The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Apple is giving design a bad name

doosra 2017-09-24 16:56:16 

do you agree?

this from the father of Usability

pelon 2017-09-24 17:12:41 

In reply to doosra

Apple has stagnated but remains the powerhouse player in Mobile devices. I think the killed their laptops/personal computing to focus the market on phones??? (discuss)

They have become the Mircosoft of Cell Phones: dominant, less innovative.

The days of Apple impressing me ended in 2015, other than the hyperbole, they are growing one dimensional.

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-09-24 17:15:27 

In reply to doosra

Fit my hands perfectly....just saying.

You might want to consider the flip phone wink

doosra 2017-09-24 17:23:03 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Fit my hands perfectly....just saying.

yea,
they lean towards making things smaller these days indeed

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-09-24 17:29:59 

In reply to doosra

That was a big phone you found to be a bad design wink

Norm 2017-09-24 18:29:16 

In reply to doosra

Didn't many of the issues being complained about exist right from the first Apple mobile, and desktop, devices?

Apple's biggest achievement was, and is, a very successful campaign to have consumers worship its products, while turning a blind eye to its faults.

doosra 2017-09-24 18:31:57 

In reply to Norm

Actually, no. They have been tinkering with their guidelines and practices along the way. The article points out a few.

But now they've apparently gone a bit more crazy on design and less on usability

Norm 2017-09-24 18:47:13 

In reply to doosra

Actually, no.

Right from the very beginning I found that Apple desktop products I used for work "bombed" frequently - more so than Windows products. Apple products "looked better" and was "more user friendly", but that was both subjective and coming from Apple and its own worshipers.

So, isn't the importance of these "guidelines and practices" Apple made? Maybe it is really their public brainwashing campaign that is failing - that needs tinkering with.

doosra 2017-09-24 19:13:56 

In reply to Norm

They didn't do the whole usability design thing but they were more interested in it back then than now.

They actually incorporated research elements into their guidelines and practices. So not entirely their own

JahJah 2017-09-25 10:50:10 

In reply to Norm

But it's not actually Apple's, or it's worshiper's, fault that Windows suck.

JahJah 2017-09-25 10:51:22 

Never had any problems with any of the Apple products I use since I made the switch a decade ago. Before I used to go through Windows shyte pretty much yearly. Control Alt Delete was going out of style to rass.

I must be lucky as hell.

Knock wood.