The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Traffic chaos mars CPL final

sgtdjones 2017-09-11 10:31:00 

The jubilation over the T&T Knight Riders' victory in the 2017 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) final on Saturday night has been overshadowed by the traffic chaos as fans tried to get to the venue, the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in south Trinidad.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-11 10:32:23 

Some of those fans yesterday took to social media to complain bitterly about being trapped for hours in traffic gridlock and described the experience as "real hell."

One man, who identified himself only as Christopher, posted: "Two and a half hours and the Brian Lara Stadium is still way distant. The traffic is real hell. Eight overs into the game."

Thats terrible

Wha going on dong dey

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-11 11:34:47 

In reply to sgtdjones

Some of those fans yesterday took to social media to complain bitterly about being trapped for hours in traffic gridlock and described the experience as "real hell."

One man, who identified himself only as Christopher, posted: "Two and a half hours and the Brian Lara Stadium is still way distant. The traffic is real hell. Eight overs into the game."

Thats terrible

Wha going on dong dey

GREAT job by the people in charge who foresaw this issue and made plans to avoid it. lol lol lol lol

Andy99 2017-09-11 11:52:06 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

lol that is crazy tho.

Ppl turned out for the final and it seems parking was the issue but given the amount of free land all side of the stadium that should've never been an issue.

Cant travel there at night so 14,000 all coming in with their vehicles u looking at maybe 5000 vehicles.

granite 2017-09-11 12:41:14 

Everything's all new at the moment,give it some time and things will be ironed out,Andy99 also pointed out there's plenty land for car parking,I'm sure in a year or 2 it will be better.I get the feeling that Northerners are not too happy with the Stadium in South,they can't have everything in congested POS.QPO is over 100 years old,the BCL is just starting out life,time will see it as the best in the land.

sgtdjones 2017-09-11 20:30:08 

I get the feeling that Northerners are not too happy with the Stadium in South,they can't have everything in congested POS

Hmmmm could be?

Khaga 2017-09-11 22:14:38 

In reply to granite

Took 10 years to build the stadium..5 more years for parking?

bravos 2017-09-11 22:26:36 

I get the feeling that Northerners are not too happy with the Stadium in South,they can't have everything in congested POS

I think so too,also there's parking for 2000 cars in designated car parks around the stadium,also almost 1 km of two 2 lane highway is the entrance road to the compound (on the compound,the driveway actually),the problem was a bottleneck at the entrance..The highways were well signed with electronic boards giving directions and parking advice from all directions.

I'm surprised I didn't hear shuttles or water taxis mentioned,PTSC always involved in shuttling with their luxury coaches and work in tandem with the water taxis.

Some idiot fell asleep on the job.. The Academy seems to be the choice target for political assault,but it is here to stay and no longer the dinosaur the last Gov't left it to be.

Oh f@ck Rowley too for other similar things by the way,they play with people's lives with their political games on all sides...

bravos 2017-09-11 22:34:01 

More than enough space to filter traffic in and out. You'll see the massive road in and out also,where you'll see the motorbike man playing around in vid,you can also see that road actually bypasses the stadium back to the highway too further up after an obvious drop-off point on the left,when I passed a couple nights earlier I saw that feature closed though,I think that would've eased things up,teething problems I suppose.

So anyone saying there's no parking or adequate roads etc take a look for yourself and tell me if that's not an impressive layout,it was designed to be a big roundabout so traffic would always be moving no matter what,the place has it's own road network ffs! Clearly the original planners hadn't been consulted.

I think it's also an issue of everyone coming with their cars as Andy mentioned,the trini train plan would eventually take care of this too..

granite 2017-09-12 09:15:10 

In reply to bravos

Well thanks for all that info,I fell as you say,someone fell asleep.I am sure in future,with very big events to come we will see big improvements. cool

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 10:02:17 

In reply to Khaga

Took 10 years to build the stadium..5 more years for parking?

You had to comment eh!!!!!

So how come Hindia doh win on the road?

lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 10:04:38 

In reply to bravos

A few kinks in a new stadium, I am sure they will work things out.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

I am positive they would have partied all the way to their seats

lol lol lol lol

bravos 2017-09-12 10:21:51 

In reply to sgtdjones

Yup..

Check your link btw..

bravos 2017-09-12 10:21:59 

In reply to granite

cool

bravos 2017-09-12 10:23:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Oh an doh study khaga-hole,he cyar help but comment negatively on T&T affairs although he continues to overstay,all you have to do is call immigration on he..

Narper 2017-09-12 10:25:10 

In reply to Andy99

Cant travel there at night

You have to explain to a non-trini that 'travel' means taking a taxi big grin
Then you have to explain what taxi means in T&T...an established route...and taxi picks up and drop off on that route
wink

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 10:27:08 

In reply to bravos

Oh an doh study khaga-hole,he cyar help but comment negatively on T&T affairs although he continues to overstay,all you have to do is call immigration on he..

Oh gord me belly, thanks fer de laugh dis mawning.

lol lol lol

bravos 2017-09-12 10:47:55 

In reply to Narper

great spot!

