The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Still no timetable for Bravo?s return

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-05-23 06:54:06 

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – With the critical tour of England looming, chief selector Courtney Browne has said there is still no timetable for Darren Bravo’s return to the West Indies side.
In fact, Browne told the Massy United Insurance Line and Length TV show that the responsibility was now on the 28-year Trinidadian to indicate his availability, with a solution to the impasse already on the table.
“I’m not sure (when he will be available for selection again), as I have said many times,” Browne said.
“There was some agreement between both parties (the West Indies Cricket Board and Bravo) but I think the ball really is in Darren’s court now to determine that (availability).”
Bravo and the WICB have been locked in an impasse ever since the player was sent home ahead of the Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe last November for a controversial tweet in which he labelled WICB president Dave Cameron “a big idiot”.
Last month, newly-appointed WICB chief executive Johnny Grave said a deal had been struck with Bravo’s representatives but that move stalled because of legal action the player initiated against the board.

Full Story

SirGarny 2017-05-23 13:03:37 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Browne is in no hurry for Bravo to return to the test side....for obvious reasons that have to do with the color of the national flag. wink wink

Ray123 2017-05-23 16:50:20 

In reply to SirGarny

Nonsense.

Browne did not put Bravo out of the team. Bravo did that himself. Those advising Bravo should see that this is only hurting his career and we need our best young batsman back asap.

Cleg 2017-05-23 18:00:20 

In reply to Ray123

we need our best young batsman back asap.

Try telling that to the BI aka triple D...Dodgy Digi Dave!! twisted

mittheimp 2017-05-24 01:53:22 

In reply to SirGarny

stupid comment

Pacy 2017-05-24 03:36:51 

In reply to Ray123

Those advising Bravo should see that this is only hurting his career and we need our best young batsman back asap.

If it is only hurting his career why should anyone else bother? Afterall it is his decision on his career.

Problem is that he is the best of the young lot we have and his absence also would impact WI cricket, even if the impact is minimal. Now the question even if it hurts WI cricket to a small degree, as administrators what are they doing to resolve it?

My Sugession for Bravo is to do well in CPL and create an image for himself in T20 cricket and try getting a Kolpak for him with his help of his brother, Pollard, Gayle or his friends in UK. Get settled. WI cricket is too unpreditable for anyone to depend on it.

mikesiva 2017-05-24 06:18:55 

In reply to Pacy

Lil Bravo might not have played much for Gujarat Lions, but his contract was worth 50 lakh, which I think is about US$70,000. His contract with Trinbago Knight Riders in the CPL is also US$70,000, I think.

So his career doesn't seem to be hurting too much right now....

Ray123 2017-05-24 11:37:03 

[b]In reply to Pacy[/b

You just answered your own question mate. By being away from Test cricket he hurts his career and Windies cricket so that's why they should care. When i say career I don't mean how much money he makes, I meant his Legacy. He's in the prime of his career and for him to miss out would be a travesty. This is the time now when he should be hungry for big scores to improve his average if he wants to be up there with the best. I believe he has the potential to be a great player for us.

My advice to you Mr. Bravo, don't go chasing after quick T20 money and destroy your Test legacy. Apologize. Give yourself an opportunity to see how far you can go. Money will come.

POINT 2017-05-24 15:40:19 

There is absolutely no doubt that what
Cameron stated incensed Bravo to the point where he called Cameron a Big
Idiot .

It is very likely that had Cameron correctly stated the level of Contract , Bravo had this incident would not have taken place .

My take continues to be that this incident occurred because Cameron was factually incorrect when he stated that Bravo had an A Contract .

CAMERON IN HIS CAPACITY AS THE

PRESIDENT OF THE WICBC , NEEDED TO BE

FACTUALLY CORRECT REGARDING THE LEVEL

OF CONTRACT BRAVO HAD , SINCE HE WAS

SPEAKING ABOUT BRAVO . THAT IN MY

OPINION WAS CRASS CARELESSNESS .

I would readily agree as I have stated here several times that Bravo
was also at fault for calling Cameron
a Big Idiot .

My disgust is that everyone is critical of Bravo , while giving Cameron a Free Pass , despite the fact that Cameron statement to put it mildly was very Sloppy .

Now if Cameron was accurate regarding
the level of Contract Bravo had , then I would have been the first in line to be critical of Bravo . But that aint the case .

THEY BOTH NEED TO APOLOGISE TO EACH

OTHER IN MY OPINION , AND LET THE

MATTER REST . THE PROBLEM IS THAT I

DOUBT THAT" MIMIC MAN " CAMERON WILL

EVER APOLOGISE .

Those in the WICBC mistakenly believe
that they have absolutely no cause to
apologise to any of their Employees .
They relish running Cricket in the Region in the same manner as those who formed the WICBC in 1928 ; and were of a different Pigmentation .

That is precisely why I call them the Mimic Men . THEY STILL BELIEVE THAT
THEY ARE LIVING IN THE 20TH. CENTURY .It is likely that this matter is going to go to the Court , and perhaps the People in the WICBC will
learn the hard way , that WE are living in the 21st Century .

