The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jamaica national T&F trials

mikesiva 2017-06-22 05:26:15 

'Jamaica's Olympic 100m and 200m sprint champion Elaine Thompson will not attempt the double at the London World Championships after she was entered for only the 100m at the National Senior Championships which begins today inside the National Stadium....Then there are the niggling injuries that rule out quarter-milers Javon Francis and Christopher Taylor, but there is much to savour with the likes of Demish Gaye, Nathon Allen, Akeem Bloomfield, Fitzroy Dunkley and Stephen Gayle in the 400m. However, despite suffering back spasms, schoolboy Taylor will run the 200m at the Junior Championships. Taylor, who turns 18 years old in October, is not eligible for the IAAF World Under-18 Championships in Kenya next month, so his focus will be to make the team to the Pan American Under-20 Championships.'

Bolt takes a bye and won't compete

mikesiva 2017-06-23 02:08:27 

Veronica Campbell brown didn't turn up for her 100m heat.

Kemar Bailey Cole pulled up injured in his heat.

More here

Multiple World Championships and Olympic Games medallist, Veronica Campbell-Brown, has withdrawn from the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) National Senior Championships following her failure to show up for the first round of the women's 100m on today's first day of the four-day event at the National Stadium.

Claude Bryan, her longtime agent, told OBSERVER ONLINE that “discomfort in her right knee” was the issue and confirmed that she will not participate in the remainder of the championships, which was organised to select the team for the IAAF World Championships in London later this year.

Campbell-Brown is the third fastest woman over 100m in the world so far this year after running 10.84 seconds at a meet in Montverde, Florida on June 10 and appeared set to qualify for her sixth World Championships.

Campbell-Brown is not the only casualty on the first day as Commonwealth Games champion Kemar Bailey-Cole pulled up injured in his first round 100m race while Kerron Stewart also failed to show up at the start of her 100m race.

The end of a great career?

mikesiva 2017-06-24 04:58:26 

Women's 100m final

Elaine Thompson 10.71
Simone Facey 11.04
Jura Levy 11.06

Men's 100m
Yohan Blake 9.90
Julian forte 10.04
Givans 10.05

rudebway 2017-06-24 10:59:14 

In reply to mikesiva

Quite a few injuries...Asofta, Minzie, kBc. But the one I really feel bad for is Odean Skeen. I think he had a good chance to get 2nd or third...he pulled out of two NCAA finals recently, so I was hoping he would be ok.

RoyalDad 2017-06-24 11:38:34 

In reply to rudebway

Skeen looks like he is ready to make the jump to the next level. Feel bad for him also.

Headley 2017-06-24 12:07:18 

In reply to RoyalDad

The race was Mowatt vs. Hyde in the 400mh.

Three men below 49 secs. First time in Ja.

I was about to leave the stadium and repay to enter after that race! Luckily my brethren restrained me. big grin big grin big grin

The men's and women's 400m should be fireworks.

RoyalDad 2017-06-24 17:56:05 

In reply to Headley

Very good race indeed. Have some youngsters to compete with the Americans.

Your thoughts on that DQ of J Smith. Terrible decision. The US is just letting their athletes run regardless of twitching in the blocks. IAAF already have a knife and dagger in the athletes back with automatic DQ, so why do their job for them.? Smith should have been allowed to run. She must be devastated.

All three US women's runners ran under 50 seconds. We need to be close to that.

Kerley ran 44.03.

rudebway 2017-06-24 21:54:51 

In reply to RoyalDad

Joneill Smiths DQ was a BS decision. She should have been given a chance to run.

that hurdles final was awesome...McLeod looks great...new nation record. dejour Russell from Calabar finished 4th... wow. Rasheed Dywer also looked good in the 200 Semis. Weir seems to be training again, and getting into form.

Chrissan Gordon and Sherika will finish one two. Really glad to see Gordon doing well. She was a phenome when she just started at Holmwood, but then never progressed. She looks good now. Novelene is a fighter and will beat Day and steph Mcpherson. McPherson doesn't seem to have the strength endurance.

mikesiva 2017-06-25 04:48:51 

In reply to Headley

Ronda Whyte, who has been running well from the emerging Sprintec camp, captured the women's 400m hurdles in a personal best of 54.29secs, which makes her the sixth fastest in the world this year.

“I am so happy that I pulled through. I feel really great because last year I was injured and coming back now…I am feeling overwhelmed,” said Whyte.

