The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Zimbabwe tour dates??

clokey 2017-09-13 01:42:00 

Can anyone give me some dates on the Windies' next tour to Zimbabwe?

I'm hearing it's the next test matches the side will play, but no one is publishing the dates online - is it official?

Think it's a real pity that the test series against NZ is only 2 matches long - think it's a really exciting opportunity for this group to begin a very slow climb up the rankings.

mikesiva 2017-09-14 14:22:15 

In reply to clokey

Nothing...is it still going to take place?

EDIT:

There's this

"On Thursday, Taylor was released from his county deal with Nottinghamshire and recontracted by Zimbabwe Cricket. He is making his way to Harare where, after a 10-day break with family, he will join training camps for matches against Netherlands, Pakistan A and a two-Test series against West Indies in October."

Kay 2017-09-14 15:34:20 

What a tour to look forward to.....

Drapsey 2017-09-14 17:05:09 

In reply to Kay

What a tour to look forward to.....

Battle of the minnows?

Reminds me of only a few years back (before regional tournaments went pro.) when the Leewards played the Windwards.

mikesiva 2017-09-17 09:19:07 

In reply to Drapsey

Look wha' we come to, eh?

Given that both Samuels and Lil Bravo are signed up to Comilla Victorians in the BPL for November, I doubt either will be available for selection on this Test tour, depending on the dates, of course.

They're cutting it close. We're in the second half of September now.
confused

clokey 2017-09-18 21:08:39 

In reply to mikesiva

I'm looking ahead to the NZ 2-test series with some optimism and I think building more winning momentum in Zimbabwe is important to that.

Yeah, even Zimbabwe wink.

In the last 9 test matches against Pakistan away (then #1 in the world), Pakistan home (then #2 in the world) and England away (#3 in the world), the Windies' record is 3 wins, 6 losses.

I've gotta say - I've watched the Windies for a long time - I've seen many 'revivals', but this one we're watching now seems more real, because it has some sustainability about it, built on the back of young men who look like real test cricketers.

Should Holder's men do well in Zimbabwe and get two results, they will be 5-6 from the past 11 test matches heading into New Zealand and have a serious chance at upsetting the Kiwis and jumping in the rankings.

These things can snow ball - a jump in the rankings can lead to better fixturing. Better fixturing and added interest leads to more money. More money leads to increased player commitment. Increased player commitment should lead to better results - and the cycle continues.

Make no mistake, cricket needs West Indies to do well. Especially test cricket. TV and corporate interests around the world would kill for the return of calypso cricket in the longer format. The windies' decline is a HUGE reason why the longest form of the game has suffered in certain parts of the world.

It may seem ridiculous, but these two tests against Zimbabwe - if they even go ahead - are really, really important. We'll learn a lot about the makeup of this group, depending on what level of professionalism and hunger they can bring against a fellow minnow with 15 people watching, compared to the whole cricket world watching in England.

NineMiles 2017-09-19 03:57:31 

In reply to mikesiva

Looking at the WI squad for the ODIs starting today, I think this is a team you can support despite it not being a T20 series...don't you agree? lol

mikesiva 2017-09-19 14:51:55 

In reply to NineMiles

No.
cool
This team is a cross between the t20s side and the test side.

Neither will do as well as the t20s side. That's where the money is. That's where the main priority lies. Lil bravo and Samuels will most likely give priority to the Bangladesh t20s.

mikesiva 2017-10-01 08:43:12 

In reply to clokey

"Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has confirmed it will host West Indies for a short tour comprising two Tests in Bulawayo later this month. This will be Zimbabwe's first Test engagement since their tour of Sri Lanka in July. The first Test will be played from October 21-25, while the second one will follow from October 29. Both matches will be played at the Queens' Sports Club. A three-day warm-up from October 15 will precede the series opener."

More here