The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Devin: Serena Williams would be 'like No. 700'

nick2020 2017-06-26 07:58:34 

John McEnroe: Serena Williams would be 'like No. 700 in world' on men's circuit

Devin 2017-06-26 08:04:28 

In reply to nick2020

Lol. I saw that just a few minutes ago. Was on the ESPN website. Not sure what sense it makes to point that out. She plays on the WTA and is either the greatest female player of all time, or #2, no lower than #3.

If Nadal played on the women's tour, he would never lose. Even if they told him he could only hit a one-hand backhand as opposed to two hands. And Nadal wouldn't even need his usual dose of steroids.

If Fed played on the WTA, they could force him to only hit two-handed backhands. Wouldn't make a difference, he'd never drop a set, let alone lose a match.

gvenkat 2017-06-26 09:34:38 

In reply to Devin

Go easy in rafa bro. lol

pelon 2017-06-26 10:15:17 

John McEnroe excreted his insecurities, and a cacophony of "it's true" by weak men and their primal chest beating begins...

black 2017-06-26 10:21:48 

What is the point of all this?

Last I checked, Serena was playing women's tennis.

Chrissy 2017-06-26 10:27:12 

Puke

That is all

Tryangle 2017-06-26 11:21:51 

This seems like regurgitation of old news and a reporter fishing for new items. Didn't McEnroe say something similar about Serena years ago?

mikesiva 2017-06-26 11:23:36 

In reply to black

Exactly! What's with the misogyny among tennis fans and some male tennis players? It seems they resent equal prize money being offered at the Grand Slams. As it is, the men already have more prize money on the ATP than the women on the WTA, so what's with this pointless chauvinism?

Only in tennis....

I don't see track and field fans saying, "Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce would only be ranked No. 700 in the men's 100m."

This is one of the things that has annoyed me about tennis down the years. Men compete against men, and women compete against women. Leave out the stupid cross-gender comparisons.

granite 2017-06-26 11:32:22 

Well I saw an Indian woman make an 86 against England,left handed opener she was,I feel she could walk into some men's team.

Tryangle 2017-06-26 11:39:14 

In reply to mikesiva

Last week reporters asked the Indian captain on who her favourite men's player was - she immediately told the reporter off.

Back when she was dominant on the LPGA tour, Annika Sorenstam dabbled a bit in men's competition, of course golf is a different animal than tennis or T&F.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-26 11:55:40 

Why all the outrage now? Aren't there some saying she's the GOAT?

steveo 2017-06-26 15:03:39 

In reply to mikesiva

It seems they resent equal prize money being offered at the Grand Slams.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If the women were being paid the same for 5 sets as the men for 3 sets, what do you think the reaction would be?

Effectively men are being paid LESS.

Is the quality of the tennis better than the mens?

StumpCam 2017-06-26 16:59:39 

In reply to steveo

Put the shoe on the other foot. If the women were being paid the same for 5 sets as the men for 3 sets, what do you think the reaction would be?

Equal prize money is not about equal work for equal pay! It has more to do with the TV audience! Women draw as well as men I believe! Don't have the actual numbers, but that is the basis of equal pay.

USA Womens national soccer team actually outdraws the mens team when it comes to TV audience, hence their cry for equal pay! wink

Devin 2017-06-26 17:10:40 

I'm all for women's rights and equality, but there is no way to justify female tennis players getting paid the same amount as men.

In men's tennis a player can win a best of three 6-3 6-4 and that match will last longer than a women's tennis match that goes deep into the third set.

Of course there is that little issue of quality and entertainment value as well. Fan following, popularity etc etc.

Ayenmol 2017-06-26 17:16:45 

In reply to StumpCam

Equal prize money is not about equal work for equal pay! It has more to do with the TV audience! Women draw as well as men I believe! Don't have the actual numbers, but that is the basis of equal pay.

That to me is the key. People love react in absolutes way too much...they feel if this is that way that that should be this way. Foolishness! If the women are drawing the same as the men, then they are worthy to earn the same prize.

Should the NBA pay the WNBA players as they do the NBA? Of course not. But of course McEnroe is taking a swipe at women. He is a jerk like that. I think Serena could play with most ranked above 75. 75. And beat the 300 plus in a three setter...i think!