The favourite and fast-starting Janieve Russell of MVP faded in fourth in 55.34secs. Ristananna Tracey was second in 54.49secs and Leah Nugent was third in 54.54secs and once again booked her spot to London.

Then with fans still savouring the upset in the women's event, two athletes who renewed their rivalry from Champs — Jaheel Hyde and Kemar Mowatt —brought the house down with a stirring duel to the finish line in the men's equivalent.

Hyde, who has won everything in front of him at the junior level, had to dig deep to hold off Mowatt to the line. Both were timed in 48.53secs. Veteran Ricardo Cunningham was third in a personal best of 48.83secs. The many times 800m national champion, who will be 37 years old in October, made the switch last year and has booked his spot to London.

A good women's discus too

Women's 400m hurdles final

That was a fantastic finish by Rhonda Whyte!

Men's 400m hurdles final

mikesiva 2017-06-25 04:52:42 

In reply to rudebway

Fresh from retaining his 100 metre title at the National Trials last night, Yohan Blake returned this morning as the quickest of the 24 qualifiers from the preliminaries in the men's 200m, clocking 20.53 (1.0 mps).

Blake, running in heat two, won ahead of his Racers' teammate Kenroy Anderson -- 20.59, with Michael Campbell who was fourth in the 100m final, third, with 20.74.

The 2012 Olympic bronze medallist, Warren Weir, also advanced after placing second in heat one in 20.72 (0.9). Romario Williams of GC Foster won in 20.66.

Following his disappointment in the 100m, Nickel Ashmeade looked comfortable in winning heat four in 20.67 (-0.1) ahead of Mario Forsythe of Akan with 20.92.

The 2014 Commonwealth Games 200m champion Rasheed Dwyer of Sprintec, captured heat three in 20.80 (0.1) ahead of Chadic Hinds of GC Foster with 20.91.

MVP's Julian Forte took things easy making sure he qualified for the semis finishing third in heat five with 21.25 (0.1). The race was won by Chad Walker of Utech in 20.90.

Men's 200m

mikesiva 2017-06-25 05:04:45 

In reply to RoyalDad

Rio Olympics champion Omar McLeod broke the 110m hurdles national record with a fantastic 12.90secs (+0.7 mps) and brought the house down on the third and penultimate day of the Puma National Senior Championships inside the National Stadium last night.

McLeod showed tremendous speed and composure over the 10 hurdles to lower Hansle Parchment's three-year-old record of 12.94secs and was just outside the world record of 12.80 held by American Aries Merritt since 2012.

McLeod, who swept gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics in 13.05secs, now has the four fastest times in the world this year — 12.90, 13.01, 13.04 and 13.09. The former Manchester High, Kingston College and University of Arkansas student is now the fifth fastest over the 110m hurdles in history.

Only world record holder Merritt (12.80), Dayron Robles of Cuba (12.87), Chinese Liu Xiang (12.8cool and American David Oliver (12.89) have gone faster than McLeod.

“God is good. It was a great race. Coach (Edrick Floreal) wanted 12.8, so I know he is going to be pissed, you can never please coach,” said McLeod.

“But PR, national record, 12.90, fifth fastest man in history, I have just been told, so I am just excited about what is to come,” he added.

McLeod's outstanding achievement was certainly the highlight but he was pushed by the improving Ronald Levy, who clocked a wonderful 13.13secs, which was just outside his personal best of 13.10secs, which makes him the second fastest man in the world this season. Olympic bronze medallist Hansle Parchment, who looked out of sorts in the semi-final with 13.78secs, returned and snatched the third spot with 13.19secs from lane eight.

Dacres wins men's discus, and Jonneil Smith advances in the women's 200m

110m hurdles final

RoyalDad 2017-06-25 07:36:44 

In reply to mikesiva

Omar is in tremendous shape. Levy tugging at his heels. Excellent race with schoolboy Russell getting the experience.
Didn't Omar run the 400H at champs and set the record before Hyde broke it? Guy has blazing speed.

Our athletes are doing very good. Looking towards final day today.

mikesiva 2017-06-26 02:14:21 

Men's 400m

Nathan Allen 44.58
Demish Gaye 44.64
Steven gayle 45.09

Two guys under 45 seconds

Women's 400m

Shericka Jackson 50.05
Chrisann Gordon 50.13
Novlene Williams Mills 50.14

Women's mile relay looking good

Men's 200m

1) Yohan Blake 19.97
2) Rasheed Dwyer 20.26
3) Warren Weir 20.39
4) Kenroy Anderson 20.40
5) Julian Forte 20.46
6) Nickel Ashmeade 20.75

Blake felt a little bit of pain winning that

100m hurdles

What a race!

