The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Big Crowd at Lara Stadium opening

Voyager 2017-05-13 08:20:12 

Instagram Link

granite 2017-05-13 08:42:40 

In reply to Voyager
I don't have a clue where Toruba is situated,if I am correct,is it before Marabella.I was born in San Fernando,but was too young to remember those places.It really does look beautiful and can host Test matches,2 test venues in a small country,not bad,but millions have been wasted on that project.In TT it's like,if yuh have money is awrite to waste it.

Ray123 2017-05-13 08:48:28 

In reply to Voyager

Well done, lovely ground. Hope it produces some good players for the Windies big grin

Voyager 2017-05-13 08:49:03 

It sure is!

Narper 2017-05-13 10:58:55 

Protest over Lara stadium opening*
...’It got priority over children’s hospital’

Protesters armed with placards stood on the highway shoulder near the Couva Children’s Hospital yesterday afternoon, demonstrating against Government’s decision to fund the completion of the Brian Lara Cricket Academy but leaving the hospital closed.

The United National Congress (UNC) supporters, among them MP Prakash Ramadhar and local government councillors, staged the protest on the south-bound lane of the Solomon Hochoy Highway near the Indian Trail overpass.

The protest caused a massive traffic pile-up, which was already bad as result of the afternoon rainfall, with vehicles backing up all the way to Chaguanas.

Some of those caught in the traffic were trying to get to the Brian Lara Stadium.

They protest group planned to placard in Tarouba also, where the opening featured an exhibition T20 match between a Brian Lara XI and an International XI led by former Sri Lanka World Cup-winning captain Arjuna Ranatung.

link

Narper 2017-05-13 11:07:21 

Lara, speaking at the opening of the venue named after him, expressed his gratitude to the thousands of fans who braved the weather and heavy traffic to be there. “I don’t think the authorities understand the important part you play in sport. Without you there is no sport and I thank you very much for being here tonight,” he said.

The batting legend said, “I have this picture in my head where parents are parked up waiting for their kids — boys or girls — to exit this Academy. I’m seeing myself as one of them; I might not be parked up, I may have a little more access than you do, but I have this picture and I hope that that comes to fruition.” Lara thanked his friends who featured in last night’s exhibition game and is hoping the venue will host international games in the future.