The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Meet the man behind West Indies' resurgence

sgtdjones 2017-09-08 18:19:02 

Meet the man behind West Indies' resurgence

If the West Indies’ batting was reckless at Edgbaston, it was the polar opposite at Headingley as Stuart Law’s side caught England cold while romping to their first victory here in 17 years.

That they did was largely down to the application and grit of Kraigg Braithwaite and the youthful verve of Shai Hope, who became the first batsman in history to hit a century in both innings of a first-class match at the ground.

Watching on from the balcony at Leeds was Toby Radford, the West Indies batting coach, and a man for whom this week’s Test represents something of a homecoming. The Welshman spent two seasons as a player at Middlesex before returning to Lords, first as director of the county’s academy and then as first team coach.

Link Text

Walco 2017-09-08 18:38:50 

In reply to sgtdjones

If I didn't know better, I would cuss you for posting an article giving Toby Radford credit for the resurgence of West Indies batting after he allegedly just joined the team last year.

But I know better smile Toby Radford has been around the west Indies set-up for a long time Sergeant Jones. He was the coach at the High Performance Center, and after that center was closed down by Shit-for-Brains Tricky Dick Pybus, Radford join the senior team when both Gibson and Simmons were head coach. He left for England for a brief period of time, but resigned that position and returned to the West Indies promptly.

So Toby has been working with these young players for several years.

I hope you realize that our bowlers can now take 20 wickets in a match. Who gets credit for that?

sgtdjones 2017-09-08 18:49:03 

In reply to Walco

I enjoyed reading your response.
The objective of the thread was to get information
as you posted that some readers may not be aware of.

As I explained before I am keen on hearing the other side
it is how I learn.

This thread is about our bats.

I will dig up an interesting one on bowling and would appreciate
your comments.Thanks

cool

tc1 2017-09-08 19:33:50 

In reply to Walco

While I was in the UK last week, BBC reported that Shai was partly local/ home grown since he was schooled at St Bede in Sussex and coached by Alan Wells, many are taking credit for this batting resurgence.

What next?

BeatDball 2017-09-08 19:38:54 

In reply to Walco

smile big grin lol cool

XDFIX 2017-09-08 19:47:02 

In reply to tc1

While I was in the UK last week, BBC reported that Shai was partly local/ home grown since he was schooled at St Bede in Sussex and coached by Alan Wells, many are taking credit for this batting resurgence.

What next?

Hurricane Irma set to beat down Florida!

Cameron 2017-09-08 20:26:21 

The English can take credit for Shai if they want. Two sixth-form years cannot trump everything that preceded or followed, or the talent that had to be there in the first place. Viv spent time in Alf Gover's school.And Greenidge spent time in Hampshire. They can claim them as well.

embsallie 2017-09-08 20:30:27 

Strange. Haven't heard anything about Holder's bowling. I thought he was dead weight to some of you on this MB.
Holder is going to be one of the finest Capitan the West Indies have ever seen.

methodic 2017-09-08 20:42:30 

In reply to Walco

wasn't he the u 19 coach

Kay 2017-09-08 22:18:38 

Wow!!! West Indies and resurgence in the same sentence....

Scar 2017-09-08 22:41:46 

Since when winning one Test is a resurgence? Man we aint win a series for a while so where is yhis resurgence. KB bedn scoring tons since birth, Hope just score 2. When Shiv and Lara were scoring runs, or Shiv and Sarwan there was no resurgence. When WI did decent in India with Kirk, Powell, Shiv etc and still lost the series was no resurgence.
We over exuberrant over a Test win!?? Lets all wait till we win a series or two in one year before we blow those trumpets

Hendra 2017-09-09 08:13:16 

In reply to Scar
Agreed but encouraging signs nonetheless