The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Was Obama Presidency a waste

cricketmygame 2017-05-04 09:18:39 

if most of that he achieved in 8 yrs can be undone is less than 1 year, what does that say about what he did?

nick2020 2017-05-04 09:27:16 

In reply to cricketmygame

Or it tells you what is possible when one party controls so much.

pelon 2017-05-04 09:33:10 

No!
If you built a home, and 8 years later someone wants your land, buys your house and land, and promptly bulldozed it... Was your home a waste?

Obama established what he thought was the path for America. Even though what he ended up with was a compromised Healthcare Act, he tried to change things as his administration saw fit.

The new administration, swelled with their own agenda* have sought to bulldoze all that Obama established. The consequences will play itself out over time at the polls. Americans (and Russians) decided their fate at the polls.

PS: Not just Obama, previous administrations too. What Trump is doing in the EPA attacks decades of environmental protections.His roll back of Dodd-Frank precedes Obama... NASA cuts, Education cuts... only thing up is military...

the republican way.

StumpCam 2017-05-04 10:06:34 

Obama did what was best for the common man!
Obviously, the Republicans are doing what is best for the rich!

black 2017-05-04 10:16:50 

if most of that he achieved in 8 yrs can be undone is less than 1 year, what does that say about what he did?

I doubt if healthcare is going to be undone, the Repubs are caught between a rock and a hard place, they are faced with the pledge they made to voters and those who want to keep Obamacare. I suspect that they will send it to the Senate, where it's going to be killed or retain many Obamacare provisions. It's a way to save face.

nitro 2017-05-04 10:24:43 

A combination of Obama being a pathetic loser and The Donald being a successful man of action. No sweet speeches just getting the work done.

Obama is back to what he is good at, great speeches.

nitro 2017-05-04 10:27:10 

In reply to nick2020

Obama had over two years with almost everything and diddly squat to show for it.

The Donald has cleaned him up in 3 months despite attempts by the media and Dems to sabotage him!

pelon 2017-05-04 10:33:29 

Headline: ‘Their dream president’: Trump just gave white evangelicals a big boost
WP article

Trump just removed the Johnson Amendment, which in 1954 effectively barred pastors from endorsing or opposing candidates from the pulpit.

So, yes, he's bulldozed Obama's efforts, but it's myopic to look only at one past presidents efforts.

Trump is re-shaping America - and in a way only a 'specific sector' will benefit.

Kay 2017-05-04 10:36:36 

In reply to StumpCam

Obama did what was best for the common man!
Obviously, the Republicans are doing what is best for the rich!

Suh de guvment shouldn't look out for each and every citizen of the state?

In which case both should count as failures

black 2017-05-04 10:48:32 

In reply to pelon

I disagree, executive order can easily be undone and some of them might not change much in a massive bureaucratic structure.

pelon 2017-05-04 11:00:40 

In reply to black

Are you thinking I disagree with this: "executive order can easily be undone and some of them might not change much in a massive bureaucratic structure."

We are on the same page, however, many many small axe items that he (Trump) has done WILL have significant impact. Again: EPA environmental roll-backs, NASA/NOAA cuts, and many Banking regulatory roll backs have been executed, and are gonna change the landscape...

So I'm not seeing that we are saying something different from each other.

Cleg 2017-05-04 11:10:39 

In reply to Kay

No doubt you consider yourself rich

...but I figure StumpCam was referring to "the 1% rich".

SirGarny 2017-05-04 12:19:53 

In reply to black

to the Senate, where it's going to be killed or retain many Obamacare provisions. It's a way to save face.

Many of the Obama-care core components are irreversible without major consequences, both politically and bottom line. It's designed for healthy people to enlarge the pool in order to assist the sick with the cost of getting well. (the mandate)

When a significant number of healthy people feel that it's cheaper to pay the penalty than to carry insurance that they will not likely use, the health care costs go up.

Regarding the pre-existent conditions, while a physician can't deny one coverage, the insurance companies are certainly free to charge an unaffordable amount under the proposed Republican bill.

While Obama-care is not perfect, it most certainly is fixable. Republicans, for political reasons, don't want it fixed or amended. They want it replaced...with...heaven know what.

black 2017-05-04 12:34:11 

In reply to SirGarny

I agree, this is nothing but a, "see, we repealed it, moment".

Many provisions will still be in place.

cricketmygame 2017-05-04 12:37:40 

In reply to pelon

so Trump helping his base

what about Obama and his base?

black 2017-05-04 12:45:59 

what about Obama and his base?

That's why you have to win elections.

ray 2017-05-04 12:48:19 

The healthcare bill Repubs are proposing will not help Trump's base

SnoopDog 2017-05-04 13:14:30 

In reply to ray

Both parties have two bases. They have their electoral base and they have their corporate base.

