The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Windies: How they got their groove back

ProWI 2017-09-15 13:54:37 

.....And changed the face of T20 Cricket

./....but their Test cricket was dying a slow death.

natty_forever 2017-09-15 13:57:11 

In reply to ProWI... was?

Halliwell 2017-09-15 15:02:28 

Meanwhile, playing for different domestic teams around the world, West Indians continue to recalibrate what was considered possible in T20. They have produced the format's leading run scorer, the highest wicket-taker, the two most frugal bowlers with over 100 wickets, the top two six-hitters, and the first four players to reach 300 T20 matches. They are at the cutting edge of innovations in T20, with both bat and ball, perhaps contributing more to the format's on-field evolution than any other cricket nation.

Like it or loathe it, they did it. cool

imusic 2017-09-15 15:16:09 

In terms of money, while players from cricket's wealthier nations - especially Australia, England and India - are rewarded well to play all three formats, Caribbean cricketers have been able to earn far more traversing the T20 circuit than representing West Indies in all forms. As of 2016, a West Indies player could earn $225,000 a year representing the side in all three formats; leading Caribbean T20 players earn around $1 million a year from domestic leagues.

Tryangle 2017-09-15 15:35:26 

In reply to imusic

A serious gap. A no-brainer for the likes of Gayle, Narine, etc.

imusic 2017-09-15 15:59:52 

In reply to Tryangle

Australian Tom Moody has observed what distinguishes West Indies players in T20. "They have embraced their strengths - and their strength is power and speed. And they have allowed their players to play with freedom... If they block three balls and hit three balls over the ground, well, 18 off an over's pretty good, isn't it? But not everyone's capable of doing that. When teams and coaches and analysts look at trying to build a side, it's very difficult to be able to build a side that is just the West Indian model. Generally in franchise cricket, every team is looking for a couple of players of those capabilities - the power-hitters - but there's only so many of them around that are successful."

Ganga's comments are telling:
According to Ganga, Stanford gave T&T a "competitive advantage. We were a lot more comfortable playing in pressure situations." They married this confidence with intense preparation. "We were meticulous. We analysed what other teams were achieving in T20 cricket from the point of view of dot balls, where they were after six overs, how they approached the middle overs, and where they scored in the death overs. We used that information to suit our style of play."

POINT 2017-09-15 17:30:16 

In reply to ProWI

Look for years in this Forum I have
been at pains to tell Everyone in the Rum Shop , what measures were taken
to make Our 20/20 Players the best in the World .

Frankly what is written here , I have stated years ago , in essence this is merely a repeat of many of the things
I have stated .

Interestingly I also stated that the
Former Great Players who were in charge of the 20/20 Format of the game honed OUR Players to be the best
in the World .

The Performances of Our Players is tangible proof of their Success .I also stated that if the People in the Worst International Cricket Board in the Commonwealth followed the Template set by those who controlled
the shortest format of the game , in the longer versions of the game Our
Players would be very competitive in those versions of the game .

openning 2017-09-15 20:41:47 

In reply to imusic
Bro, Ganga's record as the captain of T&T, speaks for it self.
He is one of the best regional captains/leaders, base on team performance