1) Danielle Williams 12.56
2) Megan Simmonds 12.63
3) Yanique Thompson 12.69
4) Rushelle Burton 12.70

Because Williams has a bye, all four go through to the World Champs....

"Forbes was surprised at her win and, while she said she was confident she would make the team, clocked a new personal best 22.71 seconds (0.8m/s), just outbattling Facey, who had a season's best 22.74 seconds with another newcomer, Jodean Williams of the University of the West Indies finishing third in 22.95 seconds....Kimberly Williams, who is recovering from a bruised heel, won the triple jump with a wind-aided 14.60m (5.1m/s), beating Shanieka Ricketts who also had a wind-aided jump of 14.39m (2.4m/s), with Shardia Lawrence third with 14.22m (1.0m/s). Odayne Richards retained the shot put title with a season's best 21.29m, beating discus champion Fedrick Dacres (20.25m) and Ashinia Miller (20.22m)."

Will Dacres do both discus and shot putt in London?

RoyalDad 2017-06-26 21:21:43 

In reply to RoyalDad

Where are Francis and Bloomfield?

mikesiva 2017-06-27 02:12:14 

In reply to RoyalDad

Francis was injured. Broomfield too?

RoyalDad 2017-06-27 06:29:03 

In reply to mikesiva
Thanks. Big loss those two.

SirGarny 2017-06-27 10:45:42 

In reply to RoyalDad

Skeen looks like he is ready to make the jump to the next level. Feel bad for him also

I've heard it stated that the NCAA system often over-works an athlete, considering the frequency of the meets and competing in multiple events.

Hopefully he can come back soon....considering his reaction on the track, that injury looks very severe!
cry cry

RoyalDad 2017-06-27 14:54:16 

In reply to SirGarny

I would agree with your statement. He was suspect at NCAA prelims, so I guess Auburn held him back. Unfortunately he got injured worse at the wrong time. Have to believe he would have been in the final 3 in the 100. He was beating Givans comfortably. Hope they can address injury and get him back soon. If something like Blake, you're looking at 2 years.

SirGarny 2017-06-27 15:50:22 

In reply to RoyalDad

I wonder if he would consider turning pro...he's a good talent

Headley 2017-06-27 17:00:01 

In reply to RoyalDad

Didn't Omar run the 400H at champs and set the record before Hyde broke it? Guy has blazing speed.

Yes Omar McLeod was the first Jamaican schoolboy to run the 400mn under 50 secs in 2013. Hyde is the only other schoolboy to achieve that.

Saw Sat afternoon Jnr Trials.
Kevona Davis, Kevona Davis, Kevona Davis. Shakena Foote sub 54 (53.65 from memory) in the U18 400m was spectacular. She came back a few hours later to run the ladies 800m and came a decent 6th.

Did not have time to post. Driving between St. Thomas and Kingston on a daily basis was killing me.

Snr Trials was great.
McLeod and Elaine are a cut above the competition. Nathon Allen and Demish Gaye still have more left in the tank. I expect them to go sub 44.25 before end of season. Not sure if Rhonda White can repeat the 54.27. Our hurdlers are looking better every day, Including 35 year old Ricardo Cunningham who may yet surprise some folks. Our 400m ladies are solid but not yet spectacular. We will play second fiddle to USA until Felix goes.

DukeStreet 2017-06-27 18:46:03 

In reply to Headley
If the US makes it to the Final in the women 4x400m, let's see if common sense prevails and they run Chicken Legs in the anchor position.

SirGarny 2017-06-28 16:45:10 

In reply to DukeStreet

let's see if common sense prevails and they run Chicken Legs in the anchor position

I don't believe it would make a difference. Felix runs the fastest leg irrespective of her position. It's the other US runners who have to resist the tendency to start blazing fast but then have nothing left.

RoyalDad 2017-06-28 19:50:51 

In reply to Headley
Kevona Davis.

Keep her on your radar.

DukeStreet 2017-06-28 20:24:39 

In reply to SirGarny
It could make a difference if she knows what deficit she has to work with and work accordingly to secure a victory, as realistic or unrealistic as it could be.

rudebway 2017-06-28 21:43:07 

In reply to DukeStreet

i doubt Felix will anchor. they will probably ahve her run second. We are going to have a hard time beating them. Felix running second, and Sanya anchoring was a winning combination for them. Sanya is done, and i am hoping the mileage is adding up on Felix.

on the Jamaican side, i think we have already seen the best of Steph McPherson and she is on the downside.

