The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Would you wait for official warning

black 2017-09-05 15:50:38 

if you knew this dangerous storm was heading in your direction?

ray 2017-09-05 17:24:14 

here we go again lol

doosra 2017-09-05 17:29:46 

In reply to black

would u leave all your property and walk away?

doosra 2017-09-05 17:30:20 

Who can walk away?

And to where??

birdseye 2017-09-05 18:31:49 

In reply to doosra

I would pack all me belongings in mi grip and leave town lol

doosra 2017-09-05 18:32:18 

In reply to birdseye

well you can even just fly away big grin

black 2017-09-05 18:35:53 

In reply to doosra

Property can be replaced, lives cannot.

Kay 2017-09-05 19:22:08 

In reply to black
this was the question man....

Now give an honest and proper answer...

black 2017-09-05 19:30:14 

In reply to Kay

Hell yes.
What good is property when you are dead?

POINT 2017-09-05 23:50:24 

In my opinion that depends on the Structure of the house or building that You are living in , eg, is the House made out of Wood ,Cement Block,
Concrete & Steel , or is capable of withstanding Hurricanes .

The Type of Roofs are also important , Aluminum ; Concrete ; Tiles etc . Another consideration is whether the house is equipped with Hurricane Shutters .

Very Important also is the site of the House ,and regarding whether it
is in an area where Floods frequently occur . Drainage is also important . In an era where the sea level is rising , I would dissuade anyone contemplating buying or building a House in the Tropics prone to Hurricanes .

Many of the people in Houston did not have Flood Insurance , some perhaps
did not think it necessary , others probably could not afford it .

My take is that due to Global Warming
which Spawns Hurricanes ; Typhoons etc must be an important Factor when
considering , building , or buying a
House .

The stark Truth is that these days ,
regardless of where One lives , WE will be subjected to various Climate inconveniences , caused by Global Warming .

black 2017-09-06 07:02:06 

In reply to POINT

Those are good points but do you want to take a chance in a hurricane with 185mph winds?

powen001 2017-09-06 08:28:28 

In reply to black

185 is waay too dangerous to play with.

already told wifey one car stays and we drive together as a family out of there if that were us.

Move early...and buy nuff water and extra petrol too and leave before...

Worst case scenario...nothing horrible happened and we can simply drive back home.

POINT 2017-09-06 11:50:39 

In reply to black

It all depends on the Structure of the house , If it is Concrete or cement blocks reinforced with steel rods , and has Hurricane Shutters , on all windows and a Clay tile Roof ; and not situated in a Flood Area , that Structure , the occupants should survive .

Please bear in mind that when Hurricanes come ashore in Countries that have Tall Structures etc they are impeded by those Structures & Other Natural & Man made Obstacles so that the ultimate force of the winds will be less than 185 mph .

Ewart 2017-09-06 12:03:15 

In reply to birdseye

I would pack all me belongings in mi grip and leave town...

Some years ago, maybe about 12, I was getting ready to leave Ja for Canada after a holiday only to find that my grip had been damaged beyond usefulness.

I walked into Lee's on Constant Spring Road and asked the nice lady I saw to point me to where I could find grips.

She paused a moment, bit her tongue, smiled sweetly and said, "the suitcases are over there sir."

I could not help smiling myself as I thanked her.

//

black 2017-09-06 12:30:54 

In reply to POINT

Well, Florida have a lot of tall buildings and people are evacuating.

black 2017-09-06 12:32:21 

In reply to Ewart

Yeah, that grip thing went out about 50 years ago. lol

powen001 2017-09-06 12:40:09 

In reply to black

De Grip comment kill me dedd! big grin

pelon 2017-09-06 12:47:53 

Black, that question has a different answer if you are on an island or the mainland like say Florida.

Posters here give you a hard time for some of your questions, but I always have found them to be important. Though they appear superficial, they probe situations that need to be discussed.

If the option to evacuate exist AND the where you are evacuating to is safer - then yes. However Most times in our islands evacuation is dependent on the type of home you are in. In the US, almost ALL HOUSES are made of pinewood structure ( a fact that many in our region can't believe) and their integrity is not "hurricane ready"...

These timber structure homes in USA are NOT safe places - and in conclusion, if you live in one, and have the option to evacuate to a safe zone 1 -2 hours away by car... DO SO.

Again, the same dynamic is irrelevant in the Islands.

black 2017-09-06 12:57:33 

In reply to pelon

Ok, so the houses are more structurally sound than in U.S.? That is good news.

I get the part about limited evacuation space. lol

Sorry, I am Guyanese, we don't have to worry about such issues.

powen001 2017-09-06 13:29:52 

In reply to black

Black..

I honestly thought that it was common knowledge that in most instances that our Caribbean homes were better constructed than those in the US. big grin

mikesiva 2017-09-06 13:32:54 

In reply to pelon

Exactly. In 1988 when we survived hurricane Gilbert in Jamaica evacuation was never considered. The entire island was hit by the hurricane.

Dukes 2017-09-06 13:45:47 

In reply to Ewart

Many Guyanese think that "GRIP" is a Guyanese term but here you are confirming that it is not. The longer one lives, the more one is convinced that ALL AH WE AH ONE FAMILY!!!!! lol lol lol lol

POINT 2017-09-06 13:55:16 

I am not going anywhere , the structure of the house is not wood ,
it is reinforced Concrete Blocks .

ALL the Windows have Acordian Hurricane Shutters ; There are tall Trees around the House ; and the Roof
is covered with Clay Tiles , so are ALL the Roofs in the Community I live in . The Drainage is also very Good

BTW , I have not heard that any of
the People who live in the Community
are going to abandon their Houses and seek Shelter Elsewhere .

ALL the wiring & Electricity & COMCAST Internet & TV cables are underground . So WE shall see or hear what Ms IRMA has in store for South Florida .

POINT 2017-09-06 14:01:12 

In reply to Dukes

I believe that the word" Grip"is a word that was commonly used in the Caribbean .

My take is that with time that word has become archaic ; so that most people these days say Suitcase .

black 2017-09-06 14:01:24 

In reply to powen001

I know the US have strict codes for high-rise buildings, maybe the codes for houses are different.

pelon 2017-09-06 17:17:22 

In reply to black

The residential code is very ridged in US - unfortunately the code still accommodates pinewood everywhere.

16" centers, renforced with braces and straps at the joints, rafters strapped and braced etc.... unfortuantely for all of that is that PINE is soft and tornadoes and hurricanes make all that look like butter.

Those like POINT are the exception to have a concrete home in USA. 90% of all homes in usa start like this: LINK

powen001 2017-09-06 17:56:15 

In reply to pelon

Pelon... McGuyver aint want nothing with you...just saying. big grin

Chrissy 2017-09-06 18:37:10 

In reply to black

No

Chrissy 2017-09-06 18:38:49 

In reply to doosra

I have an acquaintance who packs her bag and heads for her sister the minute she hears a storm is coming.
Once you resolve whether life is more important than property, you get out of harm's way.

Chrissy 2017-09-06 18:40:30 

In reply to Ewart

Yuh Dulcimena? lol lol

black 2017-09-06 22:10:52 

In reply to pelon

Check out the aftermath destruction that DirtyDan posted.

Those houses might have been structurally sound but 185mph winds can cause serious destruction.

Ayenmol 2017-09-06 22:18:06 

In reply to pelon

90% of all homes in usa start like this: LINK

Yep....even in Tornado alley they do not require that homes be built with a bunker...crazy!

Feeds into consumerism mentality i guess.