The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Student schools white teacher: No N-word

pelon 2017-05-08 09:31:30 

I salute these kids.

LINK

Video

Take note of the eloquent conversation in the auditorium after the event.

Ben Franklin High School—named Louisiana’s top public high school

Teacher:

It’s a word that’s used so many times that it doesn’t mean its original meaning,” the teacher responds. “The word has been commoditized so that anyone can use it, and it’s not a negative connotation.”

Student:

“That’s racist …how can you not understand it’s racist for a white man to say n**** to a black man?"
Don’t fucking say that,” the teen pushes back. “You can’t say ‘nigger’ or ‘fucking nigger.’ You’re my fucking teacher; don’t say that shit.”

“Please, it’s a word,” the teacher scoffs. “You cannot go through life acting like a word can affect you.”

“Stop saying ‘nigger’ and ‘nigga.’ Point blank fucking period,” the teen said.

birdseye 2017-05-08 10:12:24 

In reply to pelon
outstanding student - straight on point

Drapsey 2017-05-08 12:55:34 

In reply to pelon

My two cents...

If a black person can un-apologetically use the "N" word (in any of its forms) while a white person is castigated for doing the same, isn't that in itself racial discrimination?

pelon 2017-05-08 13:09:11 

In reply to Drapsey

The jackass that uses that word, be they: white, black, purple, green, rapper, businessman, drunkard, scholar..... is still a jackass.

It is somewhat WORST, hypocritical and a perpetuation... that some black men refer to themselves as such. That is EXACTLY what the whip* and the person holding it wanted.

At no time, does the word come into play for me.

*the whip last longer that the person holding it. The whip is perpetuated by systemic and generational hate that is fueled by prejudice and bigotry, in both word and deed.

Kay 2017-05-08 13:15:44 

In reply to Drapsey

Good question ....

Drapsey 2017-05-08 13:28:48 

In reply to pelon

Thank you.

steveo 2017-05-08 14:29:22 

The jackass that uses that word, be they: white, black, purple, green, rapper, businessman, drunkard, scholar..... is still a jackass.

What would u do if someone says that word to your face?

JahJah 2017-05-08 14:40:32 

In reply to steveo

What would u do if someone says that word to your face?

Knowing you, it sounds like you are seeking a black person to test in this way. Not enough of them in the Mudand? big grin

eXodus 2017-05-08 15:28:03 

In reply to Drapsey

If a black person can un-apologetically use the "N" word (in any of its forms) while a white person is castigated for doing the same, isn't that in itself racial discrimination?

interesting conundrum deh

I personally will never use the "N" word to refer to anyone, however, I've asked that question many times.

nitro 2017-05-08 16:31:26 

In reply to Drapsey

Good question.

I hate that our people find it acceptable to call each other the N word.

It is hypocritical for those same folks to curse the white man for doing same.

birdseye 2017-05-08 16:38:28 

In reply to Drapsey

You know – I may chastise and criticize my kids, but my brothers and sisters have to be quite circumspect in criticizing them – if you understand that difference then you might rethink your comment

pelon 2017-05-08 17:04:56 

In reply to steveo

I am so happy you asked such a question.

I happened to me twice. Neither time did I respond with words - and perhaps my way was wrong.

The fist time I immediately drew my fist and punched the guy in his nose, promptly getting me an invitation to the principal to explain why a student in his school had a broken nose. Once I explain WHY, he leaned in and said privately: "I can't fault you" then leaned back and said loudly (kid was next to me): "That's not the best way to handle anger, for any reason". I was then asked to leave his office. It came to be that he was suspended for a week and never again did he bother me. (It was in Canada, early 80's)

The second time, I was in the sea. Mid 20s drinking (not unusual by my own admission) some guy that was taunting me the entire day, decided he would be brazen enough to call me any and everything...
Same outcome, I punched him in the face. Unfortunately, it hurt me more than him, as I broke a finger - he fell face first in the water and was "retrieved" by his buddy. He never again said a word to me.

I take pride in my heritage, and some boundaries when I was younger was a guaranteed fist fight. Race was one of them. Unlike many good gentlemen here, I did not have a stable temper.

Now: I do not advocate aggression. I do not support aggression... but sometimes [back in the day], a closed fist to the jaw spoke volumes.

nitro 2017-05-08 17:58:11 

In reply to birdseye

Would you call to your kids using derogatory words?

steveo 2017-05-08 19:48:12 

In reply to pelon

Now: I do not advocate aggression. I do not support aggression... but sometimes [back in the day], a closed fist to the jaw spoke volumes.

lol lol lol

Bud, you should not let a word trigger you like that. In Guyana, people of indian descent are called a "C" word( I think its reason for banning here). I have never taken offense at being called this.

