The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Racism in Politics and Canada

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 22:14:57 

Racism in Politics and Canada

Jagmeet Singh’s spotlight gets brighter ahead of NDP leadership vote

OTTAWA — Jagmeet Singh is no stranger to thinking on his feet — or to racism.

Now considered a top contender in the race to replace federal New Democratic Party Leader Tom Mulcair, Singh was a law student when he spotted two police officers cycling up the steep hill leading to Casa Loma, an imposing mansion-turned-museum in Toronto.

Curious as to whether they would be able to make it all the way up, Singh decided to watch their journey.

The police officers ended up approaching the young, brown-skinned man wearing a turban, told him he was staring, and demanded identification.

This incident, recounted to the Huffington Post, was not the first or only time Singh had been stopped by police, but it was a time when, educated and empowered by his legal studies, he said he informed the officers of his right to say no.

He walked away. It did not work.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 22:15:32 

there was something wrong

sgtdjones 2017-09-12 22:16:43 

learn French

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-09-12 23:30:59 

In reply to sgtdjones

Canada is not a "melting pot".

Canada is segmented by its many cultures

TheTrail 2017-09-13 19:04:43 

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

African Canadians have been telling them that for years.

nickoutr 2017-09-14 12:49:25 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan
liberal policies ... multicultural ... divide and rule ... use identity polotics