The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jet Blast Kills Tourist on Beach - St. Maarten

Headley 2017-07-13 12:44:59 

A tourist has died at one of the world’s most dangerous airports.

The woman – a 57-year-old New Zealander – was reportedly watching a plane take off from the notorious Princess Juliana Airport in St Maarten when she was knocked over by the thrust from one of its engines.

Link

pelon 2017-07-13 13:22:11 

In reply to Headley

The airport is safe, the tourist that go to the edge of the runway to seek thrills: not so much.

SnoopDog 2017-07-13 13:24:16 

In reply to pelon

They tell people not to go stand right up close to the fence. And what do people do? Well, R.I.P to the lady.

Ninetenjack 2017-07-13 13:42:17 

In reply to Headley

I have personally seen drunk Brits hanging on to the fence only to be blow back across the beach.

positiveg 2017-07-13 13:55:32 

I've done it twice before, once when I wa a child, got blown across the beach
and just in February past.
It is a thrill, the danger signs are posted right there,
RIP to her.

SnoopDog 2017-07-13 14:00:06 

In reply to positiveg

This woman almost died in 2012 after sustaining serious injury.

Headley 2017-07-13 14:01:34 

In reply to pelon

Been there a few times and stayed next door once. Natural selection at work or do they need a low barrier to provide cover say below 4 ft?

It's been a tourist 'attraction' for some time. Can be found all over the net.

SnoopDog 2017-07-13 14:11:12 

In reply to Headley

Can we send all the Trump voters to watch a few planes next to that wall? lol

pelon 2017-07-13 14:22:45 

In reply to Headley
yes, I flew in personally on one occasion in a Cessna. IMHO the approach to Union Island in SVG is the most challenging I landed on.... see approach [the bank, the mountain etc have little room for error... and of couse water if u miss]

Side note: the first person to give me the yoke, and subsequently motivate me to fly was named Headley (Bim).... E. Headley... great guy. like all Headly stock.

RemainsUnknown 2017-07-13 14:57:29 

In reply to Headley & SnoopDog7

We visited St. Martin last December and that particular day we decided to visit that 'attraction' we decided to sit & sip an adult drink at the restaurant a few hundred yards adjacent to watch the proceedings.

We took videos & watched in amazement, seeing a bunch of people knocked right into the water trying to withstand the powerful blasts from the jets. People were rolling on the ground like a pieces of paper into the water.

It was a sight to behold. People will do stupid things. Now, in past, and forevermore.

SnoopDog 2017-07-13 15:07:51 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

I was there at that beach too. After I saw one plane land I lost interest. The novelty was over.

Drapsey 2017-07-13 16:08:05 

In reply to Headley

That was an accident waiting to happen.

It was just yesterday I visited a site with a 'slider' featuring the most dangerous airports in the world. St. Maarten's was featured.

Ayenmol 2017-07-13 16:33:01 

I think it's pretty cool that they alow folks to see this. But they should not be allowed to get up to the fence for anything greater than a business jet! On takeoff that is. No way you can hold on to a fence by your fingers under the pressre of these jets. And a 57 yr old? c'mon!

Projectiles are the scariest thing but i have never heard of anyone being hurt by that. As long as you are not putting yourself in a positin to be blown into a the concrete, you will be fine!

I could spend days watching airplanes land and take of! Just watching some of these videos takes me back to a great place and a feeling of adventure!

Kids and older folks should never go past the beach though. I saw video of a 747 putting up a rooster tail about a quarter mile into the Ocean on one video....sweet!

black 2017-07-13 16:58:36 

The wind force generated by those engines are insane, should be a limit to how close anyone can get to those planes.

Chrissy 2017-07-13 18:27:00 

In reply to pelon

That simple - sometimes Darwin strikes

Headley 2017-07-13 21:02:52 

Nice view of Union. It must be a kick to actually land a plane in there over the mountain. Tortola is similar, but not as steep.

Yes these Headleys are good folks. big grin

Headley 2017-07-13 21:05:22 

In reply to Drapsey

Strange that all these years they did not put in some low level buffers. They prolly will now. big grin

pelon 2017-07-13 21:24:19 

In reply to Headley

Nice view of Union. It must be a kick to actually land a plane in there over the mountain. Tortola is similar, but not as steep.

I've never been sober in Tortola, so I always went Liat. smile smile
Pussers has my DNA in about 2 corners. Amazing sailing too.

Headley 2017-07-13 21:54:04 

In reply to pelon

They say confession is good for the soul, but not the character. Can't think of a better place to be not sober. big grin Yes good sailing and good people.

pelon 2017-07-13 22:21:16 

In reply to Headley

Can't think of a better place to be not sober

So you've been!
The Dominican immigrants in the late 90's - 2000s made for some very interesting bar hoping nights. I remember hustling a guy at pool one night for free drinks etc. .... epic times.

Tortola has two sides - the hob nob side, and then the side for the rest of us. I take in both, but I spent much time in the BVI like a pirate. Had an interesting time on Peters Island too.

My time in Tortola is straight forward: rum.

Headley 2017-07-14 13:24:51 

In reply to pelon

Been to Tortola twice, Josh Van Dyke once and Virgin Gorda once. Good place to get up to mischief. May be the DR influence because the Grenadines (I know south including Petite Martinique and North including Bequia, never been to Union.) don't have that mischievous ambiance.

Runs 2017-07-14 14:02:55 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

It was a sight to behold. People will do stupid things. Now, in past, and forever.

It is as per nature and natural selection. Only the smartest and fittest will survive and pass on their genes. It is all good, meant to be so. cool
razz
Do not question or mess with nature