The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: WINDIES TEST SQUAD FOR TOUR OF ENGLAND

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-07-15 13:03:35 

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – The Selection Panel of Cricket West Indies today named a 15-member Windies Test squad for the Tour of England, starting later this month.

Opening batsman Kyle Hope and left-handed all-rounder Raymon Reifer are the only two uncapped players in the squad for the tour which will feature the first ever day/night Test in England from August 18 to 22 at Edgbaston. The second match will be at Headingley (August 25 to 29) with the third at Lord’s (September 7 to 11).

Following the Test matches, the Windies will have the limited overs segment of the tour. The squads for the five One-Day Internationals and one-off T20 International will be named at a later date.

SQUAD
Jason Holder (Captain), Kraigg Braithwaite (Vice Captain), Devendra Bishoo
Jermaine Blackwood, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins
Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer
Kyle Hope, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph
Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.

Full Story

mikesiva 2017-07-15 13:16:42 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

A few positions to be sorted out in the three county games....

1) Kraigg Brathwaite
2) Kyle Hope or Kieran Powell
3) Shai Hope
4-5) Jermaine Blackwood/Shimron Hetmyer/Raymon Reifer
6) Roston Chase
7) Shane Dowrich
cool Jason Holder
9) Dev Bishoo
10-11) Shannon Gabriel/Alzarri Joseph/Kemar Roach

I really don't know why Miguel Cummins is in the squad....

Drapsey 2017-07-15 13:19:59 

In reply to mikesiva

I really don't know why Miguel Cummins is in the squad....

Yuh caught fibbing again. Fess up! wink

Ragga007 2017-07-15 13:21:12 

What about KESRICK Williams??

Dizzy 2017-07-15 13:22:27 

Rakheem Cornwall should have been in this squad ahead of Reifer.

Look at how the English pitches are turning in this dry summer. Cornwall's 141 fc wickets from 30 games offers more than Reifer's 99 wickets from 50 games. There isn't much difference in their batting.

mikesiva 2017-07-15 13:31:34 

In reply to Drapsey

lol

Drapsey 2017-07-15 13:32:14 

In reply to Dizzy

How else would they get to maintain the Bajan count at 9.

doosra 2017-07-15 13:50:39 

my only disappointment is shemar brooks not getting a look in

perhaps on form KP should not have been there and shemar should

Drapsey 2017-07-15 14:09:54 

In reply to doosra

In other words, the Bajan count should be rounded up to double figures, at whose expense makes no never-minds (southern speak).

DIEHARD 2017-07-15 14:12:11 

Powell
Brahtwaite
K Hope/ Hety
Blackwood/ S Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Reifer
Aljo / Bishoo
Roach/ Cummings
Gabriel

If they are true to recent form however..Bishoo, Hety and Shai will retain their spots..with Blackwood coming in for the dropped walking wicket Vaginal Singh.

That # 3 spot is problematic..

I think Hety and Shai should be dropped unless they average > 40 in the warmup games

Why is Cummings still in the squad?

He is the poor mans Darren Powell

anthonyp 2017-07-15 14:28:58 

In reply to doosra

Brooks used to bowl leg spin? If he start again he could replace Bishoo... razz

doosra 2017-07-15 14:32:29 

In reply to anthonyp

easily

DIEHARD 2017-07-15 14:35:27 

In reply to Drapsey

They also omitted Carter, Nurse, Alleyne, Stoute and Greaves...oh Warrican and Corbin..selectors MUST do better

Narper 2017-07-15 14:39:34 

9 bajans
Cutarse for Big Hingland

WICFan 2017-07-15 14:54:47 

K. Braithwaite
K. Hope
K. Powell
J. Blackwood
R. Chase
R. Reifer
S. Dowrich
J. Holder
D. Bishoo
A. Joseph
S. Gabriel

Controversy 2017-07-15 16:54:56 

Rubbish team

VoopsandOut 2017-07-15 17:59:23 

In reply to Dizzy

I agree. I would have gone for Cornwall before Reifer. Good to see Roach back in our colours and I wish him well. The warm up matches will be very interesting as KH and KP fight for the other opening spot with KB and Hetmeyer and Blackwood fight for the middle order slot. Everyone else basically picks himself I think. Will we dare go with 3 quicks, Bishoo and the Cap? I think we need to have the bowlers to try to bowl England out. I do not expect too much of our batsmen sad

BeatDball 2017-07-15 18:11:54 

In reply to mikesiva Isn't cappo Holder's position cemented?

evil twisted

Toney 2017-07-15 18:26:26 

In reply to Dizzy

Rakheem Cornwall should have been in this squad ahead of Reifer.

To do what! As far as i know the heavy rollers at England cricket grounds are all motorized,
lol lol

WestDem 2017-07-15 19:38:46 

In reply to Toney

lol lol lol lol lol lol

NYCGURU 2017-07-15 20:00:29 

In reply to Toney

Cruel indeed boss.