IT AINT BRAVO ALONE WHO IS GUILTY IN

THIS ASININE MATTER .

Baje 2017-05-24 16:22:10 

It is interesting. We have had two great recent bats. Lara and Shiv. We did not win much with these greats, but they saved a lot of embarrassment. Yet when they were scoring heavily folks were trying to get rid of "the cancer" lara and Selfishpaul.
Now we have Lil Bravo performing at a mediocre level for past two years. Not rated by ICC, yet some folks see him as a savior.
He deserves a spot on the team,a path has been laid, but I guess his legal team has a different objective.

buds 2017-05-24 20:33:21 

Stay home Bravo..WI on a positive path now..No indigent, insolent and crass Ass-hole on team.
Good riddance. cool

tc1 2017-05-24 22:54:39 

In reply to SirGarny

are you that simple, the problem is not between Jamaican Dave and tit Bravo

Pacy 2017-05-25 02:45:19 

In reply to mikesiva

He is not hurting much now, but I believe with his talent he can make a lot more than what he does now if he can try for it. Afterall why stop here when you can earn more smile

Pacy 2017-05-25 02:45:20 

Repost :

Pacy 2017-05-25 02:47:43 

In reply to Ray123

My advice to you Mr. Bravo, don't go chasing after quick T20 money and destroy your Test legacy. Apologize. Give yourself an opportunity to see how far you can go. Money will come.

Legacy and all is good but as a Individual I would not want it at the expense of compromising self.

I would say he could have approached the issue differently, but still the way he was treated before and after the incident shows that he is not respected in the WI administrative set up for some reason. Why go where you are not wanted?

doublecentury 2017-05-25 06:58:10 

In reply to buds

Your description fits Cameron.

But anyone who supports West Indies cricket must understand the need for discipline and due process.Bravo did not ban himself for life did he?

Bravo reacted with an intemperate tweet to some crass ill informed public comments by Dave Cameron. Was this appropriate by Cameron? Did wicb call him out ? No.

Did Bravo breach his contract? Was he subjected to a disciplinary process?what was the result of that process? Was he banned as punishment? For how many games?

I suspect some of you do not understand what I am saying about due process...you believe the wicb president can simply tell Browne not to consider a player indefinitely. Well that's how it is now .and that is just one symptom of what is wrong in West Indies cricket.

It is certainly not up to Bravo to call a disciplinary hearing, or pick himself.

Kay 2017-05-25 11:16:58 

In reply to mikesiva

You really think it's all about money why players want to wear their nations caps at the highest level? Try pride, self worth and personal satisfaction of achieving that goal.

POINT 2017-05-27 18:31:52 

I am amazed that most people in this Forum find it exceedingly difficult to
conclude that Cameron was the instigator of this Mess when he stated
that Bravo possessed an A level Contract ; when that was to put it mildly Untrue .

Why the Hell is it so difficult for
Cameron to publicly state that he
made a mistake regarding what level Contract Bravo had .

DOES ANYONE DISPUTE THE FACT THAT THE

ONUS WAS & IS ON CAMERON TO BE

TRUTHFUL REGARDING WHAT LEVEL

CONTRACT BRAVO HAD .

Before making any statement , Cameron
needed to ensure that his statement
was accurate . The fact that HE did not know , reflects to him being not
only a careless Person . It aptly demonstrates the Chasm that exists
between the Worst International Cricket Board in the Commonwealth and
its Employees .

johndom90 2017-05-27 18:33:23 

It seems that yet another corner has been turned.........as per resident griots....

POINT 2017-05-27 20:46:28 

In reply to doublecentury

It is quite evident that your knowledge of DUE PROCESS is exceedingly Shallow .

Due Process , as far as I am aware , and I have not heard that it has changed ; means that Bravo should have had an opportunity , to explain himself in a Disciplinary Committee Hearing before being punished .

I do not recall that happened . My take is that Bravo's Legal Representative , believes that HE has
a Good Case against the WICBC .

So he as told Bravo to be silent regarding this matter . Obviously in due course WE shall learn more about
this matter .

I believe that if Bravo's Lawyer thought that Bravo had no Case , he would have told Bravo to apologise .
But it seems that Bravo's Lawyer believes that he has good case against Cameron & the WICBC .

Most people in this Forum only want
Bravo to apologise . They apparently
are of the opinion that Cameron & the
WICBC have no case to Answer . Time will tell who was Right & who was Wrong .

openning 2017-05-27 21:10:44 

In reply to POINT

Point, why don't you take time to read doublecentury post.
All he is talking about is due process.
I for one think Bravo should had not been sent home, but should by the manager of the touring team.
Bravo should had been brought to the discipline committee, which should fine/suspend him for breached of contract

POINT 2017-05-28 17:51:39 

In reply to openning

You like others have missed the essential point so let it state it
for You :

THE ONUS WAS ON CAMERON IN HIS

CAPACITY OF BEING THE PRESIDENT OF

THE WICBC TO BE FACTUALLY CORRECT

BEFORE MAKING HIS STATEMENT .

