The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

MAN UP DARREN ...... ....

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 18:26:52 

https://www.barbadostoday.bb/2017/06/23/due-process-not-followed/

He said no CWI official had sought to engage him on the matter and he found this particularly disappointing since in the past he had committed his future to West Indies cricket.
Even though you saw a tweet on my Twitter account, no one actually asked me if I did that,” Bravo told Massy United Insurance’s Line & Length Network in an exclusive interview set to be aired this weekend.

surprised

BeatDball 2017-06-23 18:30:13 

He's now politically astute...he didn't, actually tweeted the offensive phrase!!
big grin wink

Khaga 2017-06-23 18:39:53 

lol lol

sunfish 2017-06-23 19:01:38 

This is Trumpian speak and behavior at its finest..

Khaga 2017-06-23 19:02:59 

In reply to ellisstreet

Appropriately enough , I get "Page Not Found" when I click on the link lol

anandgb 2017-06-23 19:15:43 

In reply to BeatDball

Everyone learning from Trump. lol lol

anandgb 2017-06-23 19:16:39 

In reply to Khaga

Appropriately enough , I get "Page Not Found" when I click on the link lol
True, so its fake news lol lol

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:19:56 

https://www.barbadostoday.bb/2017/06/23/due-process-not-followed/

Embattled West Indies left-hander Darren Bravo has accused Cricket West Indies of not affording him due process, in the decision to axe him from the Tri-Series tour of Zimbabwe last November.

Breaking his silence for the first time since the controversy erupted eight months ago, the 28-year-old said CWI’s only communication with him was to indicate that his contract had been terminated and to inform him of flight details home.

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:20:48 

He said no CWI official had sought to engage him on the matter and he found this particularly disappointing since in the past he had committed his future to West Indies cricket.
“Even though you saw a tweet on my Twitter account, no one actually asked me if I did that,” Bravo told Massy United Insurance’s Line & Length Network in an exclusive interview set to be aired this weekend.

“I went to sleep the day after the tweet, woke up at 6:30 a.m. trying to get myself ready to head to Zimbabwe for the Tri-Series and all of a sudden I saw two emails – one from Roland Holder (CWI cricket operations manager) and one from Richard Pybus (former CWI director of cricket) stating that my contract has been terminated and I was being sent home.

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:22:26 

“The other email was from Roland Holder with my flight details but no one actually asked me anything.”

He continued: “I was also given an ultimatum, after being sent home, to take down the tweet by 4 p.m. and apologise on twitter but at the end of the day no one can prove if Darren Bravo actually went on his Twitter account and tweeted that.

“There was no due process, there wasn’t anything. No one asked me anything. Up to this day, no one called me and asked me so it has been very disappointing.

“Yes I want to play cricket for West Indies again but at the end of the day when I step back onto the field, I want to be able to be happy, I want to be able to enjoy my cricket once more and that is probably something I have been lacking for the last year playing for West Indies.”

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:23:06 

The impasse arose last November after Bravo rejected a downgraded central contract from CWI and president Dave Cameron subsequently said in a television interview that the player had not merited an enhanced retainer because of his “declining averages”.

Cameron mistakenly inferred that Bravo had previous held a Grade A contract prompting a Twitter rant from the Trinidadian in which he labelled the Jamaican administrator “a big idiot”.

Barbadian lawyer Donna Symmonds, a member of Bravo’s legal team, said her client’s rights had been breached and said subsequent attempts to negotiate with CWI had ended in frustration.

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:24:12 

“Darren had no due process. As far as we are concerned his contractual rights were breached. There has been a rush to judgement, there has been action taken,” she contended.

“We have tried to negotiate this matter with them [Cricket West Indies] … we had actually come to an understanding about a number of things where both sides could say they have resolved and reached an area or position where they could live with it and Darren could be reintegrated into the West Indies team.

“Then something happened – I would have to say a breach of good faith – and it caused the negotiations to break down so we’re no longer there. But at this stage we’re not going to be making any comment on that part (removal of the tweet) because due process has not been given and Darren has not had the chance to put his
case to anyone.”

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:24:51 

Since being sent home from the tour, Bravo has been barred from taking part in domestic cricket and only last week, his presence for Trinidad and Tobago in a practice match against West Indies, reportedly drew protests from CWI.

Last week, Cameron said that Bravo would remain ignored for selection until the offending tweet was removed but Symmonds, questioned the basis for the “continued ban”.

“Up to now, Cricket West Indies has not explained their authority for this continued ban,” Symmonds argued.

