The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Roll call for all Triple C bredrens

black 2017-09-20 06:26:24 

If you live in a hurricane ravaged area or elsewhere, please check-in with us and let us know that you are ok.

ray 2017-09-20 08:26:08 

I am ok...Jose caused some high waves and major overreaction in NY cool

Anyway, good luck to whomever are affected by these hurricanes as well as the earthquake

black 2017-09-20 10:20:52 

In reply to ray

Do you know anyone affected?

ray 2017-09-20 10:42:44 

In reply to black

yes, I have a cousin and his family in BVI

They are safe

black 2017-09-20 10:46:10 

In reply to ray

Glad to hear.

Runs 2017-09-20 11:08:15 

Can we start a fundraising effort to assist?

black 2017-09-20 11:20:35 

In reply to Runs

I brought it up last week, "people in the know" said it was logistically challenging.

Runs 2017-09-20 11:22:59 

In reply to black

Ok, a friend told me it was best if we can assist individuals as it does not get to them.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 11:37:39 

In reply to Runs & black

Ok, a friend told me it was best if we can assist individuals as it does not get to them.
Family-friends in St. Martin (22 of them) are homeless after the hurricane passed through. Family & friends here are helping them there directly.

I've done some online-reviews for other organizations helping Texas, Florida, & the rest of the Caribbean. I've supported those which are deemed top-notch.

I bet it would be a great help to go down and physically help in the rebuilding of buildings and what not... but only so much one can do... sad sad sad

SnoopDog 2017-09-20 11:58:07 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

A family friend of mine from BVI lost her house, car, and job. She's already moved back the NY city where she used to live.

The insurance claims will take years to sort out so she's cut her losses and is now back in the arms of Uncle Sam.

black 2017-09-20 12:15:57 

In reply to SnoopDog

How long do you think it will take for things to return to normal?

SnoopDog 2017-09-20 12:20:10 

In reply to black

It could be years Bro.

Runs 2017-09-20 12:41:24 

In reply to SnoopDog

Friend of mine out here on LI, NY just got her insurance money from Sandy. Said it was a nightmare, plenty of push around.

black 2017-09-20 12:48:45 

In reply to Runs

The whole flood insurance business it flawed. The Government should not be in the flood insurance business.

SnoopDog 2017-09-20 13:02:19 

In reply to Runs

Friend of mine out here on LI, NY just got her insurance money from Sandy. Said it was a nightmare, plenty of push around.

I'm not surprised Bro.

Insurance companies don't make money paying out claims. Their policy is usually to deny deny deny until they absolutely have to pay out.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 13:20:22 

In reply to SnoopDog & Runs

In reply to Runs

I'm not surprised Bro.

Insurance companies don't make money paying out claims. Their policy is usually to deny deny deny until they absolutely have to pay out.

I'm not surprised either. Besides the fact that Insurance companies don't make money paying (as Snoop said).... they have to also guard against fraudulent people making claims as well. Which happens ALL THE TIME....

It's a bitter process either way....

SnoopDog 2017-09-20 13:52:06 

Yep. Agreed.

The fraudsters always make it harder for everyone else. It's why their investigations sometimes take forever to complete.

Runs 2017-09-20 13:55:53 

Lotsa folks in Fl did not have or canceled their flood insurance. They are now stuck with flooded out homes with no money to fix.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 14:28:41 

In reply to Runs

Lotsa folks in Fl did not have or canceled their flood insurance. They are now stuck with flooded out homes with no money to fix
Well.... sad to say... but the truth hurts.... when you make a decision in life (this one, to live in Florida and to cancel your flood-insurance because they haven't had a flood since when)you have to live with the consequences.

I'm not bad-mouthing any of them... but that's how the cookie crumbles. The weather is great most of the year there... but it can come at a price.... once a year or once every 20 years... that's the RISK involved....

Runs 2017-09-20 15:30:15 

Risk said once every 100 years am not a betting man but that seemed like good odds to cancel.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 15:44:38 

In reply to Runs

100 years?

Wasn't there Andrew back in the 90's.... that caused widespread destruction? That was 20-odd years ago in same Florida....

Listen, if you live by the beach or along the coastal shoreline... the risk of flooding is ALWAYS there.....

black 2017-09-20 15:45:50 

In reply to Runs

Risk said once every 100 years am not a betting man but that seemed like good odds to cancel.

Who can predict what is going to happen 10 years from now, much less 100 years?

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 15:49:10 

Hurricane Andrew was a Category 5 Atlantic hurricane that struck the Bahamas and Florida in mid-August 1992, the most destructive hurricane to ever hit the state. It was the strongest in decades and the costliest hurricane to make landfall anywhere in the United States until it was surpassed by Katrina in 2005. Andrew caused major damage in the Bahamas and Louisiana, but the greatest impact was felt in South Florida, with sustained wind speeds as high as 165 mph (270 km/h). Passing directly through the city of Homestead in Dade County (now known as Miami-Dade County), it stripped many homes of all but their concrete foundations. In total, it destroyed more than 63,500 houses, damaged more than 124,000 others, caused $26.5 billion in damage,[nb 1] and left 65 people dead.

Try again, Runsy....

Runs 2017-09-20 16:09:15 

Link Text

Runs 2017-09-20 16:14:46 

Some may find useful.

Please share with anyone you know in this position.

If anyone is in touch with anyone in hurricane ravaged areas please stress how important it is for them to keep all receipts, as well as records of EVERY phone conversation with FEMA, insurance companies, banks, mortgage companies, etc. (date of conversation, name of person, and with FEMA, I think they also have an employee id #). Yes, it is very stressful and difficult, but it will help them later on when the second nightmare begins...

Difficult time to think about this but will make the whole process easier in the long run..

Most importantly is to document everything with photos and a detailed log of every conversation.

This a very difficult situation that you never expected to need this information. God bless you and good luck with the never ending paperwork.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 16:24:50 

In reply to Runs

That article only proves my point....

“Property owners are very interested in insurance issues when the water is rising after a hurricane,” he said. “What every person in Florida should be asking is, ‘What do I need to do to protect the treasures of my life?’ Think about that when the sun is shining, not when water is 2 feet deep in the living room.”

Expectation and Reality are very different.

The 72-year-old widow carried flood insurance on her home years ago, then let it lapse after learning her neighborhood in The Villas in south Fort Myers was only expected to flood every 100 years.
You see where Fort Myers sits, Runs? Along a river that leads directly to the Ocean...

Homeowners face a big misconception when interpreting the flood risk. For example, FEMA defines a “non-special flood hazard area” as an area that is in a “moderate-to-low risk flood zone.”
“The term ‘lower risk’ has been translated to ‘no risk’ and as a result there’s an imaginary line that this is where the flooding stops, so I don’t need flood insurance,” he said. “The water doesn’t know where those lines are. It goes until it stops moving. Nearly one in four flood claims occur in these areas.”

Runs 2017-09-20 16:41:46 

Am not here to win arguments or score cheap points in these times of calamity, human despair and need.

RemainsUnknown 2017-09-20 20:03:50 

In reply to Runs

Man, neither am I. Just calling it as I see it.