The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

No love for Roger Federer....

Devin 2017-07-16 13:10:27 

on the MB?

Forget greatest tennis player of all time, he's in the discussion of greatest athlete of all time.

doosra 2017-07-16 13:14:13 

In reply to Devin

greatest athlete?

how so?

imusic 2017-07-16 13:20:34 

In reply to Devin

Privileged to have seen this great in action. Long may he play on and stay injury free

Devin 2017-07-16 13:44:08 

In reply to doosra

Why is Muhammad Ali considered one of the greatest athletes of all time? Why is Michael Jordan?

Devin 2017-07-16 14:17:43 

What are some of the physical attributes required to be a great tennis player?

Speed, quickness, exceptional movement, both north and south and laterally. Power, strength, endurance and stamina. Phenomenal hand-eye coordination, physical dexterity, flexibility. Tennis epitomizes what athletic excellence is all about.

At an early age Federer had to make a decision regarding which path he would pursue; Soccer or Tennis. Obviously he must have been a fairly talented soccer player. Watching Federer play, I can tell that he's either excellent at squash, if he plays, or he most certainly would be. I've always said that Tennis is the foundation of racquet sports. If you are proficient in tennis, then the odds are that you're more than competent in other racquet sports such as Squash, Badminton, and Table Tennis.

Which other sports did Ali or Jordan excel in? Jordan loved baseball and he gave it a shot. He stunk. I'm not even sure if he's any good at golf, but given the amount of time and money he's spent on the sport, he should be a scratch golfer.

Which sports outside of boxing did Ali excel in? Is there any evidence that Ali was good at sports?

Have you seen most NFL or NBA players attempt to play tennis? They look like they've never played sports a day in their lives.

Devin 2017-07-16 14:50:01 

In reply to imusic

Absolutely. It truly is a privilege.

WestDem 2017-07-16 15:18:54 

In reply to Devin

By a distance he is the GOAT, he did not just won, he massacre de Croatian! Just won my second lunch in this Wimbledon! cool

Devin 2017-07-16 15:27:23 

In reply to WestDem

Didn't even drop a set to win the tournament. In fact, he didn't drop a set at the warm-up tournament(Halle) before Wimbledon either.

DAVE400 2017-07-16 15:53:03 

boy...that backhanded drop shot today was awesome...

Devin 2017-07-16 16:50:17 

In reply to DAVE400

Everything he does is awesome. If he shanks a ball, it looks good. If he swings and misses, it looks good.

steveo 2017-07-16 17:20:16 

Best sequence of the day for me was the back hand winner...

Hit a hard back hand, Cilic volleyed it right back, Federer caught the volley and sent another vicious backhand screaming past Cilic

Winner!

DAVE400 2017-07-16 18:52:10 

In reply to steveo

Fed's backhands all day were awesome...

You know, this achievement by Federer is one of the greatest ever in sport...you would have expected more appreciation on this MB...

But accolades here are reserved for the Jamaica sprinters, Lewis Hamilton, the Williams sisters Monfil, Tiger Woods and so on...

Pride in your own is one thing but to the point where true greatness is ignored is downright fcuking close-minded man.

Khaga 2017-07-16 19:06:18 

In reply to DAVE400

We are lucky to be witnessing history being made..this Renshaw was just a name that was seen every year when Wimbledon happens..for Sampras to equal him was a monumental.
For Federer to make the mark his own 5 years after his last win..we are just lucky to witness history being made..
For me,he is not only the GOAT in tennis,GOAT of all sports..

WestDem 2017-07-16 19:12:15 

In reply to Khaga

Agree! lol lol lol

Devin 2017-07-16 20:43:02 

Some video highlights:

Link Text

The two things that stood out right from the get-go:

1. Federer was dialed in right from the start after a somewhat scratchy match against Berdych in the semi-finals.

2. The brilliance of Federer's return game and the ease with which he was able to return Cilic's first serves.

Devin 2017-07-16 20:43:27 

In reply to Khaga

Well said.

Devin 2017-07-16 20:47:19 

My favourite point of the Wimbledon final:

Link Text

steveo 2017-07-16 21:10:40 

In reply to DAVE400

I too have noticed the bias, i hope we can look past skin color to appreciate each other. Scientifically there is no such thing as race.

Khaga 2017-07-16 21:43:57 

In reply to Devin

Doosra is either provoking a discussion which brought out one of the best posts ever on this MB when you articulated Federer's game, or doosra is afraid to acknowledge Federer because Federer is not on the sanctioned list of greats to be celebrated on here..

The list of celebrated non-WI greats on this MB in no particular order

Ali,Jordan,Woods,Bolt,Serena,Hamilton..

Hue are we to question!