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:27:48 

“They terminated Darren’s contract, they punished him by doing that for what they perceived to be a breach by him and yet this ban continues and up to now we have not been told the authority by which they are doing this.

“He’s not even been informed. He only hears if he’s picked to play a game and then he’s told he can’t play because Cricket West Indies says you can’t play. They have never even engaged Darren directly or his lawyers directly to say ‘this is why we are doing this and it is for X, Y period. We hear … via the media.”

Bravo is West Indies’ premier Test batsman, with 3400 runs from 49 Tests at an average of 40, including eight centuries and 16 half-centuries.

sgtdjones 2017-06-23 20:31:13 

Sue dem Rass lil B

Other than CWI stooges, cricket fan supports you, not the BIG EDiot.

twisted twisted twisted

ellisstreet 2017-06-23 20:33:06 

TO MAN UP IS " to do the things a man is traditionally expected to do, such as taking responsibility for the consequences of one's actions, MAN UP DARREN MAN UP!

Gun_Play 2017-06-23 21:18:20 

So if he didn't tweet it why didn't he just take

it down by four????

Smh... This should have been a NBA type fine and

move on.

WestDem 2017-06-23 22:19:38 

In reply to Gun_Play

lol lol lol lol lol

buds 2017-06-23 23:23:23 

In reply to ellisstreet

Blasted Dickhead--Chipid Ass--Who does he think he talking to--Maybe Trumpsters.lol

stone 2017-06-23 23:51:57 

Lil B don't take no tweet down big idiot have to give respect
in order to get respect p0int blank....

dwinston 2017-06-24 02:07:38 

In reply to anandgb

It's not had trumpian as you may think. Just watch a program on Investgate ID. Where a one individual use his buddy shoe, car and gun to commit a crime. The DNA evidence implicate his buddy. Btw the pseudo friend put back all the "stuff" in his friend house. Just to say they have no proof that this is Bravo. Due process would have clarified this. big grin

mikesiva 2017-06-24 06:36:20 

In reply to ellisstreet

Lil Bravo has a point. Due process wasn't followed. The first course of action should have been to contact Lil Bravo, and ask him if the tweet was posted by him.

This is what's going to hurt the WICB all the time...acting without following due process. Even when they might be right, they go about it the wrong way.

Examples of assistants posting on twitter

And some more

I'm sure Lil Bravo posted it himself on twitter, but the fact that the WICB didn't follow due process, and ask him if it was done by him, or an assistant, weakens the WICB case. Johnny Grave really screwed up there...it's funny how we bring in these English folks, thinking that because they're white, they know more than we do, and yet they go ahead and make such basic mistakes!

big grin

Khaga 2017-06-24 07:36:31 

In reply to mikesiva

Who was the CEO when this alleged incident occurred?

BeatDball 2017-06-24 08:21:31 

Of course, u fellas know that tree-knees lie like a modda!
big grin wink

nick2020 2017-06-24 09:09:23 

In reply to mikesiva

Does it matter if it was him? If he gives someone the authority to act on his behalf then he is responsible for the content. If an employee screws up the company is liable.

Halliwell 2017-06-24 10:38:46 

In reply to nick2020

Exactly
And if the company is liable it's the CEO

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-24 13:12:41 

Whatever appears on your Twitter account is presumed to have been done, or authorized by you. Bravo talking nonsense there. And as someone stated earlier if he was hacked he should have taken it down immediately. BS

Pacy 2017-06-24 13:22:41 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Crux of his issue is "Why was the issue not investigated?". I am sure he did it but what is the process for disciplinary action? Why was that followed would be basis of his case.

His lawyer is helping him to speak the right statements to media so taht his case remains strong from their point of view.

jacksprat 2017-06-24 14:10:48 

If that is Bravo's position - that he is not aware of who posted the tweet on his account - or he is not responsible for it -then it is an asinine and indefensible position.

That said, it does not detract from the fact that he was not accorded due process in this imbroglio with Cameron and the West Indies Board.

What is is the disciplinary process?
Is the Disciplinary Committee now obsolete?
And what is the WIPA's , the players' union, position in all of this?

It can not be just for a player to be given an indefinite suspension seemingly on the whim of the board president. It is akin to being given the death sentence for a traffic violation.

ellisstreet 2017-06-24 14:33:57 

Insolence means repudiation by an employee of his/her duty to show respect. Insolence is an employee’s disrespectful behaviour towards the employer.

