The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Are there any Dominicans

Priapus 2017-05-13 15:34:07 

in the WI team? Looks like a bigger crowd than what was at Sabina Park.

Drapsey 2017-05-13 15:35:59 

In reply to Priapus

Are there any Dominicans

link Priapus5/13/17 3:34:07 PM
in the WI team?

No, there were no candidates.

Priapus 2017-05-13 15:38:47 

In reply to Drapsey
Hmmmmm.....so what explains the bigger crowd from a population of approximately 60,000 compared to 2.7 million?

jacksprat 2017-05-13 15:41:39 

Sabina Park was empty not because there were no Jamaican in the team but because test cricket has largely lost its appeal, and the people thought there were better ways to spend their time.

In any case, as long as the team is picked on merit, and the team is doing well, Jamaicans tend to support the West Indies team without regard to the passports the players hold.

History tends to support this notion: In 1968 versus England, and in 1977 versus Pakistan, there was nary a Jamaican in the West Indies team, yet Sabina Park was packed each day for the duration of the games.

Priapus 2017-05-13 15:45:25 

In reply to jacksprat

Thanks for your input. Yeah I've read on this MB that Athletics, Football, and T20 cricket in that order are the sports that interests Jamaicans nowadays.

Drapsey 2017-05-13 15:46:20 

In reply to Priapus

Hmmmmm.....so what explains the bigger crowd from a population of approximately 60,000 compared to 2.7 million?

We can't conveniently limit the population to 60,000. The main justification for the proliferation of (official) cricket venues over the smaller islands/territories was their proximity to each other and the afforded easy travel access.

On the other (un-maid) point, Jamaicans justifiably stayed away from Sabina Park as protest against the unfair selection policy executed by Brung's chaired selection panel.

Priapus 2017-05-13 15:51:42 

In reply to Drapsey
So are you saying that had Blackwood or the Icon been playing in the 1st test that Jamaicans would have flocked to Sabina Park?

Drapsey 2017-05-13 15:57:05 

In reply to Priapus

So are you saying that had Blackwood or the Icon been playing in the 1st test that Jamaicans would have flocked to Sabina Park?

You could twist your questioning any way you want, the answer remains the same.

There was no practical reason for Blackwood to be omitted from the Sabina Park test (foresight or hindsight). Jamaicans rightfully responded.

powen001 2017-05-13 15:57:17 

In reply to Priapus

Perhaps better marketing...

Perhaps Dominicans are appreciative of somewhere to go and perhaps they appreciate the West Indies Team and jut perhaps that victory in Barbados helped to encourage them.

My opinion is that the lads are actually fighting and not just to compete but to win- THAT will get fans out EVERYTIME!

jacksprat 2017-05-13 15:58:29 

In reply to Priapus

Football is the number sport in Jamaica, and has been for a long time, followed by track & field, T20 cricket and netball, in no particular order.

Priapus 2017-05-13 16:02:35 

In reply to powen001
OK. Well I suppose Jamaicans have many options in places to go or things to do than attending a test match.
But also the teams were 0-0 as this was the 1st game of the series.

Priapus 2017-05-13 16:03:38 

In reply to jacksprat

Even when WI was dominating in the 80s and early 90s?

Priapus 2017-05-13 16:08:42 

In reply to Drapsey

So I take it that you are guaranteeing that there will be bigger crowds when next a test match is played in Jamaica..........

As long as there is at least one Jamaican in the final/playing 11.

jacksprat 2017-05-13 16:14:13 

In reply to Priapus

Yes! Even when West Indies were #1 in test & ODI cricket football was still the #1 sports in Jamaica

I judge the popularity of a sport not by what is happening at the elite level but what is happening at the grassroots as both a spectator sport and a participatory sport.

Slipfeeler 2017-05-13 16:22:31 

In reply to Priapus

Now the order of sports preference in JA is as follows: Football; Track and Field; Basketball; and Cricket, a distant 4th. In fact, there have just introduced American Football into J'can High Schools to generate interest in the sport and opportunities for University/College scholarships and possible NFL contracts. So American football might soon also eclipse cricket. There is declining interest in cricket in JA, so it is not helping the sport in JA when the WICB omitted J'cans from the playing team.

Priapus 2017-05-13 16:27:21 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Thanks. With their athleticism I can see Jamaican kids doing well in college football in the USA particularly as WRs,RBs and DBs.

Priapus 2017-05-13 16:31:21 

In reply to jacksprat

I judge the popularity of a sport not by what is happening at the elite level but what is happening at the grassroots as both a spectator sport and a participatory sport.

I tend to agree with these sentiments but I also think that success in terms of fame and fortune at the elite level is also a contributing factor in attracting people to a sport.

voiceofreason 2017-05-13 18:06:41 

In reply to Priapus
Dominicans love their cricket and being a new test cricket venue they will support this team unconditionally. Well done to the Dominican crowd but by the looks of it this game could go only two ways: A Pakistan win or a draw.

Maispwi 2017-05-13 23:25:43 

In reply to Drapsey

We can't conveniently limit the population to 60,000. The main justification for the proliferation of (official) cricket venues over the smaller islands/territories was their proximity to each other and the afforded easy travel access.

Man you does chat a bag ah $hite sometimes. Have you ever tried to get to Dominica from one of those close proximity islands? And with prices ranging from US$350 from Antigua - $400 from St. Vincent, how many people you think will travel to watch a game there?

imusic 2017-05-14 08:29:55 

What else it have to do for recreation in Dominica?

Priapus 2017-05-14 09:34:40 

In reply to imusic

What else it have to do for recreation in Dominica?

See my earlier post about perhaps there being many more options for Jamaicans.

But out of curiosity, are you saying that there is nothing else to do in Dominica other than attending a cricket match?

Come in Commie.