The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Amazon

black 2017-09-22 08:43:19 

This company is on pace to becoming a giant monopoly, putting department store out of business or close to going out of business.

Should it be broken up in the future?

Prako 2017-09-22 09:34:38 

In reply to black

Seeing what the government did to Bell Labs in the Telecommunications industry, this might be something the regulatory body would be keeping an eye on

ray 2017-09-22 09:47:13 

I remember when niche marketing was the thing to do...now companies getting into multiple areas

pelon 2017-09-22 10:16:28 

In the early to mid 1990's Walmart fired the first shots at mom and pop retail, years onward Amazon took a cluster bomb to those that remained.

In the chess game, Walmart themselves are now aiming to become an online behemoth, with the same market strategy: low price, fast ship, no questions asked returns.
The Great Irony: Small retail shops in many cities are now turning to the same Amazon and becoming online merchants... in some instances shipping to customers in the same zip code. Strange.

bravos 2017-09-22 10:33:44 

In reply to black

Check this out.. Only win!

Having said that I don't think stores would ever be completely replaced..and even before Amazon they have been declining.

black 2017-09-22 10:57:50 

In reply to pelon and Bravos

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, they are simply doing a better job than the competition, on the other hand, monopolies have proven to be bad for consumers.

POINT 2017-09-22 11:00:02 

In reply to bravos

Well Home Depot , a small Hardware Store became a Giant USA Behemoth . It
closed down all small Hardware Stores ; where One used to get much more personal attention than One gets now at any Home Depot .

I know for a fact that Home Depot , was the first Large Hardware Store to operate in Long Island , and they set up stores all over Long Island , in fact it took Lowes the other giant Hardware Store , 10 years before Lowes was able to put a Store in Long Island .

black 2017-09-22 11:07:20 

In reply to POINT

Should it be left up to competition or should the government step in?

POINT 2017-09-22 11:33:17 

In reply to black

I really do not have a fixed opinion on that matter . The gist is that it is all about Survival of the Fittest .

The Question is this :

IS THIS GOOD FOR THE

SOCIETY AS A WHOLE ???????

black 2017-09-22 11:51:15 

In reply to POINT

The Question is this :

IS THIS GOOD FOR THE

SOCIETY AS A WHOLE ???????

In the short term but once they get a stranglehold on the markets, they will start to dictate prices.