In my humble opinion, making just a big deal over a word actually gives it more power over you.

I admit that not being of your race, I may not completely get how the N word affects you.

pelon 2017-05-08 22:05:24 

In reply to steveo

Slow down, that was a few decades back.

I would not trade a moment of those days. As a mature adult we have a different perspective. Back then I had nothing to lose but teeth (and I have).

I admit that not being of your race, I may not completely get how the N word affects you.

That is skuntish. I promise you, what you just said is the root of the problem society faces... we can't even see the other perspective. A shame.
If as a grown ass man you can't "get how the N word affects you."... then you are part of the problem. How is it hard to understand????? You getting like Devin now.

Steveo, I going for my bed. Think about the man who can't empathize with/understand the plight of his brother.

smile smile

granite 2017-05-09 04:56:14 

In reply to JahJahI think without a doubt,if you say that to an Afro Caribbean man,or Afro American you could be looking for a close to a near death experience.

steveo 2017-05-09 07:57:31 

In reply to granite

In reply to JahJahI think without a doubt,if you say that to an Afro Caribbean man,or Afro American you could be looking for a close to a near death experience.

Dont use violence to solve your problems...wait scratch that...use violence to solve your problems, REAL problems like kicking the ass of all of those real estate brokers that scammed poor folks out of their savings etc, a lot of them were black....

DAVE400 2017-05-09 08:27:59 

This constant referral to oneself as "nig" cannot be healthy to your psyche....intuitively you know this is true...

No over-analysis or pseudo-intellectualism needed.

granite 2017-05-09 12:32:41 

In reply to steveo
Not long ago I heard Jamaicans using the "C" word in quite normal conversation,maybe they are not aware of the true meaning of that word.The word was also used by the racists white South Africans.I recall it being used in Trinidad at school,but not openly as Jamaicans do.

Drapsey 2017-05-09 12:52:08 

In reply to granite

Not long ago I heard Jamaicans using the "C" word in quite normal conversation,maybe they are not aware of the true meaning of that word.The word was also used by the racists white South Africans.I recall it being used in Trinidad at school,but not openly as Jamaicans do.

While it might be considered improper to use the term on the messagebaord, or anywhere outside the confines of Jamaica, the usage of that term is commonplace within the confines of Jamaican.

Growing up knowing that my paternal grandmother was affectionately referred to as Miss "C" (as well as other women bearing her resemblance), I for one was unaware that there were negative connotations associated with the term. That knowledge (or ignorance) lasted until I started making international contacts.

steveo 2017-05-09 13:48:21 

In reply to granite

The usage of the "C" word, for the most part, does not bother people here in Guyana. There are those that are keeping with the trends, have figured that they should be offended by it.

The origin of that word neither is offensive to me. Its a fact that my ancestors were indentured labourers and it was a word used to call them. Dont bother me.

Man people have learnt to be offended by BS and fight for the wrong things. What they should really be fighting for, they dont. I went to a boarding school in guyana and I lived with all races, ate, bathed, slept together. Called each other the "c" word and "n" word in mock abuse, and laughed about it.

I think the people that are really offended by these words do not have the self belief that they are above them and are afraid of the word actually subtracting from their worth somehow.

BeachBum 2017-05-09 16:57:56 

This white guy from Des Moines, Iowa called me a nigger when we were in the military in Ft Benning, Georgia back in 1985. I asked him if it was intended to make me feel bad about myself. And honestly, it has zero affect on me to this day if somebody calls me that. But I'm not black American, and the experience and sentiments are most likely different. I wonder who else here from the Caribbean feels that way.

Drapsey 2017-05-09 17:06:32 

In reply to BeachBum

My experience was slightly different.

Back in the early 80s when I just arrived in the US and working in NYC, a co-worker of mine in an attempt to insult me asked, "How are the water-melons this time of year". Having no idea what he was talking about, I just ignored him and the remark.

It was only years later that it registered. By then we were the best of buddies, a friendship that continues even today.

BeachBum 2017-05-09 17:14:13 

In reply to Drapsey

Some get wiser as they get older.

pelon 2017-05-09 21:53:08 

In reply to BeachBum

I know the Ft Benning... Columbus area well. Stunning to see you mention it.

They did a river walk in downtown Columbus, and a world class whitewater rafting facility in the river. Columbus has changed a lot since the 80s... visit soon again.

Some get wiser as they get older.

I needed to get MUCH older ....

redface redface redface

BeachBum 2017-05-10 16:00:08 

In reply to pelon

I didn't get a chance to see Columbus. Everything about me was green for 9 weeks. The only water I saw were swamps we played war games in.