Headley 2017-06-28 23:57:53 

In reply to DukeStreet

Can't see why they would run Felix in any other position but anchor. Last time they did, it did not end well. As a Jamaican I hope they do.

Even though the US 400m women have better PBs than the Jamaican women, if Felix was absent I would put my money on Ja.

Headley 2017-06-29 00:04:52 

In reply to RoyalDad

If she progresses next year the way she has over the past 2 years, she will be challenging some of our best ladies for a place on the relay squad. As it is now only three women at Snr Trials were faster than her 22.95 in the 200m.

RoyalDad 2017-06-29 14:59:06 

In reply to Headley

Hope they manage her accordingly. Don't overwork her at Champs..re Carrie Russell. Now she's pushing bobsleds.

She has all the markings of a top talent. That goes for the other youngster coming to class 3 also. Ran 200 under 24 secs.

rudebway 2017-06-30 08:13:36 

In reply to RoyalDad

Don't overwork her at Champs..re Carrie Russell.

i thought russell had an injury and then decided to go push bobsleds. and speaking of overwork at champs, it appears Michael Ohara is in the witness protection program.

RoyalDad 2017-06-30 14:22:21 

In reply to rudebway

You could be right. Anyway, she's pushing bobsleds.She was beginning to rebound,but went the other direction..

OHara?! Really!!!

archangel 2017-07-01 03:59:34 

In reply to rudebway

I am prepared to wait on O'Hara.

The way how Mills has him, you think something big is coming next year.
Remember he had to sort out Bolt before he became a legend.

I am mindful of his failure with Daryl Brown under similar circumstances though. I say failure because so much more was expected and said failure might not have been due solely on him.

So let us see where O'Hara pans out.

RoyalDad 2017-07-01 07:44:44 

At this stage of the game,OHara may be best suited for the 200. The 100H is totally out and you can understand why. The 100 could be a possibility,but here too the comp is tuff.Bolt and Blake not withstanding, he will have to contend with Skeen,Givans,Bailey-Cole,and lesser extent Minzie, Forte and yes Chambers. The latter I will have to wait until next year to see how he progresses at Auburn.200 is wide open. Blake seems to be getting his endurance back, but that's the comp. No one else runs the 200 at a respectable level.Dwyer is OK but he has not broken the 20 sec barrier.He does seem though that he could transition to the next level so as stated, we have to just wait for that development to take its course.Very good top end speed. Bodes well for him.

rudebway 2017-07-01 10:28:59 

In reply to archangel

I am prepared to wait on O'Hara The way how Mills has him

thanks. at least now i know where he is. i was not implying that he was a failure, it was simply that i havent heard anything about him running in quite a while. you would think he would have at least been in the B race at the Jamaica invitational that Michael Campbell ran in. Hopefully he is fixing his atrocious start and we will see him soon.

Headley 2017-07-01 23:18:34 

In reply to RoyalDad

Dwyer is OK but he has not broken the 20 sec barrier.

Dwyer went sub 20 and did his PB at the Pan Am Games 2015 I believe. !9.76 the same as DQ from memory. Someone who is keen can check.

RoyalDad 2017-07-02 18:42:48 

In reply to Headley

Thanks for the heads up. Saw his race yesterday?!
Poor finish.

Headley 2017-07-02 22:27:43 

In reply to RoyalDad

Commentator was suggesting that Dwyer and the American Webb were suffering from the effects of Trials the previous week. He may be right. Their times were surprisingly slow.

SirGarny 2017-07-03 10:56:47 

In reply to Headley

suffering from the effects of Trials the previous week. He may be right. Their times were surprisingly slow.

ET ran 10.71 in Jamaica at trials and she only managed a pedestrian 10.91 in Paris less than a week later.

She still outclassed the field....

That Steven Francis knows how to coach...

Assafa, Shelly-Ann, Elaine...it's like art...three of the most technically correct 100m sprinters you can find..

Headley 2017-07-03 18:21:15 

In reply to SirGarny

Yes sir, Francis is no sweetbread, as the Bajans say, but there is no denying he knows how to get results.

RoyalDad 2017-07-04 10:45:55 

In reply to Headley

Elaine was under instructions to win the race,but do so with minimum effort. I think we all know why.
She will be on her best come worlds...time and all.