The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Roger Federer as religious experience...

Devin 2017-07-19 11:45:00 

Video: Link Text

"If you've never seen [Roger Federer] play live, and then do, in person, on the sacred grass of Wimbledon, ... you are apt to have what one of the tournament's press bus drivers describes as a "bloody near-religious experience." It may be tempting, at first, to hear a phrase like this as just one more of the overheated tropes that people resort to to describe the feeling of Federer Moments. But the driver's phrase turns out to be true — literally, for an instant ecstatically." -- David Foster Wallace, from the special to New York Times' Play Magazine, "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"

"To bear witness ... is to evoke some sort of spiritual experience that occurs only a handful of times in a lifetime - if you're lucky. To try to describe the way Federer plays tennis is like trying to describe how Nureyev danced or Heifetz played the violin. Common words or images cannot do justice." --The Age

"Part of the pleasure of the Federer experience comes from watching people watch him. On Sunday, a spectator is propelled by awe out of his seat when confronted by a short cross-court forehand that lands and runs almost parallel to the net. Later, a fellow simply bows in Federer's direction, as if applause is an unsatisfactory response. ... Some sigh, exhale, cry "Oh my God". It is an opera of exclamation. Cynics who believe they have seen everything need to watch Federer. ... How, how, we ask, as if mind is still disputing what the eyes have seen. With other players, even in other sports, we sometimes see their shots as beautiful, we wish we could play like that. With Federer we accept almost that we can never play like that, his shots arrive from another dimension, it is too much to wish for."

David Foster Wallace on Federer:

Link Text

imusic 2017-07-19 12:54:41 

In reply to Devin

I have to agree with this

I had a similar experience when he played Nadal earlier this year at Indian Wells.

It WAS Church. And not....I don't wanna be here kind of church. But HALLELUJAH...GOD ALMIGHTY Church!

And even the Nadal supporters.....and there were TONS in that Stadium....were spellbound and awestruck.

This is no exaggeration.

imusic 2017-07-19 13:07:45 

In reply to Devin

I now watch the video

Poor James Blake was like he pussonal bobolee

James Blake with Dreads

James Blake with hair

Baldhead James Blake

nuh matter.....pure embarrassment lol lol

Devin 2017-07-19 13:57:18 

In reply to imusic

big grin big grin big grin smile big grin big grin

Blake and Roddick used to get it real bad. I'm trying not to think about him retiring, but I have this sneaky feeling he may well do so at the end of the year. Especially if he wins the US Open. He'd literally be going out on top.

If I had to bet money, I'd say that he'll play one more year. Ideally, I would like to think he'd give his fans and the tennis community a heads up at the start of the season that this will be his last.

The thing is, you just don't know when that time will come when you wake up one morning and you just don't feel like doing it anymore.