The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Taylor targets Windies recall

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-05-07 06:22:56 

HOVE, England, May 6, CMC – Jerome Taylor said he welcomed the chance to play county matches in England and hoped his brief stint with Sussex can spur a recall to the West Indies team.

The 32-year-old fast bowler last month reversed his decision to retire from Tests last year, admitting he made a mistake and was working hard to regain a place in the Caribbean side for future matches.

“I think I might have jumped the gun retiring from international cricket.,” he told the Argus newspaper.

“When I sit at home and watch, I just want to get back out on the park and play for the West Indies again. I want to give back to West Indies cricket. That is what I always wanted to do growing up and hopefully I can do it again.”

Taylor has played 46 Tests, 85 One-day and 23 Twenty20 Internationals for West Indies between 2003 and his decision to step away from Tests last July.

read more at Antigua Observer

Full Story

Oilah 2017-05-07 07:22:56 

Taylor and Roach in the mix will be good for us. Quality and experience

dayne 2017-05-07 07:30:42 

It might be a little late for Taylor, but I wish him well in England, maybe he could be the fourth pacer on the tour to England later this year. However, I would give that place to Joseph from Guyana as he is part of the future.

mikesiva 2017-05-07 07:41:45 

“I think I might have jumped the gun retiring from international cricket.,”

That degree of honesty is refreshing in West Indies cricket. Even though there are youngsters around such as Keon Joseph, I think experienced pacers such as Roach and Taylor still have a role to play, because they can do something the young pacers have difficulty doing...swing the ball.

The two Josephs could learn from playing alongside the likes of Roach and Taylor.

mkcharles 2017-05-07 17:25:16 

In reply to mikesiva

It's okay to have a change of mind but before we all say in definite terms what should or should not be, if he were to tell us the exact circumstances of how he retired might help.

Sounds like he made a rash decision and has now come to regret it.

I think he just needs to go and play his cricket and let the chips fall however they may.

Priapus 2017-05-07 19:38:21 

In reply to mkcharles

Wasn't it because he was asked to play in a warm up game against the Indians last year? He probably felt that as a senior player he didn't have to prove form or fitness in any warm up game.

Larr Pullo 2017-05-08 15:22:18 

Unless two of the three pacers suffer some catastrophic injury, I don't see any way back for Taylor.

WestDem 2017-05-08 16:44:09 

In reply to mikesiva

...thinking that there would be a few T20 franchise contracts would easily come his way is a big reason fuh de sudden retirement!

Kay 2017-05-08 21:15:49 

In reply to mikesiva

That degree of honesty is refreshing in West Indies cricket.

And how do you arrive at honesty? He 'thinks' he 'might have' .... nuff said

mkcharles 2017-05-08 21:50:55 

In reply to Priapus

Being asked to play and not wanting to play are both fine, but diplomacy is usually the better part of valour...