The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

So, what is it that Shai.....

BeatDball 2017-09-09 17:32:49 

was doing that the rest of wi batsmen weren't? They are in the category/level/skill, ain't? Or does he stand out more? I didn't get to see shoite!
sad

Courtesy 2017-09-09 17:43:28 

In reply to BeatDball

Good question my man. Let me see if I can help you.

(i) He adjusted his batting stance (batted outside the crease to combat the moving ball...less chance to swing).

(ii) He played as late as possible with the bat movement and eye aligned to his off stump and did not follow the ball with his bat. It meant that if the ball swung in he had a defense to meet it. If if moved away...what the heck...next ball please.

(iii) He played with very soft hands.

(iv) When driving he got as close as possible to the pitch of the ball and employed a bent left knee.

(v) He was calm at the crease.

(vi) He was willing to work hard and learn.

(vii) He had that determination to succeed and improve his game.

(viii) He was humble...there was not a hint of arrogance from him.

(ix) His reflexes were excellent.

(x) He is very still at the crease.

(xi) He hardly plays the ball with the bat away from his body.

(xii) He is mentally tough.

Aligning your right eye to the off stump and not following the ball are keys to playing the moving ball.

BeatDball 2017-09-09 17:46:36 

In reply to Courtesy From the little that I have seen of him...he does have a calm disposition. Elucidate more on 'played with soft hands'...I have an idea, but reinforce it to me.
cool

Courtesy 2017-09-09 17:47:38 

In reply to BeatDball

He works extremely hard at his game.

BeatDball 2017-09-09 18:00:38 

Seems like you gone on a hiatus like everyone else! If you are still there...is it that he plays measured shots and is not tempted to go cowlashing? confused

BeatDball 2017-09-09 18:04:20 

Shucks! I read over your points! Numbers: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11! Facting dunce of me, right CMG?!
lol

Courtesy 2017-09-09 18:04:58 

In reply to BeatDball

lol lol lol

I added number 12.

BeatDball 2017-09-09 18:10:30 

In reply to Courtesy To think it's only 2 coors light I had. The usual for me on Saturday/Sunday!

lol

BeatDball 2017-09-09 18:17:21 

My 11yo boy wants his tablet! I can only come to the Rum Shop via my son's tablet/aunty's phone. I haven't completely reconcile with aunty, so when I leave for my apt. I am out! CC is facting with me...I can't log in on my phone! My backroom politics is tooooo right wing for them! What I gwine do? That's all.
sad evil twisted

Runs 2017-09-09 19:25:43 

I knew pretenders would be exposed in English condituons. cool

Mustwin 2017-09-09 19:43:05 

In reply to Courtesy Pretty comprehensive. Can you please advise on what Powell needs to do?

Nick40H 2017-09-09 19:46:54 

Nick40H 2017-09-09 19:47:53 

In reply to Courtesy In other words he batted like Shiv.

Ewart 2017-09-09 19:49:18 

In reply to Mustwin

Pretty much the same as the 12 points Courtesy listed above.

//

Courtesy 2017-09-09 19:56:32 

In reply to Mustwin

I think Tantemerle covered some of it in a post: The ball that got him out unlike what most people here think was not a difficult ball to play for even an average opener. He played the wrong line and did not push out far enough to cover the swing.

Powell plays half way and tries to drive on the up too early in his innings...anytime a ball moves late he will be in trouble. Driving on the up is for batsmen who are set and seeing the ball early and well.

Further he does not line up the ball on his off stump very well when the right arm bowler bowls from around the wicket so he is never too sure where his off stump is...and when the ball pitches on off and moves away he will be in trouble.

Root and the English think tank recognized this very early and worked him out.
In short, lack of proper technique.

I saw him very early in the Stanford T20 and he showed tremendous potential then...he did not play half way and cut the ball really well on the back foot. Some coach seriously messed up the man's game. He has regressed badly.

Follow my earlier post here on Shai Hope.

Courtesy 2017-09-09 20:01:24 

In reply to Nick40H

In other words he batted like Shiv.

Petty much so without the idiosyncratic trigger movement.

Mustwin 2017-09-09 21:58:24 

In reply to Courtesy
OK thanks.

powen001 2017-09-09 23:03:42 

In reply to Courtesy

see all that Courtesy?

Shai was hungry to win...unblemished and unmoved by self doubt.

Alll that you posted up there is evidence of his INTENT. and confidence to be of value.