Now there aint no way that ANYONE can
dispute this fact . Frankly Cameron was Careless & Sloppy because :

HE APPARENT DID NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT

LEVEL CONTRACT BRAVO HAD .

This is why in my opinion this matter
in the Court . It is very likely that
the WICBC will not only lose but have
to pay for the Crass behaviour of its
President .

I am in bewilderment because of the fact that many here refuse to comprehend the fact that this whole
episode was instigated by Cameron ;
Wittingly or Unwittingly .

buds 2017-05-29 11:56:13 

Cameron made a honest mistake but Bravo brought the mistake into the swamp..No excuse for the tweet.

Baje 2017-05-29 13:21:35 

In reply to buds
Not sure why some folks are equating Dave and Bravos comments. Dave's comments were not insulting or demeaning, he just displayed ignorance.
Bravos comments were insulting, no matter who they were directed towards.When it is your boss..and for the whole world to see....

POINT 2017-05-29 13:36:53 

In reply to buds

Surely you JEST , if as you stated
Cameron made an honest mistake , then
Bravo also made an honest mistake .

THE ONUS THEN WAS ON CAMERON TO

APOLOGISE FOR HIS HONEST MISTAKE .

ONCE THAT IS DONE ; THEN BRAVO SHOULD

APOLOGISE FOR CALLING CAMERON A BIG

IDIOT .

For your benefit let me state this
fact ; that cannot ever be denied .

ANY DECENT PRESIDENT OF AN ENTITY

PRIOR TO MAKING A PUBLIC STATEMENT

NEEDS TO ASCERTAIN THAT WHATEVER HE/

SHE IS STATING IS FACTUAL .

Obviously Emperor Cameron did not do
that ; and as a result his ERROR caused Bravo in anger ,to label him as being a BIG IDIOT .

Bravo & his Lawyer can justifiable
claim that Cameron should have know what Level Contract Bravo had . Especially since Cameron is the President of the WICBC .

it aint that Cameron was new to the Job , so there can be no excuse for him being incorrect in his Statement . This matter is before the Court , and my belief is that Cameron & the
WICBC are going to be found Guilty .

BeatDball 2017-05-29 13:50:57 

In reply to buds Shoitz! Ouch! But, u may have a point!

POINT 2017-05-29 14:33:31 

In reply to Baje

IGNORANCE IS A FREAKING CURSE

My take is that the fact that Cameron , to use your word ; Ignorant of what
level Contract Bravo is inexcusable .

Because there were means & ways that
Cameron should have & could have learned precisely what level Contract
Bravo had .

Frankly Cameron had absolutely no excuse for being Ignorant of the level of Contract Bravo had . My take
is that his ignorance reflects badly not only on him but also the WICBC .

Now if Cameron had stated what he said in a Private conversation , then
probably could be excused , however
this statement was made Publicly .

I am of the opinion that Cameron & the WICBC are going to pay for his ignorance . BTW , Bravo's statement
did not come out of the Blue or thin air .

IT WAS A RETORT TO THE FACT THAT

CAMERON WAS FACTUALLY INCORRECT , TO

PUT IT MILDLY IN HIS STATEMENT

REGARDING THE LEVEL OF CONTRACT BRAVO

HAD .

It is interesting that People are ready to give Cameron a Pass , while
demanding that Bravo apologise . No
doubt Bravo & his lawyer are going to claim that as the President of the
WICBC , Cameron was the Instigator of
this Mess , by incorrectly stating that Bravo had an A level Contract ,
when the TRUTH is that he never had an A- Level Contract .

doublecentury 2017-05-29 22:08:40 

In reply to POINT

Did you actually read my post? Because you didn't understand it? My knowledge is not shallow but perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough to you.

Pacy 2017-05-30 01:38:49 

In reply to buds

Cameron made a honest mistake

How do you know it is a honest mistake? Why should a player not feel that his contribution is demeaned?

While the Twitter rage is not right approach, this justification of leadership mess with sugar coated words and super critical of the players is really not the right way to handle.

You have only 2-3 players who get a A grade in WI Cricket as a whole and you dont know them ? On top of it he is justifying giving C grade to one of the best in the current lot.

POINT 2017-05-30 09:27:46 

Please accept My Apologies to you , on reread what you stated , I concede that I was in error .

POINT 2017-05-30 09:37:02 

In reply to Pacy

Your assessment in my opinion is absolutely correct . As I have stated
in this Forum from Day One . The fact
that Cameron was ignorant regarding what level Contract Bravo had speaks
volumes .

The onus was on Cameron as the President of the WICBC to know what
level Contract Bravo had before making a Public Statement regarding Bravo's Contract .

Now it is quite possible that Bravo's
Lawyer can claim in Court that Cameron remark wittingly or unwittingly caused Bravo , his Client
to call Cameron a Big Idiot .