The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Win Toss & Bat....

Emir 2017-05-10 20:41:37 

Misbah and Co must be very happy to escape batting last. Pak has a well documented history of crumbling badly on the last day- stretching back many years now.

I am curious why Jason and his "coaches" inserted the opposition. It cannot be because of overcast conditions as there will be daily overcast conditions, every day of this match.

Now, our boys must face Yasir on day 5. Not good.

Narper 2017-05-10 21:13:17 

In reply to Emir

"There seems to be some moisture in the pitch. It may spin but might not deteriorate badly," Holder says. "There is a chance for us to come and win again. I have spoken about consistency a lot."

Misbah said if he won the toss he would have sent WI into bat
"I think we would have bowled first, looking at the pitch and the overcast conditions," Misbah says.

Link

Emir 2017-05-10 21:47:35 

In reply to Narper

Jason got it wrong then. The pitch will get progressively bad each passing day.

Logic 2017-05-10 23:12:56 

In reply to Narper

Too bad Misbah did not win toss then. Batting last on our wickets is bare folly. Maybe the Waugh Law should be codified in management rules...Win Toss - Bat First.

As to the "overcast conditions" I would really like Hilary to get some young UWI scientists to assess the impact of ball movement in Caribbean atmospheres. We seem conditioned to believe that it gives bowlers the same prodigious advantage it does in the drier air of say England. I have not seen it yet. What I have seen is that our pitches don't last close to 5 days and when you add that to the psychological pressure of batting last to save or win a game ...madness.

methodic 2017-05-11 02:38:27 

In reply to Logic

another fact is that we don't have great new ball bowlers. None of our bowlers are magnificent with the first new ball. At best we are steady but not very penetrative. We always bowl better on the 2nd go round. Meaning our bowlers more fight back than get ahead.

Emir 2017-05-11 06:16:02 

In reply to methodic

Our bowlers are getting better, but point well take- hoping to take advantage of early first day moisture while ignoring the perils of batting last against Yasir is foolish.

WICFan 2017-05-11 07:01:12 

If you bat first and can see out the first hour or so in overcast conditions then then game will turn in your favour, Pakistan have put a decent score on the board for a curtailed first day of play.

Holder has made a mistake.

camos 2017-05-11 07:59:24 

the thinking was that Pakistan is scared after the 80+ at Bim!

Emir 2017-05-11 21:39:13 

In reply to camos

Not a good reason, this is a big score considering we will bat last.