They obtain power through their electoral base and obtain wealth through their corporate base. The Republicans have perfected the art of convincing their electoral base that their interests are aligned with that of the corporate base.

StumpCam 2017-05-04 14:43:30 

In reply to Kay

Don't be a simpleton! You fully well know that the rich are very influential when it comes to guvment policies! Do you actually believe the common man has the same influence?? rolleyes

SirGarny 2017-05-04 14:55:43 

In reply to SnoopDog

They obtain power through their electoral base and obtain wealth through their corporate base. The Republicans have perfected the art of convincing their electoral base that their interests are aligned with that of the corporate base.

That's an accurate and eloquent way of putting it. I can't see how a suffering West Virginia coal miner and the CEO of the mining company can similarly benefit from a tax cut.

BeachBum 2017-05-04 17:09:31 

In reply to SnoopDog

You saying I'm not gonna benefit from a trickle down?
sad

Chrissy 2017-05-04 17:15:02 

Of course all black people are a waste - don't yuh know that..

What a damned stupid post

nitro 2017-05-05 06:06:00 

In reply to Chrissy

We are not a waste but we are wasteful.

Obama wasted a great opportunity, twice. His rise to the greatest job in the world was impressive but complacency cost him and his party bigly!

birdseye 2017-05-05 07:06:26 

In reply to nitro

By the way - which healthcare bill is still law of the land this morning, Obama care or Trump Care?

Remember Mark Twain’s quote - “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

The great US football coach Vince Lombardi once told his young player who celebrated excessively after a touchdown - “When you go into the end zone, act like you've been there before.”

This is a president and Republican party who is only about targeting the vulnerable, and immigrants – and for that you are joining in spiking the football------

Nothing can possibly be conceived in the world, or even out of it, which can be called good, without qualification, except good will.---- Emanuel Kant

cricketmygame 2017-05-10 11:46:02 

In reply to Chrissy

Of course all black people are a waste - don't yuh know that..

What a damned stupid post

how many times did you vote for Obama?

now shut yuh curass mouth

cricketmygame 2017-05-10 11:47:21 

I wish Obama was willing to push the boundaries as Trump is doing now

Obama in a way allowed himself to be stalled by GOP

I do understand there is a different demographic in play

Larr Pullo 2017-05-10 11:58:57 

It will not be a waste if it causes the current administration to expose their nefariousness, which should lead to many of them going to jail or banished forever from ever holding any public office above dog catcher!

cricketmygame 2017-05-10 12:01:48 

In reply to Larr Pullo

this administration has broken almost every rule with no consequence

Runs 2017-05-10 12:08:04 

I would not conclude and dismiss as such as yet, it is early days and putting together an airtight case takes careful due diligence and time. Let's see how it all plays out. cool

black 2017-05-10 12:24:00 

In reply to Runs

Correct. That's why I pay no attention to what Nitro says about "no evidence". If you don't search you will not find.

cricketmygame 2017-05-10 12:25:32 

In reply to black

it's not a matter of if there is evidence or not

here is an e.g. nepotism laws. out the door.

conflict of interest. out the door.

just to name a few. and those are just the blatant ones

Runs 2017-05-10 12:46:31 

You have to be cognizant of the fact that this President enjoys the support of a Republican House and Senate who are very reluctant to proceed. It will take bipartisan effort to rise above and the belief in the rule of law, the constitution, threat to American democratic principles etc to overcome. I have a feeling that eventually we will see all rise to that level.

black 2017-05-10 13:36:02 

In reply to Runs

I have a feeling that eventually we will see all rise to that level.

Correct. There's no question that Republicans want to protect Trump but when the evidence rise to a certain level, they will abandon ship. It happened during Watergate.

SnoopDog 2017-05-10 13:58:55 

In reply to black

It became abundantly clear to me whilst listening to Sally Yates' testimony before the Senate sub-committee that she was doing her darnest best to protect Mike Pence from Flynn when she was the AG.

But despite that, Ted "the Midget" Cruz kept accusing her of partisanship. The Republican party will be the death knell for democracy in Murica.

black 2017-05-10 14:13:30 

In reply to SnoopDog

It became abundantly clear to me whilst listening to Sally Yates' testimony before the Senate sub-committee that she was doing her darnest best to protect Mike Pence from Flynn when she was the AG

I don't know if she was doing that, she simply stated that the VP was making statements based on false information given to him.

SnoopDog 2017-05-10 14:16:09 

In reply to black

That's right and it was her job to warn Pence about it, which she did.

She also warn members of the campaign team (as they then were) about Flynn being compromised. All those warnings fell on deaf ears.

The PussyGrabber-in-Chief even went ahead and made Flynn his National Security Adviser!