Insolence at the workplace crosses the line. Unless the employment contracts specifically says that you may be insolent towards your boss (!) - insolence not tolerated in employment contracts. Listening and acting on your boss's instructions is why you are paid money; it is a material term of your employment contract. Insulting him/her is not.

ellisstreet 2017-06-24 14:35:54 

Generally speaking, you cannot be fired for a single incident, but there are exceptions for the more dramatic or sensational instances of insolence, where a Court can find the insolence to run so deep as to effectively render the wounded employer-employee relationship unsalvageable.

In Donovan v. New Brunswick Publishing Co., a 1996 New Brunswick case, a staff writer with 36 years tenure was fired for telling a client of his employer-newspaper to "shove it". The client in question was a professional hockey team, the St. John’s Flames.

ellisstreet 2017-06-24 14:39:19 

Sometimes, though, and employee slips through the assessment process with, or develops emotional or mental health issues. If an act of insolence is completely out of character for the employee, or where there is a suspicion that it may have been provoked by the supervisor, it is best to discipline rather than dismiss.

Of course, some acts of insolence are simply horrible or occur in front of customers or include implied or real threats of violence. In those cases, it may rupture and render irretrievable the employment contrac
t.

You would think that insolence would suffice in and of itself to terminate an employee. However as is set out above, the Courts expect the employer to exercise the wisdom of Solomon in dealing with insolence, probably recognizing that decades of an employee's tenure ought not to be sacrificed at the altar of a perfect work record

ellisstreet 2017-06-24 14:50:48 

Employers need not put up with a recalcitrant employee or workplace malcontent indefinitely. An employee who is insolent, insubordinate or disobedient can, in the right circumstances, be dismissed from employment for just cause – i.e. with immediate effect and without notice or pay in lieu of notice.

The circumstances, however, have to be right. Kokilev v. Picquic Tool Company Inc., [2010] B.C.J. No. 1973 (S.C.) is a B.C. Supreme Court decision illustrating what can happen to an employer if the circumstances are not right.

imusic 2017-06-24 15:24:07 

In reply to ellisstreet

Good thing this is a BC issue

sgtdjones 2017-06-24 16:43:08 

Can we look at the facts.

Lil B said he didn't post such on Twitter.

What if it's a family member who has access to his account?

Due diligence

When such happens Lil B should have been questioned about it on tour and a report sent to the CWI Board and the Big Ediot.

We know that didn't happen. He received two emails.

One from Pybus that he violated his contract and being sent home.

The other his ticket and travel schedule.

Pybus is no longer associated with CWI, leaving the Big Ediot and the CWI Board holding the bag.

Who made the decision to suspend lil B, it wasn't the Board as stated by the Big Ediot when interviewed
recently.
Big Ediot noted that it came up for discussion recently to send lil B before the disciplinary committee to see
if further action is necessary?

Who made such a decision to suspend lil B?
Was it Pybus?
Was it Big Ediot and Pybus?
Are they members of the disciplinary committee?

Before the suspension was lil B given a hearing or was it a dictatorial decision?

We are aware the Big Ediot made an error in his statement about lil B contract.

A statement correcting such was documented on lil B's twitter account.

Lil B was suspended without a hearing or brought before the CWI disciplinary committee.

So without a hearing, a dictatorial decision was made to prohibit this player from applying his trade?

Should be interesting in a court of law.

jelfew 2017-06-24 22:46:00 

In reply to sgtdjones

the only fact that your post contain is that you are just another idiot out there. You cannot get your facts straight.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-24 22:47:28 

In reply to sgtdjones

Lil B said he didn't post such on Twitter.

What if it's a family member who has access to his account?

BS corporal. It is his account so anything on it is presumed to be his. Accounts are password protected so it would mean he was careless or wilful.

If he was hacked all the more reason why he should take it down and apologize.

OneUp 2017-06-24 23:50:17 

No sense of personal responsibility like most in the Caribbean.

ellisstreet 2017-06-25 01:28:07 

I am very disappointed with the inability or unwillingness of some posters to think rationally, reasonably, sensibly or even honestly about this matter concerning Lil B and his disrespectful and contemptuously insulting tweet.

Although Cameron misspoke he did not insult Lil B. However, Lil B’s immature, foolish, unreasoned and insolently rude response must not be allowed to influence his team mates and by extension other young West Indian cricket hopefuls.

Though it appears that such conduct was not courageously confronted in the fairly recent past it must not be allowed to recur. Further, if the offensive tweet is not removed and a public apology tendered to CWI Darren must not be allowed to rejoin the team.

