The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Young WI Cricketers Rocked Trench Town, JA

Slipfeeler 2017-07-15 15:04:38 

Just ahead of their nine-wicket victory over India in their one-off Twenty20 international at Sabina Park on Sunday, members of the West Indies team visited Boys' Town to host a workshop for a group of aspiring cricketers.
The players were local star Rovman Powell, Kesrick Williams, Kyle Hope, Miguel Cummings, Ashley Nurse and Sunil Ambris who used the opportunity to tour the Culture Yard of Reggae icon Bob Marley, also situated in the Trench Town community.
Powell and his teammates shared their stories and imparted knowledge to a group of 15 young cricketers, aged 12-15, some of whom are currently representing Boys' Town in the Under-13 Cricket League.
“I started playing cricket to make a name for myself and I'm just a young man from St Catherine. So I wanted to help encourage these young men and show them that they can also do the same, once they put in the work that is necessary to fulfil their potential,” said Powell, the fast-rising Jamaican sensation.
After addressing the group, the players then took to the field to assist the youngsters in understanding the various facets of the game during a quick friendly contest.
Taje Ellis, one of the promising talents that attended the workshop, was especially delighted to meet his role models Miguel Cummings and Keswick Williams.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/trench-town-rocked-as-windies-stars-interact-with-young-cricketers_104689?profile=1511&template=MobileArticle

Slipfeeler 2017-07-15 15:13:06 

I now have much respect for the youngsters, lead by example!