just how credible he is

methodic 2017-04-25 20:58:22 

In reply to googley

Has something changed that we dont know about?

of course, only those that pay close attention to the finer details of the make up of champions will decipher these developments.

CricketLuva4 2017-04-26 07:03:05 

In reply to Chrissy

Hope and Paint average 40+ in regional cricket.

Hety is around mid 30s and heading in the right direction.

Sheik 2017-04-26 10:06:41 

methodic,

MATE YOU ARE REHASHING THE SAME OLD TRASH THAT WE HAVE HEARD FROM YOUR ILK OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD!!

YOU ARE A DREAMER!!!!

THIS LOT IS WORSE THAN THE ONES THAT CAME IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THEM..............AND SO ON AND SO ON!!!

IMAGINE THEM IN AUSTRALIA AGAINST A BOWLING ATTACK OF CUMMINS, STARC, HAZLEWOOD AND PATTINSON!!!

OH RA$$!!!

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!

HA!HA!HA!

SHEIK

methodic 2017-04-26 23:19:32 

In reply to Sheik

do you understand the logic of Caribbean success?

Cornfused 2017-04-27 09:00:55 

After blazing runs regionally Shai Hope has not exactly set the world alight in Tests after 8 tests his average in 15.40 . Many see the Darren Bravo impasse as nothing but he along with Crig were our best test batsmen over that last few years .

Powell did reasonably well but our top four batting needs to come up to scratch . Hety , Bravo , Powell and Shia should be competing for the top batting order of the test team

methodic 2017-05-06 12:54:05 

In reply to methodic

in three years we will take Australia

Oilah 2017-05-06 13:21:02 

I try to avoid de prediction ting other than "Hope will make nuff of de hatemongers ball"
I will say this I love dis group of young players and I think in time they will be a top notch squad.