The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Local Players Who've Impressed Me Thus Far (CPL)

CricketLuva4 2017-08-16 09:32:48 

Leaving out tried and tested current/ex WI players (Polly, Fletch, etc)....as well as solid performers at regional level for years (Cooper, Jacobs, etc).

Khary Pierre - good fielder and tidy left arm spin (what happened to that chap Derone Davis?).
Gajanand Singh - good urgency at the crease for a guy who has had a plagued cricket career.
Andre McCarthy - that 61* was the best innings in the tournament so far IMO.
Akeal Hosein - pretty useful bowling allrounder IMO, gives it a wack.
Odean Smith - Clocking 140kph is nothing to sneeze at for a 20 year old, hope he can hit those yorkers considering he bowls in the middle overs.
Roshon Primus - Gives it a huge wack, and bowls a heavy ball. Reminds me of a less refined Kallis. Hope he takes his game and fitness seriously.

Hope to see a bit more from Keemo Paul and Shamar Springer, the talent is there.

methodic 2017-08-16 09:45:00 

In reply to CricketLuva4

good choices and analysis

Jabari18 2017-08-16 09:56:57 

In reply to CricketLuva4

Hosein striking surprised me. Can hit it as far as Pooran

Andy99 2017-08-16 10:05:23 

In reply to Jabari18

Either he's been lucky or he's put in the work in the gym because up until last year he didn't have much power.

analyst-kid 2017-08-16 10:18:27 

WI need these players ESP in ODIs though...they seemed well served with a powerful developing bench in T20s.

If we can get McCarthy, Primus and Singh performing well in List A, it bodes WI well.

Andy99 2017-08-16 10:26:51 

McCarthy should've already been near the ODI squad before this CPL, he only enhancing his rep.

Primus seems like one to fast track, atleast A team.

Mayers on the under hand has not been impressive with his opportunities while Cornwall despite playing has not been given his fair share to show his worth which is disappoint.

CricketLuva4 2017-08-16 10:28:10 

In reply to Andy99

Will be compiling a list of disappointments too. razz

Andy99 2017-08-16 10:30:30 

In reply to CricketLuva4

Ambris on that list, that he hasn't gotten an opportunity, sorry for going off topic. big grin

CITYBOY 2017-08-16 10:55:35 

Hola..that Brooks fella and Beaton have good vibes too.
Adios
CB

doosra 2017-08-16 11:01:17 

In reply to CricketLuva4

great call

Kemo looked good in parts with his bowling. he needs some performance together...

openning 2017-08-16 11:35:01 

In reply to analyst-kid

You really looking at the T20 format, to select players to ODI?
Have you seen any of the youngsters bowled their 6-10 overs, have you seen any of the batsman batted for 25-40 overs?
I prefer to looked at their Region 50 overs competition, than the CPL.

analyst-kid 2017-08-16 12:34:37 

In reply to openning

Primus has good stats in the four day...McCarthy in the one day.

In fact Primus single handedly beat Barbados in that day/night pink ball match playing for Trinidad earlier this year.

Link Text

Primus woulda jump England...lol

openning 2017-08-16 12:45:14 

In reply to analyst-kid

Dude, Primus is too green to be selected for any International team, please give him time to get ripe.
The guys in Bim, you should be looking at, are Stoute and Greaves.
Greaves scored a ton last 4-day regional, and is benched when the stars are home
As I said earlier, these T20 performance is for T20, nothing more, nothing less.

Kid, Primus and Reifer are aware of the Bajan players, they performance against The Pride is no surprise to me.
You get so excited with a player after seven, first class games, give me a break.

tc1 2017-08-16 12:49:17 

In reply to openning

Stoute and Greaves do not have the talent to go the distance, The Kid is right on about Primus.

openning 2017-08-16 12:51:16 

In reply to tc1

Again you are talking nonsense, at this time.
You must be a gambler.

tc1 2017-08-16 12:54:47 

In reply to openning

let see how it plays out.

openning 2017-08-16 12:58:18 

In reply to tc1

That's a better response, because both Stoute and Greaves are proven players at the regional and local levels.
Primus is now starting.

natty_forever 2017-08-16 13:13:24 

In reply to openning... he did add lol, so you should lighten up a bit.

natty_forever 2017-08-16 13:14:29 

I have come to realize Bajans have no sense of humour. NONE!, check them out on the MB. lol

tc1 2017-08-16 13:40:49 

In reply to openning

Stoute peaked years ago on the English tour, Greaves is a gentle medium pacer like Holder, Carlos, and Springer.

imusic 2017-08-16 13:49:02 

In reply to natty_forever

lol

analyst-kid 2017-08-16 15:37:00 

Primus might very well end up with a big T20 contract somewhere.

