The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Black footballers in Italy should strike...

NineMiles 2017-05-03 11:29:29 

Ex-Tottenham striker Garth Crooks says "every self-respecting black player" in the Italian league should strike this weekend unless Sulley Muntari's one-match suspension is withdrawn.

Pescara midfielder Muntari, 32, was banned after he protested against racist abuse he received from the crowd during Sunday's Serie A match at Cagliari, which earned him a yellow card for dissent before he walked off.

Italy's football chiefs were branded "gutless" by anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out.

"Those with power in Italy need to take action to stop this happening again," Kick It Out tweeted.

Sulley Muntari: Garth Crooks calls for black players in Italy to strike

BeachBum 2017-05-03 11:35:49 

Exactly why I would never back a team from Italy, Spain or Argentina.

Devin 2017-05-03 12:15:12 

Same thing happened in Boston just a few days ago to Adam Jones, the baseball player.

Tryangle 2017-05-03 15:24:08 

In reply to Devin

Sad that there remain people who think it's cool or okay to lambaste somebody like that.

And in the case of the Red Sox, two of the three starting OFs for that team are black - do those "fans" heckle those guys with such fervour, or do they save that for the drive home?

JahJah 2017-05-03 16:16:48 

In reply to NineMiles

This shit still takes place over there????

SAD!

BeachBum 2017-05-03 16:45:05 

In reply to Devin
Yup! Boston is notorious for that. I lived there for 16 years.

Halliwell 2017-05-04 08:41:11 

How about the fans boycott
I mean the Caribbean fans
Stop watching Serie A

We will do nothing except suggest what others *should do smile

Chrissy 2017-05-04 09:07:18 

In reply to NineMiles

Agreed

NineMiles 2017-05-06 04:22:59 

In reply to Chrissy

Ban overturned

Sulley Muntari has had the one-match ban he received after protesting against racist abuse overturned.

The Pescara midfielder left the field after being booked in Sunday's Serie A game at Cagliari for complaining of being abused.

The Italian Football Federation said it had considered the "particular delicacy" of the case.

"I hope this is a turning point in Italy and shows what it means to stand up for your rights," said Muntari, 32.

"I feel that someone has finally listened to me. The last few days have been very hard for me. I have felt angry and isolated.

"I was being treated like a criminal. How could I be punished when I was the victim of racism?

"I hope my case can help so that other footballers do not suffer like me."