The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

I was offered bribe to drop ferry probe*

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:05:29 

I was offered bribe to drop ferry probe*
Mark Bassant testifies before Joint Select Committee:

A woman claiming to be the close friend of a Government official offered TV6 investigative journalist Mark Bassant a “six-figure” bribe to drop his investigation into the ferry fiasco.
So claimed Bassant, the author of the Gap in the Bridge 13-part series, as he responded to questions from Joint Select Committee (JSC) member Wade Mark on Monday night.

“I got threats from people. I got offers of inducements. I had people witness it where somebody came up to me at a function and said, ‘Let’s make this all go away, I’ll write you a cheque tomorrow.’ And she was dead serious.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:06:37 

AMNESIA*
MOUTTET REPORT REVEALED: Port CEO can't recall contact from Baja Ferries offering 'Cabo Star'

I do not recall.
That in a nutshell is what suspended acting CEO of Trinidad and Tobago Inter-island Transport (TTIT) Leon Grant told sole investigator Christian Mouttet when questioned on whether Baja Ferries, the original owner of the Cabo Star, had made contact with him offering the vessel to the port prior to the appearance of Bridgemans.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:08:54 

‘I never knew anything about the ‘Cabo Star’*
until...Bridgemans placed it on the table’

Suspended acting CEO of Trini­dad and Tobago Inter-island Transport (TTIT) Leon Grant maintained yesterday he did not receive any e-mail from Oscar Ruano, CEO of Baja Ferries.
He was responding to a question from member of the Joint Select Committee Wade Mark on the issue which had been raised by the Prime Minister in his testimony on Monday.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:13:45 

Cops nabbed carrying $2m ganja in patrol SUV

Two police officers were last night assisting their colleagues in investigations, after they were held transporting an estimated $2 million in marijuana, three illegal firearms and several bottles of alcohol in a marked police vehicle in Cedros on Tuesday.

Link Text

To protect and serve T&T Finest, they most likely will be transferred to Tobago.

We jamming

Headley 2017-09-21 10:46:27 

In reply to sgtdjones

Shortly thereafter, Bridgemans purchased the same vessel from Baja Ferries and successfully approached the port and secured the contract.

I never knew it was so easy. big grin

Well, well, well.

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:49:40 

In reply to Headley

Wanna go 50/50 we could buy a ferry and lease it.

As the saying goes "a fool and his money soon parted."

lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:50:44 

In reply to Headley

AS the economy of Tobago is slowly destroyed

WE jammin.

cool cool cool

SnoopDog 2017-09-21 10:54:28 

In reply to sgtdjones

AS the economy of Tobago is slowly destroyed

Don't be so glum. Goat racing in Buccoo will take off again Bro. lol

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 10:56:31 

In reply to SnoopDog

Dem spent 5 million to make a goat racing track.

Ah serious.

We jammin

lol lol lol

SnoopDog 2017-09-21 11:01:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

They could have just as easily used that money to install brass poles at the Trini Posse stand at the Oval. big grin

Then we would all be jammin. big grin

Emir 2017-09-21 11:30:36 

Offered a bribe but will pay with a check

DAVE400 2017-09-21 13:38:36 

In reply to Emir

good spot...mark bassant full of shite

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 15:48:05 

In reply to SnoopDog

Rather than explore what the individual is saying

WE attack

sad sad

Emir 2017-09-21 18:21:19 

I got threats from people. I got offers of inducements. I had people witness it where somebody came up to me at a function and said, ‘Let’s make this all go away, I’ll write you a cheque tomorrow.’ And she was dead serious.

This Basant feller is being exposed in Trinidad, many are calling him a fraud.

Last night in a political and current affair talk show the people were calling in asking why he did not contact the police for a sting operation.

Still others are asking about paying a bribe with a checque.

sgtdjones 2017-09-21 19:00:40 

Who said that Trini's are the smartest one about.

Look at the government they elected.

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

DAVE400 2017-09-22 09:26:07 

In reply to Emir

I am fairly certain the line about Sinanan being part of owner of Bridgeman's is a lie..

Almost 100% certain actually.

Emir 2017-09-22 09:55:36 

In reply to DAVE400

Yes, he may not be the best manager but he is clean

sgtdjones 2017-09-22 10:08:59 

On another issue, Persad-Bissessar queried if Rowley had reported to the police that a known People’s National Movement (PNM) activist had offered an inducement to Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan to get the contract for the passenger and cargo vessels. This was revealed by Rowley in his testimony before the JSC, she said.

“This would amount to an attempted criminal offence, where a person is saying…in the possible nature of a bribe. And then, when the minister heard it, did he report it to the police or anyone else? This could amount to misbehaviour in public office. If it was not reported, why?”

sgtdjones 2017-09-22 10:31:37 

Port CEO: Minister's meddling caused concern

JSC enquiry into ferry fiasco...

CEO of the Port Authority Charmaine Lewis said she had concerns over Works Minister Rohan Sinanan “instruction” to now suspended CEO of the T&T Inter-Island Transportation Company Ltd (TTIT) Leon Grant to go and inspect the Atlantic Provider even before the Port's evaluation process for a cargo vessel began.

Quoting the language allegedly used by the minister, Lewis during testimony to the Joint Select Committee at the Port of Spain Waterfront Complex on Wednesday night, said the minister told Grant: “Dem fellas and dem have a barge and they's normally bring rigs from Miami]”.

She said the minister indicated he thought the barge would be suitable for the inter-island route.

“That conversation took place even before the evaluation and the formal submission of the barge to the Port, she said, turning to Grant (who sat on her left) for confirmation.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2017-09-22 10:40:06 

Kamla: Secret deal in ferry scandal

Some $20 million paid by TT for the Ocean Flower II, which arrived in TT on Wednesday, cannot now be retrieved (despite contract cancellation), said Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar, at a news briefing at her office yesterday.

“Letters of credit (LOC) are not revocable,” she said, citing Lord Diplock in a 1958 case. “The bank cannot withdraw from its liability to pay, even if instructed by the buyer to cancel the credit.”

Link Text

Awwwwwwwww its only 20 million no big deal.