Devin 2017-06-26 17:23:16 

In reply to Ayenmol

Should the NBA pay the WNBA players as they do the NBA? Of course not. But of course McEnroe is taking a swipe at women. He is a jerk like that. I think Serena could play with most ranked above 75. 75. And beat the 300 plus in a three setter...i think!

Dude, junior tennis players wouldn't lose a set to Serena. Have you ever watched mixed doubles tennis? Most of the women can't even return a professional male tennis player's serve.

imusic 2017-06-26 17:42:53 

In reply to StumpCam

Women draw as well as men I believe! Don't have the actual numbers, but that is the basis of equal pay.

THIS STORY disputes that

Viewing figures
Serena Williams might be right in saying that some people only watch tennis to watch her but it does not disguise the huge disparity in viewing figures between the men’s and women’s games.

Excluding Grand Slams, 395million viewers watched WTA Premier events and finals on TV and digital, compared to 973m for ATP events.

Viewing figures for Wimbledon 2015 finals:
UK (BBC)
Wimbledon men’s final (BBC) – 9.2m viewers
Wimbledon ladies’ final (BBC) – 4.3m viewers

US (ESPN)
Men’s final most viewed day, despite no representatives from US and Serena competing the day before. 24.4m live minutes viewed – the most ever for a single day of tennis

Australia (Channel Seven)
Wimbledon men’s final– 1.2m viewers
Wimbledon ladies’ final – 700k viewers

In the UK, bearing in mind that neither final had any British participants, the men’s final was watched by twice as many people as the women’s final.

In Australia, 1.2m people watched the bout between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer ahead of 700,000 viewers for Serena Williams v Garbine Muguruza.

Most tellingly, in the USA, Williams own country, the most-watched day of tennis at Wimbledon on ESPN was men’s final day, which provided a record-breaking 24.4million live minutes viewed – the most ever for a single day of tennis.

Yet, winners of each singles event will pocket £2.15million in 2016.

Ayenmol 2017-06-26 17:43:46 

In reply to Devin

LikeI said, am not sure...Not much of a debate either way. I watch Womens Tennis not mens. Most of the money in Sports come from TV nowadays. I do not have to watch Womens tennis to see men's or vice versa. So if they are generating the same eyballs then regardless of how much more "work" the men do, it should generate same cash. In fact i would venture a guess that Women's tennis has been more popular in the US than Men's for the last decade.

So when it comes to purse there should be no argument based on workload. Pay is not based on workload in Entertainment!

Ayenmol 2017-06-26 17:47:58 

In reply to imusic

There is something to be said for the fact that Womes Championship are televised on Saturday, men's on Sunday....Remember these things are estimates, so the viewing times are important in how numbers are calculated!

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-26 18:00:47 

In reply to imusic

I think there was a time when women appeared to be attracting more attention than men and the women used that to draw level pay.

I think the pendulum has swung back. This is arguably the best time for men's tennis with the big four dominant for the last decade.

On the other hand the women's outcome had been too predictable and could have led to the decline in viewership.

Devin 2017-06-26 18:03:12 

There is no way in hell that women's tennis draws anywhere near the television viewers as men, not even close.

Serena Williams is basically the Floyd Mayweather of tennis. The majority of people watching her matches want her to be beaten. You hear it in the crowd. She doesn't even get the crowd support in the US.

Devin 2017-06-26 18:06:28 

Back in the days of Navratilova, Graf and Every, I could see the numbers being somewhat closer.

Then again later on during the Graf vs Seles era, and in the early to mid 2000's when you had Serena, Clijsters, Henin.

Ayenmol 2017-06-26 18:10:55 

In reply to Devin

There is no way in hell that women's tennis draws anywhere near the television viewers as men, not even close.

Serena Williams is basically the Floyd Mayweather of tennis. The majority of people watching her matches want her to be beaten. You hear it in the crowd. She doesn't even get the crowd support in the US.

Not sure what your point is...You claim that she is the villain of the Sport but that there is no way Womens tennis is viewed by greater numbers than Men's? You realise that eyeballs are generated by this love of viewers to see the greats go down right? Like Lebron and Tiger and Mayweather and Bolt? Cept for Bolt...there is a genuine love for him but if there is someone knocking o the door as he is about to exit at an Olympics? Guaranteed he'd get the most eyeballs ever!

