The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Law & Order and Holder condemn pitch

Narper 2017-05-06 09:56:52 

In fact, Holder described some features of the pitch as “unacceptable” and urged more attention to be paid the standard of pitch preparation across the region.

“I don’t think it’s the best pitch for cricket if I’m being honest. I just think it deteriorated a little too fast for Test match cricket,” the all-rounder told media following the match.

“I felt as though it should have been able to hold together for a lot longer and the invariable bounce is not really acceptable here at this level. I think things worked out nicely in our favour but it could have been the other way around, had we probably lost the toss and been inserted.”

Link

Narper 2017-05-06 09:57:28 

but Law argued that the nature of the pitch more suited Pakistan’s spinners than the hosts’ faster bowlers.

“I wasn’t expecting what we turned up to see. All I ask for is a very good cricket surface which means there is something in it for everybody – fast bowlers, spinners, batsmen – and if we can’t get a good coverage of grass in a tropical climate there’s something wrong,” he too lamented to reporters.

“It probably wasn’t the pitch we would’ve liked. I know Pakistan were licking the lips when they saw it because it was a bit like a Pakistani pitch. After day one, on day two when we were bowling and bouncers were landing five metres short of the keeper which to me indicates it’s not quite where we want it to be.”

Narper 2017-05-06 09:59:34 

Law said with the Windies attack heavily based on seam bowling, it was important that pitches across the Caribbean provided some assistance to the quicks.

“We’ve got boys who bowl 90 miles per hour and to see the ball do that (not reaching the wicket-keeper) is heart-breaking, particularly on day two,” he continued.

“You expect it on day four and five – no problem. But the way we played in those conditions which suited the opposition more so, I’m very proud of the effort the boys put in.”

sgtdjones 2017-05-06 10:25:14 

Dem blame the pitch fer everyting

so the pitch gets the blame when dem play dumb shots !!!

Only if the pitch could talk we would hear the true story

spider 2017-05-06 11:00:15 

My view is that the pitch might have been substandard but its a major reason they won. It was the pitch that made their bowlers so effective in the second innings. Hope's 90 was priceless. And the West Indies might have lost if they had to bat last on that surface.

Baje 2017-05-06 12:14:40 

In reply to spider
The pitch certainly helped us, but Pakistani pacers were not utilizing the pitch as well as our pacers

Runs 2017-05-06 12:43:41 

WI are the only nations that don't prepare wickets to suit their bowlers.

Narper 2017-05-06 13:28:54 

In reply to Runs

WI are the only nations that don't prepare wickets to suit their bowlers.

The groundsmen NEVER know what they are preparing.

Until trained and qualified guys are employed and adequately compensated to do this job it will continue as is

The Big Idiot needs to look into this...and provide funding

cricketfreak 2017-05-06 13:59:37 

Law and Hold please keep mouth shut and be grateful that West indies were able to win something in this series because West indies are in no position to be calling down anything but themselves, West indies been playing poor cricket for the pass twenty years + .

Gun_Play 2017-05-06 14:12:16 

In reply to Runs

If that pitch was covered in grass the match

wouldn't have lasted three days.

Pakistan quicks would have licked down all our

batsmen. big grin

Runs 2017-05-06 14:26:42 

In reply to Gun_Play

Tek d fluke n chill out nah bro, be thankful

spider 2017-05-06 16:29:31 

In reply to Gun_Play

Are you sure about that? The one pitch with life when WI toured UAE resulted in a WI win