I done!

johndom90 2017-06-25 06:58:43 

In reply to sgtdjones

Due factin process was not followed in 'banning Bravo'...full stop.

If a murder is committed, suspect held red handed, he will walk if due

process is not followed.

What is so hard to understand about that?

His imperial majesty, Cameron, is now talking about disciplinary committee.

What committee? They never implemented any action on Bravo, so what are they going to

review exactly?

WIPA is proving itself to be a bullshyte organization in its current form, useless and irrelevant,
incapable of representing anyone so dog nyam yuh supper.

mittheimp 2017-06-25 07:35:35 

There are faults all over the plaCe... but really this is all very silly, one tweet and a career possibly finished. Darren Bravo, Dave Cameron probably is a big idiot but you really have shot yourself in the foot.... whoever is advising you stop paying them and get someone with your real interests at heart.

Devin 2017-06-25 07:59:07 

This is yet another case of Bravo being the Trini pantyseed that he truly is.

Leaving a tour before the final test match because Sammy bowled you a bouncer, taking a break so that he didn't have to face Steyn and co. in South Africa. Now this, typical pantyseed behaviour. He will neither admit nor deny posting that tweet. He'd rather prefer to play a game.

rubberd 2017-06-25 08:49:07 

In reply to johndom90

His imperial majesty, Cameron, is now talking about disciplinary committee.

What committee? They never implemented any action on Bravo, so what are they going to

Sequence of events confirms that Cameron is lying again. CWI had bypassed disciplinary committee and was negotiating settlement. It appears that resolution called for apology on both sides.
Link Text

You don't want to follow your own rules yet talking about indiscipline. That is the way of the dictator / tyrant .

Darren's contract provides a procedure to settle these matters and now Cricket West Indies has suggested another procedure which we are presently reviewing but we have to ensure that the alternative procedure suggested by Cricket West Indies does not operate to the detriment of our client,”

Inity 2017-06-25 10:58:51 

The important question is whether anyone from CWI can prove that Bravo wrote that tweet. We are living in digital age and once Bravo is asked and he maintains that he didn't write it, the court will have to accept the evidence presented. CWI can't investigate the matter at this stage. At the end of the day it isn't what you know. It is what you can prove. Hence Bravo looks to be in a good place. The emails are time stamp and the CWI isn't In aposition to deny the time the action was taken. This is a good argument for due process, my money on Bravo for now. How can one argue that a password is sufficient to make a device safe in this age despite the abundance of evidence in the news every day that prove otherwise. Should I also assume that the person posting here is actually Bravo or the person with the Lara picture is actually Lara? This issue was handled poorly from the beginning.

Baje 2017-06-25 13:12:20 

In reply to Inity
I think the issue was that Bravo was asked to remove the tweet and he didnt. Whether he wrote it or not, he shuld have been able to remove it, or explain why he couldn;t.

Inity 2017-06-25 15:35:32 

In reply to Baje

Yes, but after his contract was terminated. At that stage he isn't really obligated. I see payment of lost earnings and possible damages.

doublecentury 2017-06-25 22:07:36 

In reply to Baje

I think you must read carefully what Bravo actually said...he didn't say he didn't post the tweet...he said his contract was cancelled and he was sent home but nobody contacted him to ask about the tweet.

DIEHARD 2017-06-25 22:42:06 

In reply to mittheimp

There are faults all over the plaCe... but really this is all very silly, one tweet and a career possibly finished. Darren Bravo, Dave Cameron probably is a big idiot but you really have shot yourself in the foot.... whoever is advising you stop paying them and get someone with your real interests at heart.
lol lol lol lol lol lol
st
My dear misguided friend..please take a look at those cricketers who play for the WI vs those who play franchise or even FC cricket outside of the jurisdiction of the WICB.

Do any of those players seem to have made the wrong decision? Or to have suffered.

The problem is, you and the WICB living in the past..to think that playing for the WI until retirement is some cherished prize.

Once you have played enough to satisfy the requirements of a working visa...Cricket WI is useless to a cricketer from these islands with any marketable talent..the Chases, Hopes and Carters need WI cricket, Lil B, Smith Simmons and the like..don't.

They can fork off and die..waiting on their apology

Pacy 2017-06-26 02:57:32 

[b]In reply to Baje[/ b]

think the issue was that Bravo was asked to remove the tweet and he didnt.

Was he discussed with abs asked to take down the tweet before his contract was terminated? Looks like he was not. So the case would not even go that far. CWI should be first answering on what basis they terminated his contract first