StumpCam 2017-06-26 18:25:17 

In reply to imusic

Maybe because, Serena matches tends to be one-sided affairs more often than not???? Whereas, the mens matches are usually more competitive! Thats only my perspective, not a scientific analysis! wink

archangel 2017-06-26 18:46:47 

McEnroe looking for relevance.

Maybe trying to set up a battle of the sexes like when Bobby Riggs played Margaret Court and Billie Jean King.

Devin 2017-06-26 19:27:46 

In reply to archangel

A movie about that match between Riggs and King is coming out this summer. One about Borg vs McEnroe as well.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-26 19:33:25 

In reply to Devin

Back in the day they were trying to promote a match between the McEnroe brothers vs the Williams sisters.

Chrissy 2017-06-26 20:17:45 

In reply to black

Racism on steroids - someone should have asked if the same was true for the white females

Chrissy 2017-06-26 20:18:24 

In reply to Devin

I saw that match live on TV in New York - BJ murdered him.

nick2020 2017-06-26 20:28:45 

In reply to mikesiva

Uh, you forget Serena's comment? She is the originator of this "silly comparison".

If I were a man...

Devin 2017-06-26 20:29:41 

Serena responds:

Link Text

nick2020 2017-06-26 20:31:14 

In reply to Devin

It is quite unfortunate but this is the only time in life I will ever agree with you. Ever.

You want racism? Just look at this board and Serena. lol

nick2020 2017-06-26 20:34:45 

In reply to Chrissy

Rules and court were equal?

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-26 20:37:32 

In reply to Chrissy

Racism on steroids - someone should have asked if the same was true for the white females

Question is how would you have reacted if he said it about a white female player?

Devin 2017-06-26 20:38:52 

In reply to nick2020

Hey, we agree that Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time.

nick2020 2017-06-26 20:48:06 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Wouldn't bat an eye.

nick2020 2017-06-26 20:56:32 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Question is how would you have reacted if he said it about a white female player?

Serena on a rape victim

We watch the news for a while, and the infamous Steubenville rape case flashes on the TV – two high school football players raped a drunk 16-year-old, while other students watched and texted details of the crime. Serena just shakes her head. "Do you think it was fair, what they got? They did something stupid, but I don't know. I'm not blaming the girl, but if you're a 16-year-old and you're drunk like that, your parents should teach you: Don't take drinks from other people. She's 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn't remember? It could have been much worse. She's lucky. Obviously, I don't know, maybe she wasn't a virgin, but she shouldn't have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that's different."

Serena loses to after foul mouth outburst

On a night of fury and f-words, Williams managed just that, when she received a point penalty at match point down in her semi-final against Kim Clijsters for intimidating a line judge by allegedly telling her: "I swear to God, I'm f------ going to take this f------ ball and shove it down your f------ throat, you hear that? I swear to God."

Serena and her married coach

steveo 2017-06-26 21:12:23 

USA Womens national soccer team actually outdraws the mens team when it comes to TV audience, hence their cry for equal pay!

If you are correct, I am with you 110%.

However you are NOT. Men have a global viewing audience of 1 billion vs 400million for women.

On the whole mens athletics far outdraws women and for that reason they should get more money. Only cherry picked stats under special circumstances do women outdraw men.

Devin 2017-06-27 00:16:16 

My two boys Wilbon and Kornheiser weigh in:

Link Text

JahJah 2017-06-27 00:28:33 

In reply to archangel

Or maybe they're just trying to promote the film which is coming soon.

Tryangle 2017-06-27 09:09:03 

In reply to steveo

Only in the US does women's national team soccer get TV numbers on par with/exceeding the fellas.

Men's sports across the globe get far more TV and live audience coverage than their women's equivalents, with the exception of gymnastics, figure skating and I think volleyball.

One thing about McEnroe - was he asked on Serena's ability vs men, or did he throw it out there of his own accord? Because it seems like Serena has better things to worry about than McEnroe, who as I pointed out earlier, already has a history of pointing out that men players can defeat Serena.