Very few allrounders can really bat and bowl at a 140kph and take wickets.

methodic 2017-08-16 15:40:46 

In reply to openning

Stoute and Greaves, serious! At least tc1 looking for a little bit of talent. Emrit better than the two ah dem and I ain't calling for Emrit.

seaegg99 2017-08-16 16:00:02 

In reply to analyst-kid

Agree with you Primus is the only one that is consistently performing. Stoute is a good little player but not a match winner. He will have good days but not dominant days. Primus like Cornwall need to get their fitness together. Greaves is too gentle with his bowling.

analyst-kid 2017-08-16 16:23:37 

In reply to seaegg99

INASMUCH as opening disregards T20 cricket....Primus avg 39.11 batting and 16.95 bowling FC after 7 matches in the four day....if he returns later this year and MAINTAINS these same averages...he will be challenging for a test berth.

voiceofreason 2017-08-16 16:51:37 

In reply to openning

The guys in Bim, you should be looking at, are Stoute and Greaves.

What have they done regionally? Not schoolboy or Bim domestic league please.

openning 2017-08-16 16:53:12 

In reply to analyst-kid

Kid. Primus played only seven regional matches, why not watch and see how he is doing, later this year?
Young Greaves is smart, to get out of Barbados and play league cricket in England, Kevin should do the same.
BTW, I've watched and followed Primus by way of Wanderers live feed, via Ustream and Totalcricket, he is a good young talent, he and Searles are playing cricket during the TTCB and the BCA seasons.

openning 2017-08-16 16:57:03 

In reply to voiceofreason

Dude, I am not promoting Stoute or Greaves to the West Indies team.
I am saying to Kid and tc1, that these two, has more regional experience than Primus, one being the captain and the other scoring a century last year.
The Leewards, can benifit, by drafting any of them.

lol lol

seaegg99 2017-08-16 16:57:54 

In reply to openning

So you are saying that he cannot be looked at as a young player on the come? Some develop their game at a faster pace than others. Stoute is limited and Greaves is also. Greaves need to put much more into his bowling.

Though the thread was about players who have impressed?

openning 2017-08-16 17:13:33 

In reply to seaegg99

I am not saying that he cannot get better, but seven matches, is not a bench mark.
I've had similar discussion with Imusic, when Kraigg and Justin was playing at the U-19 level, Imusic at that time,believe Justin was the best youngster in Barbados, even when I posted the number of tons, Kraigg was scoring in bim, regional and internation U-19 levels.
If an allrounder cannot score tons at the local level, it will be harder for him to score at the Regional, and almost impossible at the International level.
Both Stoute and Greaves, are in and out of the Pride squad, they not only scored tons at the BCA level, one has three and the other his first, last 4-day tournament.

Though the thread was about players who have impressed?

T20 club cricket, shows me very little of a player.

sudden 2017-08-16 17:18:46 

In reply to openning

i am impressed with Jimbo even though he is a bench warmer. how can a man so weighty be able to sit on such a tiny bench with no discernible posterior issues?

Drapsey 2017-08-16 17:20:48 

In reply to openning

My observation:

While the lead post did not limit the candidates for discussion to any particular team nor nationality, you appear to have confined your discussion to players emanating from BIM.

Are those the only players you watch?

Drapsey 2017-08-16 17:22:43 

In reply to sudden

i am impressed with Jimbo even though he is a bench warmer. how can a man so weighty be able to sit on such a tiny bench with no discernible posterior issues?

I'm surprised at such a comment coming from you.

... I just ducked.

openning 2017-08-16 17:30:46 

In reply to Drapsey

My response is to kid's post, I've already said T20 performance is not my bench mark.

Drapsey 2017-08-16 17:48:12 

In reply to openning

Sorry, I should've first read the entire thread.

analyst-kid 2017-08-16 18:21:36 

and all Im saying should ever this guy Primus MAINTAINS the batting, bowling averages and his pace after about 15-20 FC matches WI selectors will have no choice but to pick him.

WI can ill afford to ignore a youngster who bowls with pace and has a FC avg of near 40.

tc1 2017-08-16 19:48:58 

In reply to voiceofreason

What

hat have they done regionally? Not schoolboy or Bim domestic league please.