Fivestar 2017-07-15 20:51:17 

Let me be blunt, this is not a very good squad and we will be defeated by England. There is a truce so it is my hope in future we will mix youth with experience and try to win cricket games. The other teams try to put their best foot forward. It is time we try to do the same.

mikesiva 2017-07-16 06:04:02 

In reply to Toney

lol
I would argue that instead of picking Cornwall ahead of Reifer, we should be picking Nikita Miller ahead of Miguel Cummins.

It's been an unusually dry summer for England so far, and as a result, England have played two spinners, Moeen and Dawson, against South Africa in both Tests to date. We should at least have two spinners in the squad, and Miller has outperformed every Caribbean spinner this decade.

solidrock 2017-07-16 07:37:53 

The treatment of a class player like Cornwall hurts very much. Why do they think his size will affect his performances on the field? This is so wrong. How can Cummings (only one example of those chosen) be of more value than Cornwall? evil

Pacy 2017-07-16 08:20:49 

In reply to solidrock

Cornwall is in Direct competition for the spinning allrounder position which is being held by Chase now. With Chase performing well I do not see Cornwall getting his chance anytime soon in the test arena. Bishoo is the primary Spinner in the tests and he too is going to hold his position.

While I too question the selection of Cummings it is in favor of another quick like Beaton.

mittheimp 2017-07-16 08:40:26 

In reply to mikesiva

English spinners not done much in this test

Baje 2017-07-16 12:19:36 

In reply to VoopsandOut

I agree. I would have gone for Cornwall before Reifer

Cornwall has a unique problem which seems to be making him ineligible for selection. The selectors have mentioned that in a round about manner, and I do not see the coach making attempts to override the selectors.

Baje 2017-07-16 12:21:39 

In reply to Pacy

While I too question the selection of Cummings it is in favor of another quick like Beaton.

I can understand Jerome Taylor, but Beaton? What has Beaton done to merit a play?

Pacy 2017-07-16 12:47:02 

In reply to Baje

Prime bowlers anyway are going to be Gabriel, Alzhari and Roach with Holder for most of the tests. Beaton from what I had seen in the LO cricket has pace and could be good exposure for him particularly with so many practice matches.

We surely would need couple more Quicks with expoure

SirGarny 2017-07-16 23:33:35 

In reply to Pacy

particularly with so many practice matches.

The final 11 should be really interesting....I'd be curious to see how Blackwood is handled.

thefacts 2017-07-17 00:18:23 

SQUAD
Jason Holder (Captain), Kraigg Braithwaite (Vice Captain), Devendra Bishoo
Jermaine Blackwood, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins
Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer
Kyle Hope, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph
Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.

There are 8 Bajans & 2 Dotties in there.

1 - Tittie and 1-Yardie.

Food for Thought.

mikesiva 2017-07-17 04:24:35 

In reply to mittheimp

Moeen Ali was man of the match at Lords.

In the Saffer second innings, Ali and Dawson took half of the ten wickets that fell.

Maharaj took three wickets in the England first innings.

Andy99 2017-07-17 09:36:16 

Cornwall is a MAIN spinner, that he can bat, perhaps as an allrounder is a bonus.
But he is a spinner first, that is the role he has performed for Leewards and WI-A teams.

Cummins is ah shytehound.....and just like Miller, he performs in regional, 4day cricket that is, not One Dayers where is pick cannot be justified.

analyst-kid 2017-07-17 11:33:22 

You guys are not fair re Cummins.

Along with his regional stats, Cummins has experience performing in English conditions and he has the ability to swing the ball both ways at pace. Outswingers, inswingers,inswinging yorkers are all in his arsenal.

To go to England without a swing bowler and Cummins is your incumbent is ridiculous.

imusic 2017-07-17 13:06:05 

In reply to analyst-kid

lol lol

londoner 2017-07-17 13:28:31 

In reply to Controversy
Cummins? why in God's name is this guy in the Squad? where is Evan Lewis? Powell is another one. Browne don't his left foot from his right.

openning 2017-07-17 18:20:20 

In reply to Fivestar

Let me be blunt, this is not a very good squad and we will be defeated by England. There is a truce so it is my hope in future we will mix youth with experience and try to win cricket games. The other teams try to put their best foot forward. It is time we try to do the same.

Would you select experience, base on T20 performance?

dayne 2017-07-21 14:51:27 

In reply to londoner
The Guyanese pacer Keon Joseph should have been given a chance since he had a good local season, but I think Cummins will be effective in England, he has some pace and he could swing the ball, also he is selected to cover for the often injured Gabriel and Roach.

Cornfused 2017-07-21 17:29:41 

We all hope for any team to be competitive but in the last year or so, if you were from Barbados it gives you an advantage over a player from other countries. Men calling for Brooks, Kyle Hope has done what to deserve selection, have the right passport or nationality?

Anyway England expects a poor team to be coming from the West Indies they have shortened to series to three games.