The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Some Scientists Believe They Have Proof Of God

deanjones 2017-05-14 14:54:56 

Interesting read in Newsweek

In 1960 the Princeton physicist – and subsequent Nobel Prize winner – Eugene Wigner raised a fundamental question: Why did the natural world always – so far as we know – obey laws of mathematics?

DAVE400 2017-05-15 10:50:13 

In reply to deanjones

thanks for that...I have always found the contemporaneous rise of religion in such wide geographic locations interesting.

In the Axial Age (commonly dated from 800 to 200 B.C.), world-transforming ideas such as Buddhism, Confucianism, the philosophies of Plato and Aristotle, and the Hebrew Old Testament almost miraculously appeared at about the same time in India, China, ancient Greece and among the Jews in the Middle East, groups having little interaction with one another.

DAVE400 2017-05-15 10:52:56 

Now, I believe in God but I don't really believe in its willful acts in my destiny. I also do not believe too much in personification of God. I do think God is a life force...or the entire universe itself...

Ponder this...

There are trillions of micoro-organisms living in our body right now..I don't know their conciousness level..I do know a huge portion of them die when I die..."some will survive" and move on....but stay with the analogy...

To these micro-organism, by body is their cosmos and I am their God.

DAVE400 2017-05-15 10:53:21 

extrapolate that analogy to you and this universe we occupy...

nick2020 2017-05-15 10:53:44 

In reply to DAVE400

Far too often the layman confuses the concept of creation by a greater being with religion.

Religion is a man made device that is culturally specific but there is no coincidence that the concept of God exists in all civilizations.

nick2020 2017-05-15 10:55:25 

In reply to DAVE400

To these micro-organism, by body is their cosmos and I am their God.

Agreed. For all we know we are the building block of something much greater.

pelon 2017-05-15 13:37:49 

In reply to nick2020

Religion is a man made device that is culturally specific but there is no coincidence that the concept of God in all civilizations.

Perfect EXCEPT at the end: concept of God.

"Religion is a man made device that is culturally specific but there is no coincidence that the concept of the supernatural exists in all civilizations. "

Many civilizations have had plural gods or worship the sun as god or have no god figure at all... but.... MOST importantly the Crusades made religion into what you call "universal". Before that, check how the Aztec worshiped. It did not resemble anything like a singular "God".

your use of the word civilizations really is "modern civilizations"

Historical/long removed civilizations had completely unique interpretations on spirituality.

Civilization is moving into the POST supernatural era.

nick2020 2017-05-15 13:45:42 

In reply to pelon

Define "God".

pelon 2017-05-15 14:08:41 

In reply to nick2020

impossible. only want you to acknowledge that "god", "gods" and "God" differ by your christian prism of "God the singular" as creator.

Very few civilizations had this concept ok. If anything, it is the plural that was more common in civilizations.

Had you said "gods" (plural in lowercase) you would have an airtight case. Using "God" is playing from a stacked deck, and reveals bias.

deanjones 2017-05-15 15:31:05 

In reply to pelon

Forget about the singular or plural concept of God. The article is saying there is something there bigger than us.

pelon 2017-05-15 16:19:10 

In reply to deanjones

And it went bang.
My chat with Nick is to show that most civilizations had no concept of a singular god, only Christian civilizations.

A point that will not distance itself from the fact that any scientific material of a singular "god" is well... unscientific and patently biased

DukeStreet 2017-05-15 16:20:32 

In reply to deanjones
After reading the article 10 times, it is clear they are still in the theoretical aspect of discovery.

nick2020 2017-05-15 20:37:32 

In reply to pelon

God = creating force.

Cultures put a face on God that makes it identifiable. Personal. We created God in our image.

But if one believes the entire universe was empty and everything came from a big bang then that big bang is God. See there is no argument that we were "brought into existence" i.e. created. The problem is once you use the C word people start to think religion.