Devin 2017-07-16 23:23:37 

In reply to Khaga

Hue are we to question!

Ouch. big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

If I ever meet Doosra, I'll shake his hand and then kick him in his teeth.

Khaga 2017-07-16 23:43:04 

In reply to Devin

I would offer some nuts supplements..

Khaga 2017-07-16 23:49:22 

In reply to Devin

Do you think there was a thread on Sachin when he scored his 100 100s? Plenty of these rassholes were giggling when he spent some time on 99..No fcuking West Indian of any hue will score 100 international 100s..

deanjones 2017-07-17 00:19:43 

In reply to Khaga

100 100s and people would still prefer to see Viv or Lara over him.

Khaga 2017-07-17 00:21:14 

In reply to deanjones

Black Nzais..

Devin 2017-07-17 03:11:44 

In reply to deanjones

Yeah, but there are also people who'd rather see Pooper or Samwells over Kohli.

Devin 2017-07-17 03:12:34 

In reply to Khaga

I would offer some nuts supplements..

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

ponderiver 2017-07-17 03:15:28 

In reply to Khaga

No fcuking West Indian of any hue will score 100 international 100s..
hue cares

in spite of all the hue and cry....no forking indian batsman will ever break Lara's 501 ,400 and 375 .

For the record Federer is my favourite tennis player of all time he is a class act.

The Brown sahibs and the poison dwarf act as if they invented ... the Fed ........deep down they dream that he is one of them and with the chip on both shoulders try to brag vicariously through him.

we of the diaspora know sporting greats ,we dont need to be told or need to start a thread to register our acknowledgement.

As a Final this was not an epic, it was as one sided as when Virat battered courtney brungs XI for a ton in the recent one dayers or as one sided as when Lewis destroyed the pride of india in the recent 20/20

I am not a waggonist for the williams sisters , though i admire and respect their achievements...... my support is not unconditional ,all that changed the day their father was reduced to a mere walk on part in their story.

I was never a big fan of Woods. Hue couldn't fail to notice how his zen like concentration and early success was attributed to his asian ethnicity, even Woods believed it too.......... He only became truly one of us when he was clubbed to bits by a scandinavian blonde....... so much for golden showers

Finally no west indian captain will ever wave the white flag at Eden Gardens ........we know ,hue cares

NineMiles 2017-07-17 04:43:37 

In reply to DAVE400

But accolades here are reserved for the Jamaica sprinters, Lewis Hamilton, the Williams sisters Monfil, Tiger Woods and so on...

Didn't realise congratulating Lewis Hamilton got on your tits so much Endsie! razz

On the thread I started yesterday after Lewis' historic record equaling achievement, only Powen acknowledged it so not sure why it bothers you!

BTW, I did congratulate the Fed on Chrisy's "Cilic doing a Fed and bawling like a baby" thread. Didn't think I needed to do the same here so just chill. We all have our preferences and I certainly don't see you praising the likes of Lewis, the Williams sisters etc on this very board!

DAVE400 2017-07-17 08:18:59 

In reply to NineMiles

I have never given a fcuk about the "sport" of motor racing.

And I ain't throw now stones in your garden...

You and imusic always throw in your congrats when needed (EPL excepted).

NineMiles 2017-07-17 08:21:29 

In reply to DAVE400

That's fine Endsie, but don't be bothered if others do!

Devin 2017-07-17 09:14:51 

In reply to ponderiver

I thought Wondies abandoned a tour because they knew they were about to receive a stiff cut-ass. Isn't that waving a white flag?

For all the flag waving business of 1823 Sabina Park, Wondian players are now kissing Indian ass for a lil raise. Look how far the white flag got you.

Tryangle 2017-07-17 09:53:20 

I would agree that Federer is the GOAT in tennis. Longevity, number of Slams, tournament wins, all of that.

As far as being part of the Greatest Athletes, Any Sport edition... sure, put him in the conversation. If you want to ask how good he'd be in other sports, it stands to reason he could be an above-average distance runner, may have the attributes to do well in other racquet sports, likely would be decent at football. And, even with an extremely strong rival in Nadal, there were times where R-Fed was head-and-shoulders above his peers.

The major argument against him could be, does he transcend sport, the way that a Pele or Muhammad Ali did. R-Fed is nearly globally liked, no doubt. He does tours and speaking engagements. He has a global reach.

Devin 2017-07-17 10:33:07 

In reply to Tryangle

Good post. He is one of the most popular and beloved athletes of all time. Easily.

I don't think people can grasp just how loved the man truly is.

I see many of his supporters painting their faces in Swiss colours, yet they are not swiss. The amount of top 10 videos about him on youtube is absolutely mind-boggling.