The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Windies against the ropes as Pakistan chase history on final day

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-05-14 06:08:37 

ROSEAU, Dominica, CMC – Fourteen wickets tumbled as a contest which ambled lazily for the first three days suddenly sprung to life on the fourth, leaving West Indies with the ominous task of surviving Sunday’s final day to deny Pakistan an historic series win in the Caribbean.
On a topsy-turvy day of the decisive third Test at Windsor Park, West Indies were bowled out in their first innings for 247, as the outstanding rookie seamer Mohammad Abbas claimed his maiden five-wicket haul in Tests with five for 46.
Armed with a lead of 129, Pakistan slumped to 90 for seven in their second innings as West Indies wrested control before the visitors rebounded to declare on 174 for eight.
Set an improbable 304 to win on a turning pitch, West Indies ended on seven for one, still requiring a further 297 runs of their target.
They casualty was left-hander Kieran Powell (4) who pushed forward uncertainly to the third last ball of the day from leg-spinner Yasir Shah, for Shan Masood at silly point to come up with a brilliant low one-handed catch.

Full Story

jacksprat 2017-05-14 10:00:54 

At the start of his presidency, WICB head honcho, Dave Cameron, said his tenure should be judged by results on the field.

If West Indies lose a home test series against Pakistan for the first time in history, as now seems inevitable, will he and the WICB take responsibility, or will they continue to blame the players, as they usually do?

XDFIX 2017-05-14 11:30:07 

In reply to jacksprat

The selectors should be held accountable!

That said, ultimately it's the players call to win or lose

jacksprat 2017-05-14 11:53:23 

And what if the players are ill-equipped to put up a real fight?

Who is responsible for destroying an already weak team -"we don't need any stars; We were losing with them anyway"- and sending out sub-standard players and expecting them to do the job that the better players were already struggling to do?

The WICB sets its wrong-headed policies which the selectors, mere functionaries, are tasked with carrying out.

Who is going to hold Cameron and the WICB accountable?

sandisha 2017-05-14 18:54:55 

Selectors and no one else should take the blame for this series defeat. I always thought it was a mistake to let Pakistan bat first after we won the toss but I forgive Holder because he was deceived by the condition and, having bold Pakistan out in the last inning of the Barbados test for less than a 100, why not put their batters under some pressure. But for the crucial last test Blackwood should have played instead of Mohamed, who never looked comfortable against pace, and Rahkeem Cornwall should have replaced Bishoo, as a genuine all rounder, who keeps taking a lot of wickets, whether in our domestic competition or when he is on tour with West Indies A.

sandisha 2017-05-14 19:02:28 

Our biggest disappointment with the bat was that of K. Brathwaite. Not only did he not get runs, but the manner he got out almost every time. He constantly went after balls he had no business playing and once again, I must blame our selectors for that because it was clear that he was not sure if he was batting in an ODI or test, which was the problem I could foresee coming the moment he was added into the OBI squad.

openning 2017-05-14 19:35:03 

In reply to sandisha

I am one of the biggest KB fans on this MB, but he cannot continue to let the bowlers dominate, when he is batting
That SR has to improve, if he is going to be successful at the International level

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-05-14 20:42:38 

In reply to openning

Strike rate had nothing to do with his becoming successful? Misbah batted 51 balls for 1 run and he's a successful international batsman

Kraigg has to get back to scoring runs....at whatever rate.