The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Climate change and hurricanes

black 2017-09-12 08:17:45 

I am not a climate change denier but how do we know that these recent string of hurricanes are not naturally occurring events?

Afterall, wouldn't the law of averages dictate that the size, frequency and location of these storms are going to change from time to time?

camos 2017-09-12 08:25:01 

In reply to black

and the melting of the icebergs?

black 2017-09-12 08:40:54 

In reply to camos

and the melting of the icebergs

Here

black 2017-09-12 11:38:25 

In reply to camos

I agree that some climate changes are happening but it's happening very slowly.

In fact, blaming everything on climate change is only going to give deniers more ammunition.

pelon 2017-09-12 11:47:22 

In reply to black

I am not a climate change denier but how do we know that these recent string of hurricanes are not naturally occurring events?

They are natural events.

Hurricanes are and will always be. What is different is the rate in which man has aided the WARMING of the planet, which then intensifies the systems and the natural order...

Understand that global warming is NOT CREATING HURRICANES. It is making the waters in the Atlantic and Pacific warmer... which has consequences.

I agree that some climate changes are happening but it's happening very slowly.
Then you are not looking at the wrong data.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-12 11:53:39 

In reply to pelon & black

To paraphrase Sheik......

Finite resources (Earth) to sustain an infinite need (as man's population continue to grow, therefore, food, water, shelter, etc are increasing), there is a price to pay for that.

HAHAHAHAHA

FUNNY AS FCUK!!!

black 2017-09-12 12:10:15 

In reply to pelon

Hurricanes are and will always be. What is different is the rate in which man has aided the WARMING of the planet, which then intensifies the systems and the natural order...

Understand that global warming is NOT CREATING HURRICANES. It is making the waters in the Atlantic and Pacific warmer... which has consequences.

When I say natural events, I am talking about events that are not influenced by other factors.

black 2017-09-12 12:27:21 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

Finite resources (Earth) to sustain an infinite need (as man's population continue to grow, therefore, food, water, shelter, etc are increasing), there is a price to pay for that.

Those resources are going to be replaced with new ones.

Man made.

Ninetenjack 2017-09-12 13:14:58 

In reply to black

The only thing we know about Climate Change for certain is that it's a great way to raise taxes.

black 2017-09-12 14:19:19 

In reply to Ninetenjack

The only thing we know about Climate Change for certain is that it's a great way to raise taxes.

And it's probably impossible to ensure compliance by all nations.

Norm 2017-09-12 14:42:47 

Still not a certainty, but is it wise for mankind to ignore it until it is clear?

Asteroids are another danger that is being ignored. One dose of that and the handful of survivors will be living in caves for a few hundred years, after which the new generations would believe they were the first "civilized" people, start new religions about the evil gods from the heavens, etc, talk over campfires about the magical times when people were telepathic (cell phones) and saw visions in bottles (TV), flew in metal ships, etc.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-12 14:51:28 

In reply to Norm

Asteroids are another danger that is being ignored. One dose of that and the handful of survivors will be living in caves for a few hundred years, after which the new generations would believe they were the first "civilized" people, start new religions about the evil gods from the heavens, etc, talk over campfires about the magical times when people were telepathic (cell phones) and saw visions in bottles (TV), flew in metal ships, etc.

And WHAT can/should we do about Asteroids? If, as you said, that happens and the new gen believe they are the first civilized people?.... Then so what? That's just how it will be..... we will all be gone. IT WON'T MATTER.... whether they are right, worng, or indifferent.....

What if the world was that way or better before mankind came here and now we think we are the first people to inhabit Earth?

See what I'm saying? It is what it is......

sudden 2017-09-12 14:53:11 

In reply to Norm

brilliant, mate. in my opinion that is exactly how it has been happening.

altho i believe that in one of those human survival iteration, humankind or some of them were indeed telepathic, whilst our iteration is technological / mechanical. just a matter of how we have progressed.

we never learn. we may be living in a time loop until we do something differently

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-12 14:57:06 

In reply to black

Those resources are going to be replaced with new ones.

Man made
Yes, but due to population on the constant increase, every "natural" and other mad-made disasters will be more and more catastrophic.

Things will be on the extremes.... Extremely GREAT and when things get bad... they will be EXTREMELY BAD.....

That will be the NEW WORLD soon enough....maybe!

black 2017-09-12 18:24:05 

They will just have to adjust their behaviors.

They (I won't be around) will do like China, one kid per family.

black 2017-09-12 18:30:16 

And WHAT can/should we do about Asteroids? If, as you said, that happens and the new gen believe they are the first civilized people?.... Then so what? That's just how it will be..... we will all be gone. IT WON'T MATTER.... whether they are right, worng, or indifferent....

Blow the asteroids up in space or nudge them off course.

I think I saw that on a nova or some other show.

Norm 2017-09-12 19:20:45 

Some countries, such as the US and Russia, have facilities for their leaders to attempt to survive a nuclear war.

We need similar facilities, strategically located, for the survival of both people (in limited numbers) and our civilization. We should not have to reboot and loose thousands of years of intellectual growth.

There will be issues in determining who and what to preserve. So we should start resolving that while there is time. Otherwise, the Earth might wind up being populated by millions of Trumps and Putins, for example!

Runs 2017-09-12 19:39:28 

In reply to Norm

Eugenics razz

Chrissy 2017-09-12 20:03:16 

In reply to camos

And the sea and ocean temperatures as well as the rising sea levels.

Of course there's another reason for hurricane devastation - building homes in places where they should never be built - river beds, swamps, bayous etc.

black 2017-09-12 20:07:23 

In reply to Chrissy

Of course there's another reason for hurricane devastation - building homes in places where they should never be built - river beds, swamps, bayous etc.

That, you are right about.

steveo 2017-09-12 20:12:25 

This is pertinent:I was an Exxon Funded Scientist

Chrissy 2017-09-12 20:25:09 

In reply to black

Then again from 1912