Stoute and Greaves are top performers in 4 and OD regionals, just as good or better than Cornwall, but Primus is more talented than any of the present crop of all rounders.

tc1 2017-08-16 20:00:52 

In reply to openning

u missing the point, we are not stating that Stoute and Greaves are not performing at the local and regional level, both are gentle medium pacers. On the other hand, Primus is near 140 kph and has great technique as a batsman.

A couple of years, there was an article questioning why he has left off the Bim u19 squad as he was one of the better bats in Bim. he was primarily a batsman until 3 years ago.

There is talent on this kid.

sgtdjones 2017-08-16 21:35:26 

In reply to Drapsey

I'm surprised at such a comment coming from you.

... I just ducked.

He is speaking from experience girth and posterior issues.
You should have asked if he can see his toe ?. You may have to
explain what a toe is since he may have never seen his ?

razz razz razz razz

openning 2017-08-16 21:38:17 

In reply to tc1

Dude, I look at performance history, Thats why I have been a fan of Kyle Hope and Kraigg Brathwaite
Its not how one look or how fast he bowl.
Primus had a good first year at the regional level, lets see his performance this year.
This is what I like to look at, when I hear, fans speaking of players.

Roshon Primus

The youngster is smart to play cricket for TTCB and the BCA.
Yannic Cariah is doing the same, he is playing for Pickwick this year.

seaegg99 2017-08-16 22:03:35 

In reply to openning

How many matches or seaeons Fidel played for BIM. No one s calling for a test shot for the youth right now. Still though, the youth is talented.

openning 2017-08-16 22:16:06 

In reply to seaegg99

I was against Fidel selection from day one, that was a buddy selection.
I've never been a fan of him or Tino.
What has Fidel done in his career that you should bring him up, is he a Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Dessie Haynes, that you would want to reference him?
Primus may become one of the greatest, but his resume is now getting started.
I always remember, Colin Blades, he was the going to be next Nurse or Sir Everton, listening to every youngster who liked him, and I was one of them.
Jamaica had one of the best young openers, who outscored Gayle at the regional level, he never moved on to the International level.
Another Jamaican who we all assume would make it, was Marshall
Ambris is the cricketer, we should be talking about

tc1 2017-08-16 23:45:44 

In reply to openning

I was against Fidel selection from day one, that was a buddy selection.
I've never been a fan of him or Tino.
What has Fidel done in his career that you should bring him up, is he a Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Dessie Haynes, that you would want to reference him?

Fidel is one of the best fast bowlers we had since Marshall, only Ambi and Walsh surpassed him :
165 wk in 55 test is not chopped liver, including 12 fivers. he had no support and held licks, but when he was on, he was dangerous.
he had 330 fc wickets @30

seaegg99 2017-08-17 08:52:19 

In reply to openning

You was against Fidel because numbers dictate your selection policy. Some peoples game is more geared for different levels. I was a big Odell Beckum fan in college yet he didn't get many balls thrown his way because his team was more predicated on the running game. His talent though was there. When the NY Giants drafted him I had the same kind of discussion with Giant fans in the chat. Yet now you can see the translation of his game on the pro level that was hidden on the college level. Some people have it and some don't. Primus just needed the exposure and in Bim it would have been limited because Stoute and the like are the name brand. Glad the youth and K. Hope got a look elsewhere.

How can you not a fan of Fidel? Tino and Fidel are two different players. Why lump them together? Fidel's, like JT's, only drawback was their size for the rigors of fastbowling.

openning 2017-08-17 12:00:58 

In reply to seaegg99

It seems you have not learned anything about West Indies cricket, in the last 25 years, and continue spinning the dice, on who will go on to be a good International player.
Being around a number of college football players, who played in the CFL, it is very difficult for me, to compare the programs that develop American players to the development of a West Indian cricketer.
BTW, check the Running back coach of the Miami Dolphins, we have spent many Monday nights, watching football.

mikesiva 2017-08-17 12:23:18 

CPL should only be used to determine places in the West Indies T20 side. I'm sure that's what the players in the OP would prefer too.

They'd rather be in the West Indies T20 side than the Windies ODI side right now....

cool
I'd also like to throw in the name of Brandon King, who's been looking promising for St Kitts. He needs to learn to catch, though...like so many fielders in the CPL.

I hope Shamar Springer gets more games for Barbados, because he took three wickets in his only outing this season so far.