ProWI 2017-06-27 11:54:53 

Thank God for Venus Williams and her voice and women players should say Amen to that.

gvenkat 2017-06-27 12:40:14 

In reply to Devin

Ram Ramanathan who just now defeated Thiem will take Serena out. cool

Devin 2017-06-27 13:02:25 

In reply to gvenkat

Dude, if I train and practice with a top of the line coach for one fu#king month, I'm pretty sure I'll take a set off Serena. There won't be any 6-0 6-1 business going on.

pelon 2017-06-27 13:27:32 

In reply to Devin

Dude, if I train and practice with a top of the line coach for one fu#king month, I'm pretty sure I'll take a set off Serena. There won't be any 6-0 6-1 business going on.
You don't seriously believe that do you? I understand some Caribbean men have head issues, but please god tell me you don't believe that YOU an 'unranked' tennis player could win a Set against the greatest female player. Yuh carry de joke too far man smile smile

Devin, you couldn't even beat her in table tennis.

Devin 2017-06-27 13:38:37 

In reply to pelon

I would kill her in any racquet sport apart from tennis. Listen, a friend of mine that I played against used to consistently serve in the 120mph range, and more often than not I did a decent job returning his serve.

My serve isn't anywhere in that neck of the woods, but I know I serve harder than the overwhelming majority of women on tour. So my serve alone will be a problem for Serena, especially since I have no problem going for my second serve. I would just drop shot her ass all day and make her run from side to side. Bring her in to net and pass her ass.

I know one thing, even if I don't win or take a set, she ain't cutting my ass. But in all honesty, all I need is a month with a top level tennis coach and I'll give Serena a run for her money.

pelon 2017-06-27 14:37:32 

In reply to Devin

But in all honesty, all I need is a month with a top level tennis coach and I'll give Serena a run for her money.

As sure as Jesus walked on water, I believe you can too.

imusic 2017-06-27 15:03:03 

In reply to pelon

devin is a blowsorf

pelon 2017-06-27 15:29:56 

In reply to imusic

yes, i gine leff he and dem delusions. Proves imagination can be called upon to (over)compensate weaknesses.

@Devin
You ever played or train with Sydney Lopez? next time you in Bim, let me know, I will set up a match between you and Bim's #1 female seed. If you win - I pay your plane ticket. If you loose you buy me a cold Guinness and call me Uncle.

lol lol lol lol

Ayenmol 2017-06-27 15:35:48 

I got a chance to listen to the interview. Really not a big deal. I don't even think John was being demeaning. Please. What he said was the truth as I have also heard from people who are familiar with both genders tennis ability.

Based on the interview it seems the interviewer wants to do away with the obvious for the saKE OF WOMENS RIGHTS AND EQUALITY. It is agenda driven based on feminist ideas.

nick2020 2017-06-27 15:40:14 

In reply to imusic

Devin was a below average tennis player in a small island. Serena would beat him with an unstrung racquet.

nick2020 2017-06-27 15:45:35 

From Serena:

After number 1 WTA-ranked Ms Williams beat 100th-ranked qualifier Caroline Garcia of France 6-3, 6-2 to reach the third round at Wimbledon, the first question at her news conference concerned a suggestion by Murray - prompted by a fan's Twitter post - that the pair play each other.

"Really? He wants to play me? Is he sure?" Williams responded. "That would be fun. I doubt I'd win a point, but that would be fun.

So if Serena cannot win a point against Murray who on the men's tour could she beat?

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-06-27 15:52:50 

Number 701chimes in

...and so does Nick

Devin 2017-06-27 21:03:37 

Some more context to the Serena vs McEnroe debate:

Link Text

Devin 2017-06-27 21:08:09 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I saw Tursunov play years ago. He was ranked as high as #20 in the world. He would definitely kick Serena's backside.

He's played some good matches against Federer. Taken a few sets off him.

Tryangle 2017-06-28 09:10:26 

In the end, it's the reporter who stirred the pot and everything's gotten overblown. Serena is an amazing player. The men's game is of a higher quality. McEnroe is still a respected voice in tennis.

Khaga 2017-06-28 09:18:50 

In reply to Devin

John McEnroe has been one of Serena's admirers for a long time..only chip on shoulder skunts like Chrissy puke because they see motives in everyone but her own prejudiced mind..

Devin 2017-06-28 09:35:53 

In reply to Khaga

big grin big grin big grin big grin

You're on fire man.

VIX 2017-06-28 10:22:50 

didn't read thru- was this posted?

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters-Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[34] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[35][36] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[37] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[38] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[39] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

Wikipedia