'Travel' (Trini)= 'P2' (2 foot), maxi,bus,taxi,'ph' (men 'pulling bull' in their private car)

bravos 2017-09-12 11:02:50 

In reply to sgtdjones

Khaga-hole can do that to you... smile

DirtyDan 2017-09-12 11:08:23 

That explains low early attendance

bravos 2017-09-12 13:00:34 

In reply to DirtyDan

That's it too!!

Emir 2017-09-12 16:10:36 

In reply to bravos

big grin

Narper 2017-09-12 18:48:27 

In reply to bravos

men 'pulling bull'

yuh have to explain dat too big grin

bravos 2017-09-12 22:01:17 

In reply to Narper

That's what we call wukkin yuh private car for hire,to go up in de hole,up de hill behind de bridge and behind god back etc..they even buzz and jump the popular taxi stands till police chase them..in reality it's the 'PH' men that saves the day many times,but it's also risky if you don't know the car,people usually get to know the cars and drivers..

bravos 2017-09-12 22:05:03 

In reply to Emir

He's a nut job.. smile

Narper 2017-09-12 22:42:42 

In reply to bravos

You know I do know what pull bull is...

an illegal taxi driver; someone who picks up passengers for money without a taxi badge.

Do you know the origin of 'pull bull'?

POINT 2017-09-13 01:26:50 

In reply to sgtdjones

That is a classic case of Terrible Planning . Sure the Stadium is great , but if access to the Stadium is poor , and the Parking Facilities are inadequate , then the Stadium could easily become a White Elephant .

Frankly this is very Poor Planning , in my opinion , since access to the
Stadium was not adequately addressed . There can absolutely be no excuse for that Mess .

This has undoubtedly tarnished the Stadium , and must be swiftly addressed , otherwise the Stadium could possibly become a White Elephant .

bravos 2017-09-13 08:23:15 

In reply to POINT

Pal access and other infrastructure is good,there's even a layby road to merge back to highway, it was planning and comms..look at the vid ..

bravos 2017-09-13 08:24:29 

In reply to Narper

Think I heard it at one time or another..remind me..

Andy99 2017-09-13 10:48:40 

In reply to bravos

That's what we call wukkin yuh private car for hire,to go up in de hole,up de hill behind de bridge and behind god back etc..they even buzz and jump the popular taxi stands till police chase them..in reality it's the 'PH' men that saves the day many times,but it's also risky if you don't know the car,people usually get to know the cars and drivers..

Without PH, ppl from my village would be stranded. Probably 50% of taxis drivers in TNT is PH.

But as u say it can be risky, so its better to only go with PH u know from ur area, if u doh know d PH even if it have 'passengers' wait for an H car.

POINT 2017-09-13 13:02:08 

In reply to bravos

So what exactly caused the Problem ???
Please put up a link to the Video you have mentioned . Thanks in advance .

bravos 2017-09-13 22:45:06 

In reply to POINT

Just an aerial vid to give you an idea of the layout of support roads and parking and drop off facilities etc....

bravos 2017-09-13 22:52:38 

In reply to Andy99

Yeah PH saves the day,even in the hottest hotspots..

POINT 2017-09-13 23:02:29 

In reply to bravos

Thank You , so now tell us what precisely is the Problem ; because I get the impression , that there is a
Problem , that needs to be solved .

Perhaps you can name the Department ,or Persons that are or were responsible for this Mess .

openning 2017-09-14 13:56:12 

In reply to bravos

What was the difference this year to previous finals?
I was home for the 2007 WC, and was happy to leave my car, at The Lester Vaughan School, and took the bus, that was going to the Mecca.

Narper 2017-09-14 14:48:20 

In reply to bravos

1979 classic by Scrunter

Narper 2017-09-14 14:51:34 

In reply to bravos
Pull bull was really hard wuk in de day....man would scrunt to get a fare....just like literally pulling a bull
big grin

bravos 2017-09-14 22:37:47 

In reply to openning

The 'Mecca' is in the middle of the 'metropolis,Lara Academy is in the middle of sugar cane lands,but right where 'Trinitrain' gonna be passing in the future.. wink

bravos 2017-09-14 22:39:12 

In reply to Narper

Take de NUMBER...CAROL!!! I remember dat chorus line!

openning 2017-09-15 19:11:42 

In reply to bravos

but right where 'Trinitrain' gonna be passing in the future.

Trinitrain will not help, if 10,000 trinies think they all have to drive to the tournament.
I was happy to park my car at the school, and take the bus provided for the WC
BTW, two weeks ago I attended the PGA champion Shaw classic, on the Saturday and Sunday, everyone that was not a player or official had to park and take the buses provided for the tournament

bravos 2017-09-15 22:08:48 

In reply to openning

Such rules/incentives would be enforced and offered when facilities are available..

Many people park their cars and take the water taxis to POS and S'FDO...people will make use of good modern facilities..

bravos 2017-09-15 22:10:38 

In reply to POINT

Planning and Communications problem...in other words teething problems..